GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I've been running a JB1 @ 5psi/ 93 octane for years and love it. Definitely gives the car an "OEM+" vibe, like it should have been that way to begin with.

You won't be the fastest thing on the road, but you'll like the car even more than you do now. :)
I know with some (most?) tunes the stock clutch on the 6MT is a goner; true for JB1 as well?

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Any suggestions on what to fill rocker panel screw holes with? Looking to put on OEM Golf R side skirts on my GTI and won't be reusing all the GTI side skirt screws.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
I've been running a JB1 @ 5psi/ 93 octane for years and love it. Definitely gives the car an "OEM+" vibe, like it should have been that way to begin with.

You won't be the fastest thing on the road, but you'll like the car even more than you do now. :)
Cool, that's just what I'm looking for. I already had the clutch and intercooler upgraded so I should be good to go.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
I know with some (most?) tunes the stock clutch on the 6MT is a goner; true for JB1 as well?
Unfortunately, I can't really speak to that as I'm on a DSG platform. I'd guess a lot of it has to do with what shape the clutch is in to begin with. The JB1 certainly won't benefit a clutch that's already slipping, but I'm not sure the HP/TQ numbers afforded by it would kill a "healthy" clutch, either.

Maybe someone who's been down this road can chime in with their experience. There's also the resident JB1 thread here.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
JB1 won't be as torquey so in theory the clutch would last longer than on a "real" tune.
Your driving habits will make a big difference though- no WOT until over 3k rpms, and only use 5th/6th gears for mild acceleration or cruising. My clutch held up fine for years on a low torque tune, even after slipping in 4th from 3k a couple times on a cold morning

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT

Seconding what @BadHombre760 said, I ran a JB4 93 octane tune (albeit with the 1.8T) for over 30k miles and experienced zero clutch issues, and I think I'm probably a little harder on my my car than I should be considering that, though I only do launches for autox, which is just a handful of occasions per year.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Thanks, all! I hadn't really considered tuning at all given warranty and that it's a city daily driver, but seems like the JB1 is interesting for a bit more pep without as many of the trade-offs, hadn't heard of it until this week.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
If you stick one of these through your hood, it might help. Plus chicks dig gramaphones.

Attachments

• gat89_002-MF-3819289010.jpg
    gat89_002-MF-3819289010.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 23

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
@StorableComa

Would this work or is the design not correct?

That looks like it'd be too wide, here's a cheap terminal set on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Depinning-Electrical-Connector-Extractor-Automotive/dp/B0922GF9W8

Otherwise if you've got the money to spend/want to be overprepared or expect to do more projects like this in the future,I bought this and have been pretty happy with it:
https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-95978-19-Piece-Master-Terminal/dp/B001BFQ3UY/

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So I have been complaining about my clutch feel for about a year now and it seems to be just getting worse. I have the Southbend Stage 3 daily and it has about 35,000 miles on it now and ~25 track days of abuse. ( I did not expect to track at all when I installed it - should've gotten the S3 endurance) It still functions fine and can do 4th and 5th gear and even 6th gear pulls at low rpm (not that i am doing these) without issue. It can get going in first gear with no gas if I release slow enough. It has never has slipped. It just feels like shit shit starting from a stop thats all. The engagement point feels like its lower than it should be. IDK i dont remember how it was exactly when It was new. Admittedly I did not do the best job of breaking in the clutch. I did 500 miles before really beating on it but it wasn't all stop and go.

I have tried bleeding the clutch, removing the delay valve from bleeder block, and removing the clutch assist spring. I dont think a clutch stop would help because of how low the engagement is currently.

Both NGP & Wolf Autopower test drove and don't think anything is wrong. IDK if i am crazy.

My iABED RMS is also leaking so ill have to remove the transmission again eventually... Sadly I didn't buy from FCP so not looking forward to forking out another 3 grand for the Stage 3 Endurance + Install. Though I read the stage 3 endurance uses the same pressure plate as stage 3 daily and my S3 daily friction disc doesn't seem to be the issue so maybe I should get something else.

Any ideas or suggestions for a new clutch? Between clutch a suspension refresh I might just get out of the car at this point.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
So I have been complaining about my clutch feel for about a year now and it seems to be just getting worse. I have the Southbend Stage 3 daily and it has about 35,000 miles on it now and ~25 track days of abuse. ( I did not expect to track at all when I installed it - should've gotten the S3 endurance) It still functions fine and can do 4th and 5th gear and even 6th gear pulls at low rpm (not that i am doing these) without issue. It can get going in first gear with no gas if I release slow enough. It has never has slipped. It just feels like shit shit starting from a stop thats all. The engagement point feels like its lower than it should be. IDK i dont remember how it was exactly when It was new. Admittedly I did not do the best job of breaking in the clutch. I did 500 miles before really beating on it but it wasn't all stop and go.

I have tried bleeding the clutch, removing the delay valve from bleeder block, and removing the clutch assist spring. I dont think a clutch stop would help because of how low the engagement is currently.

Both NGP & Wolf Autopower test drove and don't think anything is wrong. IDK if i am crazy.

My iABED RMS is also leaking so ill have to remove the transmission again eventually... Sadly I didn't buy from FCP so not looking forward to forking out another 3 grand for the Stage 3 Endurance + Install. Though I read the stage 3 endurance uses the same pressure plate as stage 3 daily and my S3 daily friction disc doesn't seem to be the issue so maybe I should get something else.

Any ideas or suggestions for a new clutch? Between clutch a suspension refresh I might just get out of the car at this point.
If your engagement point is moving lower, it could be a slowly failing TOB, but there's not a lot to go on in your description of the issue. Is it grabby and hard to modulate? Does it stall too easily?

Also, what engine/transmission mounts do you have and how old are they? Mounts that are worn out can definitely make 1st and 2nd a pain because there's so much slop, the drivetrain is jerking around.