GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I called my local APR dealer today for quote on install of APR stage 3 IS20 tune.... retail online says 500$..I imagine 1-2hours of labor (150-200$ more) but I was quoted 975$ to software flash a tune...
Does this seem normal? I feel like they are doubling their margin on this.
That’s not normal at all unless they’re including some other support items with it like new plugs. But even then that’s high. Install for just the tune should be 1hr labor at most. Get a written estimate to see what’s included.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI SE 6MT
This is a REALLY stupid question. I bought a CarGo net but can't find where it connects at the top. I swear on the MK6 it was super obvious but on my MK7.5 I've looked three times and can't figure it out. Please help my brain do thinky things.

Also, the new cargo net sold by ECS for a stupid amount of money is absolute garbage and a waste. The OG version that folded over itself and had a zipper was actually useful.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
This is a REALLY stupid question. I bought a CarGo net but can't find where it connects at the top. I swear on the MK6 it was super obvious but on my MK7.5 I've looked three times and can't figure it out. Please help my brain do thinky things.

Also, the new cargo net sold by ECS for a stupid amount of money is absolute garbage and a waste. The OG version that folded over itself and had a zipper was actually useful.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The Mk6 net was awesome, it held cargo tight to the floor spanning the entire hatch so you didn’t have stuff rolling around back there.

I’m aware of cargo blocks, but never use them because the boxes I ship regularly occupy the entire space of the hatch so in those instances 1-3 times a week I’d have no room for the cargo blocks.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI SE 6MT
Yeah I was annoyed when I unpacked the new net and saw how shitty it was. My local former-GTI friend might have the MK6 net in storage somewhere so I'm hoping I can snag that. That being said, I swear the MK6 had anchor points for the hooks everywhere but the MK7 you have to use the webbing on the grocery bag hooks? Wack.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The Mk6 net was awesome, it held cargo tight to the floor spanning the entire hatch so you didn’t have stuff rolling around back there.

I’m aware of cargo blocks, but never use them because the boxes I ship regularly occupy the entire space of the hatch so in those instances 1-3 times a week I’d have no room for the cargo blocks.
You can use a floor net in mk7s too

1663429450862.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017TJB9CM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3H3VFI98ZH1GY&psc=1

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Yeah I was annoyed when I unpacked the new net and saw how shitty it was. My local former-GTI friend might have the MK6 net in storage somewhere so I'm hoping I can snag that. That being said, I swear the MK6 had anchor points for the hooks everywhere but the MK7 you have to use the webbing on the grocery bag hooks? Wack.
Ya kind of disappointing for a car that's so refined but honestly in the 3+ years that I've used it it's never come undone or been an issue

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Okay. I got one. How are torque specs determined on bolts and such? Is there a formula based on material and size of the bolt?

I ask because I'm getting ready to do a Haldex service and it says to torque the two bolts that hold the pump to the unit to 7 ft lbs. Why not 10?

Just got me thinking.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Okay. I got one. How are torque specs determined on bolts and such? Is there a formula based on material and size of the bolt?

I ask because I'm getting ready to do a Haldex service and it says to torque the two bolts that hold the pump to the unit to 7 ft lbs. Why not 10?

Just got me thinking.

Because 10nm converted to standard is 7ft lbs.

I’m not an engineer, but there’s probably a formula based on what materials the threads and hardware are.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Anyone know how I can connect 70mm Mishimoto charge pipes to a Do88 intercooler? Both inlet and outlet are 70mm on the intercooler and the charge pipes, but the silicone couplers provided are 70/63.5. Just would need to find a supplier for the silicone hoses, if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it!

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
When there are revisions to part numbers, does the latest revision always follow alphabetical order? I.E., part 55555555C is newer than 55555555B