GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
When mine were off didn’t bother to upgrade those for 2 reasons, 1. Low miles. 2. The only bushing I would have been upgrading was the inner control arm connection point since I wasn’t interested in pressing out and in the bushing on the rear spindle while it was on the car since that’s at the wheels side and should see more defection anyways.
you knew where I was coming from.....wanted to do any prep before reusing these bad boys. Good to know I'll just leave 'em....only had 37k on them anyways when I removed them

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I have seen some people have the AP cord coming out through the driver side AC vent. How tricky is it to get the wire in there?

ilovemyeggcar

Car(s)
2018 gti
okay i just got a obd11 and i accidentally cleared 3 check engine codes and i was just wondering if there was a way to get those back or will it like do anything to my warranty
also i got the pro pack (blue one) that i thought was supposed to come with 200 credits but didn’t so i bought 100. i was also just wondering how things work with that like i put on urban joke v2 but it didn’t work when i used my turn signal and i also applied the roll up and down windows with the key fob but it’s not working now i don’t know if there’s somthing in the car i need to change for that one but if there is i also don’t know where to change that one, ty in advance

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
you knew where I was coming from.....wanted to do any prep before reusing these bad boys. Good to know I'll just leave 'em....only had 37k on them anyways when I removed them

I only upgraded the rear trailing arm bushing when I was upgrading things.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
okay i just got a obd11 and i accidentally cleared 3 check engine codes and i was just wondering if there was a way to get those back or will it like do anything to my warranty
also i got the pro pack (blue one) that i thought was supposed to come with 200 credits but didn’t so i bought 100. i was also just wondering how things work with that like i put on urban joke v2 but it didn’t work when i used my turn signal and i also applied the roll up and down windows with the key fob but it’s not working now i don’t know if there’s somthing in the car i need to change for that one but if there is i also don’t know where to change that one, ty in advance

This run-on sentence is breathtaking.

Any troubles I've had using my OBD11 I've solved on the OBD11 forums. Lots of activity there, including OBD11 support/techs.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
It would probably benefit you to read up on how engine codes work. The general idea is it's a sensor that has a valid range, and if the sensor pulls a reading outside of that range, it gets logged as a trouble code. If you clear codes and they don't come back, it's usually nothing to worry about... because the sensor stopped producing readings outside of a valid range.

With that said, most of these cars produce 2-3 codes after a few years. There's one for no satellite radio subscription, and I think the other is volkswagen carplay or something? Just check out the modules next time you scan and see which errors you have. A good number of them can be ignored.

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I'm looking for some door/tweeter speaker upgrades that work with the Helix system. Are the JL C1-650 considered the go-to with an existing Helix system? I'm looking to upgrade both the front and rear speakers to something that's more clear/defined.

Dubblue

Car(s)
Vw golf 2.0 tdi nav
Anyone elses parking brake ever not release? Meaning I release the lever, PARK light turns off on the dash, but then when trying to get moving you can feel the brake fighting you... this happened once before years ago and then again today
It happened to me during last winter , I just put it down to cold weather . It's quite dangerous though as I have been moving from a stop at red lights etc . Thankfully drivers behind me have been switched on . I briefly researched the problem and only thing I seem to find is the loom going from brake calipers to main loom gets affected by water ingress etc but cant be seen from outside the wiring loom .

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
What is the path to e85 on an IS20? How does E mixing work? Can I start with an % blend of E and blend to E85? What hardware do I need?

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
What is the path to e85 on an IS20? How does E mixing work? Can I start with an % blend of E and blend to E85? What hardware do I need?
MPI at a minimum, and potentially a LPFP depending on how hard you push the turbo from my research.

E mixing is only useful if you don't have a flex tune, and mainly used to bump up octane or solve knock issues on pump tunes. Normally mixing upward of E30 is fine on most tunes and stock hardware. Though you can get a tune for a specific E blend, like an E-50 blend, or such.

Hardware otherwise depends on tune and and such. You can either do an external gauge/BT module like Fuel-It or Innovate, no gauge with a direct flex sensor signal to the ECU and a ecu gauge reader, or a combo of both. Normally people use water testing kits when blending and a app or other Ethanol calculator to figure out how many gallons of pump and e85 based on Eth %. Really depends on what you plan on doing for your tune, as some of this can be specific to that your chosen tuner or platform for tuning.

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
I'm looking for some door/tweeter speaker upgrades that work with the Helix system. Are the JL C1-650 considered the go-to with an existing Helix system? I'm looking to upgrade both the front and rear speakers to something that's more clear/defined.

Not something I've experienced myself, and I don't know how prevalent it is, but I read of quite a few people popping the amps in the Helix system when they ran aftermarket speakers. It's what put me off getting it.

If the amps are a bit fragile, then getting something with a similar sensitivity and impedance curve to the stock drivers could help.

Something easy to drive and designed as a stock speaker upgrade, rather than something that you'd definitely want an amp for.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
MPI at a minimum, and potentially a LPFP depending on how hard you push the turbo from my research.

E mixing is only useful if you don't have a flex tune, and mainly used to bump up octane or solve knock issues on pump tunes. Normally mixing upward of E30 is fine on most tunes and stock hardware. Though you can get a tune for a specific E blend, like an E-50 blend, or such.

Hardware otherwise depends on tune and and such. You can either do an external gauge/BT module like Fuel-It or Innovate, no gauge with a direct flex sensor signal to the ECU and a ecu gauge reader, or a combo of both. Normally people use water testing kits when blending and a app or other Ethanol calculator to figure out how many gallons of pump and e85 based on Eth %. Really depends on what you plan on doing for your tune, as some of this can be specific to that your chosen tuner or platform for tuning.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I have watched a few videos on the topic. Now I have more questions and more to learn.

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
Anybody run an ECU tune intended for a catted aftermarket DP on the OE DP? Any real consequence beyond not meeting "advertised" output figures?

Looking at IS38 on my GTI and staying with OE DP and want to stay in the APR ecosystem. Unfortunately the file for the OE DP didn't get updated with the rest of the files a couple years ago to have the added LSPI protection, low-torque options, FWD specific files, etc. Want to be on the latest files, but without a DP.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Anybody run an ECU tune intended for a catted aftermarket DP on the OE DP? Any real consequence beyond not meeting "advertised" output figures?

Looking at IS38 on my GTI and staying with OE DP and want to stay in the APR ecosystem. Unfortunately the file for the OE DP didn't get updated with the rest of the files a couple years ago to have the added LSPI protection, low-torque options, FWD specific files, etc. Want to be on the latest files, but without a DP.
Have you asked APR? I suspect their answer is "we don't recommend it blah blah blah" to cover their butts, but I'm curious.

That being said, if you're willing to jump ship, EQT is working on an IS38 stock DP tune. I'm sure it will be great and will be the latest and greatest.