GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
AFS fault

How do you change the cornering bulb on a 7.5? All I see are vids for the 7......def not the same

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
AFS fault

How do you change the cornering bulb on a 7.5? All I see are vids for the 7......def not the same

ALSO

Can you even change out the cornering led on a mk7.5?

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
Stupid question time! Exhaust clamps. Are there certain brands that are better than others? Bought a used DP and they didn’t sent any of the old hardware.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Sorry to disappoint you, but there are no legal LED bulbs that will work in a halogen housing - no matter how much BS deAuto pushes out on the forums. Conversion kits
I didn’t say anything about legal, nor did OP. But practically speaking, there are options that work without scattering light. LED bulbs have come a long way in the last few years.

cb1111

I didn’t say anything about legal, nor did OP. But practically speaking, there are options that work without scattering light. LED bulbs have come a long way in the last few years.
They are illegal for good reasons. Unless DeAuto has found a way to get around the laws of physics (or optics depending on how you look at it), there is no way to dump an LED bulb into a halogen housing and get accurate light - you might get brighter, but you won't get better.

I think the clincher was when deAuto asked a potential customer to disassemble his LED housing so that they could recreate it. Manufacturers spend millions on R&D for lighting and these clowns use smoke and mirrors to bamboozle the customer.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
They are illegal for good reasons. Unless DeAuto has found a way to get around the laws of physics (or optics depending on how you look at it), there is no way to dump an LED bulb into a halogen housing and get accurate light - you might get brighter, but you won't get better.

I think the clincher was when deAuto asked a potential customer to disassemble his LED housing so that they could recreate it. Manufacturers spend millions on R&D for lighting and these clowns use smoke and mirrors to bamboozle the customer.
I don't know what to tell you. I have first-hand experience and they are brighter, put out more usable light onto the road, and they don't glare at oncoming drivers. It's not a perfect solution, but it's an improvement over most halogen bulb options for our headlights. I used to build custom headlights and I know a lot about light patterns and matching bulbs to housings. It's no skin off my back if you don't believe me, but I know what I see.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I don't know what to tell you. I have first-hand experience and they are brighter, put out more usable light onto the road, and they don't glare at oncoming drivers. It's not a perfect solution, but it's an improvement over most halogen bulb options for our headlights. I used to build custom headlights and I know a lot about light patterns and matching bulbs to housings. It's no skin off my back if you don't believe me, but I know what I see.
This mirrors my experience with my wife's Tiguan halogens and a kit from deauto (hid, not led though). Pattern is actually great, very focused with a nice sharp cutoff, no blinding or dazzling oncoming traffic (we've passed each other coming and going many times) and I can actually see at night when driving her car. The stock lights were such garbage it actually felt unsafe driving at night before I upgraded.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I have DEAuto lights as well- nice solid beam on headlights and drl/high beam. No issues.

In Florida they don’t care about lights - you could have hyper pink and they wouldn’t care.

I used to have hyper blue fog lights and nothing was ever said to me on my older car.

There are some newer vehicles whose headlights are still brighter and blind the shit outta me compared to mine on the GTI

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I don't believe there is a model anywhere without an armrest - manual parking brake or not.

It wasn't standard on the GTE.