GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Anyone elses parking brake ever not release? Meaning I release the lever, PARK light turns off on the dash, but then when trying to get moving you can feel the brake fighting you... this happened once before years ago and then again today

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Anyone elses parking brake ever not release? Meaning I release the lever, PARK light turns off on the dash, but then when trying to get moving you can feel the brake fighting you... this happened once before years ago and then again today
Only after every time it rains.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Lol it did rain last night... but my car was in the garage. I did wash it earlier in the day though, still out of the ordinary 🤷‍♂️
Yeah if you washed it and then direct pulled it in the garage it’s the pad sticking to the rotor for a moment, when I do that mine will “pop” when I start to back up

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Anyone been saving up for mod "A", only when you start actually seeing a decent amount being stored up, start looking at everything else you can afford right now, and lose sight of mod "A"? Aerofabb front splitter is doing that to me right now.....whispering in my ear, trying to make me lose sight of a BBK.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Here’s my whisper - macan diy is not a “BBk” upgrade from a PP caliper… for a street car we really only want BBks for looks, the macan looks no bigger cause it’s still running a 340 or 345 rotor and honestly even powder coated it’s not even a sexy shaped caliper, it’s popular cause it cheap, but it still looks small in a good 18” wheel. Atleast go ttrs with the fatty 370 rotors.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Here’s my whisper - macan diy is not a “BBk” upgrade from a PP caliper… for a street car we really only want BBks for looks, the macan looks no bigger cause it’s still running a 340 or 345 rotor and honestly even powder coated it’s not even a sexy shaped caliper, it’s popular cause it cheap, but it still looks small in a good 18” wheel. Atleast go ttrs with the fatty 370 rotors.
🤷‍♂️I think the 345mm rotor fills out a 18' wheel nicely. Obviously the 370mm rotors are bigger but there's also an obvious difference between 2 and 4 pot calipers......

20220730_112517_resized.jpg

Last edited:

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
2.5mm closer to wheel barrels over OEM pp…
Works out to roughly 15.71mm in additional surface area if we're talking about "filling out". That's not to say that the 340mm rotors don't fill out the wheels nicely. I think those look nice as well. YMMV

The real crime is the rear brakes. 310mm is passable but the 272mm rear on my S? Laughably small. What I'd love is for someone to figure out a master cylinder upgrade for these cars that will let us go big with the rear as well without giving up brake feel.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Still a fixed 4 piston caliper vs. single piston floating caliper. Performance wise, especially track performance, that's a pretty big upgrade.

As far as visual upgrade, I agree, it's much less impactful if you have PP calipers already. But non-PP calipers, the visual upgrade is huge. At the same time, I don't recall reading about anyone upgrading from PP calipers to Macan's and citing the looks as a reason, When most people seem to go PP to Macan, it's performance.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
ain't going Macan AJ.......TTRS is what I'm shooting for.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
🤷‍♂️I think the 345mm rotor fills out a 18' wheel nicely. Obviously the 370mm rotors are bigger but there's also an obvious difference between 2 and 4 pot rotors......

View attachment 257913
that definitely looks better than even my PP calipers.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Quick question - is there a difference between master cylinders in a PP/non-PP car? APR support is saying there is...but I don't ever recall hearing that before.