GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Has anyone tried to seal the door speaker leaks by just sealing it from the outside using flex tape....?

I have never taken out a rivet before and I'm seeing too many pictures of people jacking up their speakers and then raming screws in...
Doesn't seem any cleaner than just cutting a nice strip of flex tape and going all around the speaker?

No one will ever see it... and supposedly flex tape lasts 30 years.... and it actually does work... Is this a bad idea? lol

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
I got some MK5 wheels with some meaty winters on them, do I need hub rings? They are on steelies so I assume yes? I cant find info on the steelies but is correct bolt pattern

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
https://youtube.com/shorts/-imi3rx5GRc?feature=share

After MPI install, uploaded the map everything was solid, went out did a run no issues. When I parked my car starts idling weird a pulsing, like it's mini revving. I'm not home yet which is when I plan to look into this. If anyone knows what could possibly look into when I get home let me know.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Check all over to ensure no boost leaks at the manifold.

Got ya I'll check that.

I plan to revert back to non MPI map, and see if issue persist.

Yesterday after I was done with entire MPI install I decided to do a run it on my non MPI map making sure no issues with manifold. I made it to 122mph before I let off, racing. No issues at all no leaks or anything. I figured if a boost was gonna show up it would of show last night. But who knows.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
My passenger side helix headlight hid low beam stopped working (pre facelift). Figured it was the bulb and ordered replacement. Before they arrived it, it started working again intermittently. Assuming that’s the ballast? Anyone know what kit I need?
Indeed that does sound like a ballast.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Got ya I'll check that.

I plan to revert back to non MPI map, and see if issue persist.

Yesterday after I was done with entire MPI install I decided to do a run it on my non MPI map making sure no issues with manifold. I made it to 122mph before I let off, racing. No issues at all no leaks or anything. I figured if a boost was gonna show up it would of show last night. But who knows.
Logs are always helpful.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Logs are always helpful.
Problem Solved.

Faaaaaaaakk!!!! It's my dumb ass fault. once I switched to my MPI map, i decided to finally plug in the sensor that's next to the oil filter. In order to get to the sensor I had removed the oil filter, but I opened the oil cap first and open the dip stick to let the oil run off the filter faster.

After plugging the sensor in I put back oil filter and push down the dip stick. I go start the car up everything is solid. Doing some pulls everything is good no CEL. Until I put it in park, idles weird. On the drive home car is perfectly fine again no issues I decide to give a boost again, everything is solid.. I make it to the light, I switch from Park to Drive. It idles weird in Park only switch to drive it's perfect. I decided to do it again to make sure, suddenly check engine light comes on. And it's doing it in drive now. I figured great, now I can see what code is. It drives home perfectly fine, I park and pop the hood. My engine bay is FILLED WITH OIL! My oil cap is gone!! Faaaaaak! I must of not secured it before I drove off being to excited to test out my new Map and MPI! Now I got to power wash my damn Engine, tomorrow morning and try to get an oil cap at the stealership. 🤡

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Has anyone tried to seal the door speaker leaks by just sealing it from the outside using flex tape....?

I have never taken out a rivet before and I'm seeing too many pictures of people jacking up their speakers and then raming screws in...
Doesn't seem any cleaner than just cutting a nice strip of flex tape and going all around the speaker?

No one will ever see it... and supposedly flex tape lasts 30 years.... and it actually does work... Is this a bad idea? lol
I see you're in south florida. I had to replace my speakers couple months ago bc they blew. I took it to Audio Logic Car Audio.
Its right off turnpike and pines blvd. Just recently I took it back because I kept having water being left in the rear door every time it rained hard. I wish I took a picture what they did to fix it. They ended up putting a material around the area where the speaker mounts. They took great care of me and I'm picky on who handles my car. The job was fairly cheap and didn't take long.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I see you're in south florida. I had to replace my speakers couple months ago bc they blew. I took it to Audio Logic Car Audio.
Its right off turnpike and pines blvd. Just recently I took it back because I kept having water being left in the rear door every time it rained hard. I wish I took a picture what they did to fix it. They ended up putting a material around the area where the speaker mounts. They took great care of me and I'm picky on who handles my car. The job was fairly cheap and didn't take long.
RTV, Silicone, or Butyl tape seem likely for that application.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
RTV, Silicone, or Butyl tape seem likely for that application.

...or Flex tape....? (And just tape all around over the speaker seal without ever removing it)

I'm curious because it would avoid having to drill out the rivets, and negate any issue when applying and re-sealing correctly... only drawback will be its kind of hard to get off, but it really should keep all the water out...
Would there be any problem sealing it like that from the outside? Thats what I wonder....

Thanks Anthony! I might throw the towel and have someone do it but honestly interior work I have learned is something you kind of want to do yourself if you want it done right :( Requires extra finesse....

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Problem Solved.

Faaaaaaaakk!!!! It's my dumb ass fault. once I switched to my MPI map, i decided to finally plug in the sensor that's next to the oil filter. In order to get to the sensor I had removed the oil filter, but I opened the oil cap first and open the dip stick to let the oil run off the filter faster.

After plugging the sensor in I put back oil filter and push down the dip stick. I go start the car up everything is solid. Doing some pulls everything is good no CEL. Until I put it in park, idles weird. On the drive home car is perfectly fine again no issues I decide to give a boost again, everything is solid.. I make it to the light, I switch from Park to Drive. It idles weird in Park only switch to drive it's perfect. I decided to do it again to make sure, suddenly check engine light comes on. And it's doing it in drive now. I figured great, now I can see what code is. It drives home perfectly fine, I park and pop the hood. My engine bay is FILLED WITH OIL! My oil cap is gone!! Faaaaaak! I must of not secured it before I drove off being to excited to test out my new Map and MPI! Now I got to power wash my damn Engine, tomorrow morning and try to get an oil cap at the stealership. 🤡

At least you can justify getting the R8 oil cap now😋

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
...or Flex tape....? (And just tape all around over the speaker seal without ever removing it)

I'm curious because it would avoid having to drill out the rivets, and negate any issue when applying and re-sealing correctly... only drawback will be its kind of hard to get off, but it really should keep all the water out...
Would there be any problem sealing it like that from the outside? Thats what I wonder....

Thanks Anthony! I might throw the towel and have someone do it but honestly interior work I have learned is something you kind of want to do yourself if you want it done right :( Requires extra finesse....
I was figuring the other shop put stuff around the outside versus removing the speakers. Not sure about flextape, never used it before. I think one issue might be that if you let water get underneath the speaker, by sealing around the outside, then it gets trapped there and could start causing issues. Might be the lesser evil compared to having the car flood when it rains though. You can always give it a try as its not too hard to remove the door panels.