GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
So I've been burning some oil recently, and I think it may be a bad PCV.

I've read on a few threads that the test is to remove the oil cap with the engine running.

When I do this I notice several things

- The engines idle increases a little, but otherwise runs fine
- There is a strong suction on the oil cap
- There is also a film of oil around the cap

Does this sound like a bad PCV?

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Last edited:

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Let us know how it goes.

But if you dont mind my saying, give yourself a few days for more knowledgeable people here to give advice, too. I am not a mech, just a layman who reads a lot.

As one wise man here said, "dont just swap in parts until you have diagnosed the problem" ~Jim Lloyd, RIP

Last edited:
Reactions: krs

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Not sure if this is stupid or not - what hardware should I be replacing/planning to replace when replacing a turbo?

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Look up any of the IS20/IS30 turbo install kits. turbo/downpipe gaskets, exhaust stud/nuts, and various o-rings.
That's such an obvious solution, I'm a little embarrassed I didn't think of it. Thank you!

Odinpig

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI, Mk6 2.5
This was rattling around at large in my hood since I got the car. I finally fished it out the other day with a magnet. Anything to worry about or just a random fuckup at the factory?

PXL_20220706_232137854.jpg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
This was rattling around at large in my hood since I got the car. I finally fished it out the other day with a magnet. Anything to worry about or just a random fuckup at the factory
pretty sure that's the one that holds the motor together. part out.
It’s definitely engine bay screw…. Time to look for holes

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Can you disable the auto parking brake "feature" that happens when you open the door while the car is moving? Sometimes I like to open my driver side door a little as I back into spaces and the car immediately stops.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Can you disable the auto parking brake "feature" that happens when you open the door while the car is moving? Sometimes I like to open my driver side door a little as I back into spaces and the car immediately stops.

I used to do that in the 90’s before I learned how to drive.

Can’t answer your question though. Good luck. 🙂

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
The way my garage is, I need a good lower view on both the left and right. However, only the right mirror dips on reverse. Don’t feel like manually dipping the left and bringing it back up every time I back into my garage.