GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Anyone know what the measurement is from wheel center to top of wheel arch, for OEM height?

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Anyone know what the measurement is from wheel center to top of wheel arch, for OEM height?

I took these measurements and some other unnecessary ones at all four corners best I could before doing my suspension. I kept them in my build thread for this very day. Based on the info I'd say it's roughly 14-3/8"

Front-Driver: 26 1/4" fender to ground. 14 3/8" fender to hub. 12 1/8" hub to ground.
Front-Passenger: 26 3/8" fender to ground. 14 1/2" fender to hub. 12 1/4" hub to ground.
Rear-Driver: 26 3/8" fender to ground. 14 1/4" fender to hub. 12 3/8" hub to ground.
Rear-Passenger: 26 3/8" fender to ground. 14 1/4" fender to hub. 12 1/2" hub to ground.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I took these measurements and some other unnecessary ones at all four corners best I could before doing my suspension. I kept them in my build thread for this very day. Based on the info I'd say it's roughly 14-3/8"

Front-Driver: 26 1/4" fender to ground. 14 3/8" fender to hub. 12 1/8" hub to ground.
Front-Passenger: 26 3/8" fender to ground. 14 1/2" fender to hub. 12 1/4" hub to ground.
Rear-Driver: 26 3/8" fender to ground. 14 1/4" fender to hub. 12 3/8" hub to ground.
Rear-Passenger: 26 3/8" fender to ground. 14 1/4" fender to hub. 12 1/2" hub to ground.
talk about "johnny on the spot"......thanks so much! This helps as I'm supposed to install some coilovers tomorrow

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG

This needs to get stickied someplace for eternity.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Does anyone have any idea of if ceramic coating a downpipe is worth it? How much of an impact will it actually have?

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
You're in Chicago so anything to protect against rust is never a bad idea.
The rust isn't my main concern - was really concerned about heat management. @jay745 any input?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
talk about "johnny on the spot"......thanks so much! This helps as I'm supposed to install some coilovers tomorrow

This needs to get stickied someplace for eternity.
Not to burst anyone's bubble but this isn't the right way to measure. Doing it this way factors in the tires, and how much wear on the tire. The way to measure taking that out of the equation is fender arch to hub center. That way you can compare car to car without tires throwing off the measurements.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
The rust isn't my main concern - was really concerned about heat management. @jay745 any input?
It's not a bad idea but probably not worth the hassle. You could wrap it in exhaust wrap yourself for a lot cheaper than ceramic coating.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
It's not a bad idea but probably not worth the hassle. You could wrap it in exhaust wrap yourself for a lot cheaper than ceramic coating.
Appreciate it!

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
That measurement is in there, if I'm understanding you correctly. The others, as I mentioned, are probably needless.
Woops sorry read too fast. Fender to hub is the only good measurement. Fender to ground and hub to ground arent

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Woops sorry read too fast. Fender to hub is the only good measurement. Fender to ground and hub to ground arent

How many 2x4s is that?

Knndysk

come to think of it...i do have a 'stupid' question.

The ASR/ESC button... when you turn it off, does the button itself light up along with the icon on the dash? Mine does not, i'm just wondering if that's normal. Because my driving mode button lights up.
What’s the ASR/ESC button? Is that the traction control button?