GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
can i do just racing line lowering springs and call it a day, i don’t really care about handing i just want the wheel gap out and i like going fast in a straight line. Can i run just lowering springs without messing anything up? ty in advance
Yes

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Google will do those conversions for you, just search "100lbs to kg" or whatever you're trying to convert

DTMKGT

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7 1.4 GT
Another stupid question, can anyone help me find information on 2016 GT a R Line which doesn't have a driving mode button? they are 1.4 litre 150 BHP? so does this mean only one driving mode, and no eco 2 cylinder mode? Did have a 2013 MK& GT which had this button, any help greatly appreciated. Kind Regards

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
I don't think the cylinder deactivation is something you control. It just does it automatically when certain values line up (throttle position, load, gear, revs, speed, etc).

Shams

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
I want to build my GTI up to 400hp and I'm not really sure where to start. I know i'm going to have to upgrade my turbo, fmic, downpipe, and prob the fuel pumps but I also want to keep the car as reliable as possible.. I don't want to be building and worrying about blowing something. Also something I seem to be struggling with at the moment is what kind of brand do I go for? Like who makes the best product for power.. I'm trying to research and increase my knowledge but there is no shame in reaching out for help. To learn more about cars I'll also be installing everything myself along with a friend of mine that is good with cars.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I want to build my GTI up to 400hp and I'm not really sure where to start. I know i'm going to have to upgrade my turbo, fmic, downpipe, and prob the fuel pumps but I also want to keep the car as reliable as possible.. I don't want to be building and worrying about blowing something. Also something I seem to be struggling with at the moment is what kind of brand do I go for? Like who makes the best product for power.. I'm trying to research and increase my knowledge but there is no shame in reaching out for help. To learn more about cars I'll also be installing everything myself along with a friend of mine that is good with cars.
if ethanol is available to you: is38, hpfp, e85 tune
and yes intercooler + downpipe
also set aside funds for mounts, tires, clutch or dsg tune
an intake and catback wouldn't hurt either

Shams

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
if ethanol is available to you: is38, hpfp, e85 tune
and yes intercooler + downpipe
also set aside funds for mounts, tires, clutch or dsg tune
an intake and catback wouldn't hurt either
Thankfully my mk7 came with a racingline intake system and a racingline exhaust. Would you say a lpfp would be worth getting as well? If so what are the better brands in IC and DP? I've seen a lot of APR, CTS, MAP, IE..
Spark plugs and an inlet pipe would be a smart idea since I'm upgrading from stock turbo correct?

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Thankfully my mk7 came with a racingline intake system and a racingline exhaust. Would you say a lpfp would be worth getting as well? If so what are the better brands in IC and DP? I've seen a lot of APR, CTS, MAP, IE..
Spark plugs and an inlet pipe would be a smart idea since I'm upgrading from stock turbo correct?
I don't think a lpfp would be necessary unless you get a hybrid turbo (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...)

Pretty much any intercooler will be sufficient, so you can spend $300 for a twin-cooler (fmic with pipes that also utilizes the stock ic) or $900 for an OEM location cooler for pretty much the same results.

If you really want the "best" then take a look at Baun Performance but note there will probably be a waitlist of a few weeks or months and the price isn't pretty. My CTS downpipe was $500 and gets the job done but doing it over again I'd probably go with 034 (cast, stock location cat, flexpipe). The ARM unit looks like a great bargain

Yes add an inlet pipe to the list. Spark plugs are subject to debate on this forum, many people prefer stock range Ruthenium plugs despite every tuner I've seen recommends 1 step colder such as the NGK RS7 plugs. They're cheap enough you can try running both to see if there's one you prefer over the other

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Theres a Trackslag 4" DP for sale in the Classifieds. I think Florida doesn't have emissions? The 4" Trackslag will allow the turbo to spool a little faster (~500RPM).
Keep an eye open in the Classified section. Lots of "gently" used turbos/intercoolers for sale.

ilovemyeggcar

Car(s)
2018 gti
I’m about to buy coil overs and a good shop near me said the labor to install them is 875 and i know that is too much, i was wondering what some of y’all were charged if you went to a shop and got coilovers installed. ty

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I’m about to buy coil overs and a good shop near me said the labor to install them is 875 and i know that is too much, i was wondering what some of y’all were charged if you went to a shop and got coilovers installed. ty
If it includes the alignment, which it should, that's actually not unreasonable. How close are you to @GTI Jake ? Shoot him a PM and see what he would charge you.