GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
Have you asked APR? I suspect their answer is "we don't recommend it blah blah blah" to cover their butts, but I'm curious.
Not yet. I don't expect anything on a long Holiday weekend. You're 100% right on the generic response I'm likely to receive, but want to have a conversation with them about it. Just going after low-hanging fruit here on the forum to see if anyone has done it. It ultimately depends what exactly is unique between their aftermarket DP files from OE DP files. If it's just O2 sensor stuff...that's totally benign and shouldn't matter. If they are asking for more load/boost earlier & later along with timing and fueling changes to fully take advantage of flow..that's a different matter

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Not yet. I don't expect anything on a long Holiday weekend. You're 100% right on the generic response I'm likely to receive, but want to have a conversation with them about it. Just going after low-hanging fruit here on the forum to see if anyone has done it. It ultimately depends what exactly is unique between their aftermarket DP files from OE DP files. If it's just O2 sensor stuff...that's totally benign and shouldn't matter. If they are asking for more load/boost earlier & later along with timing and fueling changes to fully take advantage of flow..that's a different matter
Would an analog be running a stage 2 tune on the stock DP? I feel like the ECU would constantly be correcting for parameters it's not tuned for, since it's expecting faster spool and higher exhaust flow. Just a guess.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Would an analog be running a stage 2 tune on the stock DP? I feel like the ECU would constantly be correcting for parameters it's not tuned for. Just a guess.
I think there are EGT controls to protect the stock cat that get removed or reduced in a stage 2 tune as well. I would think the most likely outcome of running that file with a stock DP would be destroying your factory cat.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Aloha! I’ve been trying to get a better understanding of data on datazap and had a look at the log you posted here. I didn’t see hpfp duty % as an available parameter (or maybe I’m confusing hpfp effective pump volume?). Am I missing something?

https://datazap.me/u/superfreak/v107a?log=0&data=3-8-14-18-19-25-26-27-28-44

1662562668612.png

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Im pretty sure APR still offers the IS38 on stock DP tune.. when i upgraded early this year to the HT file, i recall It was available when i was Shooting the shit with the tech. Reach out to APR

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
At 27psi with 4 degrees with a hybrid? Sure. That log doesn't state what gear and I'm betting it's 3rd.
At half throttle, really? I'm just going off his original post:

I have an occasional hiccup going uphill at about 1/2 throttle around 3.5~4K RPM in 3rd/4th gear. It feels almost like clutch slip except the car still pulls, just feels like power gets cut. Full tank, no wheelspin. Have not logged since its only happened 3 times or so in the last 6 months. 49K miles, tuned the last 6 months.
Clutch starting to slip? Fueling issue? Put in Ruths?

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI SE 6MT
Hi all, it's been many years, I used to be an active regular on golfmk6 (remember the old Chicagoland chat threads?). Anyway, nearly 10 years after moving to the BMW M world, I'm looking to get a used MK7. Shooting for 2019-2021 SE or Autobahn 6MT with low miles and not tuned. I remember back in the day there was some simple way to tell if a car was tuned at some point (dealer scan? press some combination of buttons on the stalk? etc.) Is this still a thing, or how can I be reasonably sure that the car is not tuned? With reports I've read of weak clutches, plus my own experience of clutch slipping at Stage 2 on my MK6, I really want to take some precautions in hope that I don't get a car with the dreaded slipping clutch. I do realize that it really depends on how the previous owner drove it but I figured checking for a tune would be a start. Thanks in advance!

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
At half throttle, really? I'm just going off his original post:

I have an occasional hiccup going uphill at about 1/2 throttle around 3.5~4K RPM in 3rd/4th gear. It feels almost like clutch slip except the car still pulls, just feels like power gets cut. Full tank, no wheelspin. Have not logged since its only happened 3 times or so in the last 6 months. 49K miles, tuned the last 6 months.
Clutch starting to slip? Fueling issue? Put in Ruths?
Maybe you should look at the log and see what it's actually requesting at half throttle. Could be clutch slip. Could be tire spin. Need better logging solution than what Eurodyne has.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Maybe you should look at the log and see what it's actually requesting at half throttle. Could be clutch slip. Could be tire spin. Need better logging solution than what Eurodyne has.
I tried, but couldn't make sense of it. I'm not doubting you, I just find it odd that he would get tire spin at part throttle at 3500 in 4th.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
If I'm going up a steep hill and suddenly spool the turbo to 27psi I would fully expect my tires (also indy 500s) to spin a bit, and he has a hybrid is20

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
T
Im pretty sure APR still offers the IS38 on stock DP tune.. when i upgraded early this year to the HT file, i recall It was available when i was Shooting the shit with the tech. Reach out to APR
They do, it's just a file that dates back to 2016. A specific stock DP file was not written for the updates done a couple of years ago. That's why I ask.

I do have an e-mail out to APR. Just waiting on a response.