GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Almost crashed my car again. 4 way stop. Car on the right goes first. Then the one in front and then I was up. Had my turn signal to make a left, I proceed to make the left once the car in front of me went and as I'm already making the left the car that was next couldn't wait or was retarded and ran the stop sign like if I wasn't making a turn. Had to swerve hard asf, honked at him. My friend flicked his ass off since he was in the passenger. Stupid driver's in South FL (aa Hialeah). Close call, glad he didn't hit me.

Anyways, I got an inspection message coming up on my dash. How do you reset this? Car is creeping up at 70k. OBD 11 I can't manage to find a reset for the inspection.
I believe it's a long-press of the 0.0 button on the odometer with key on, ignition off -- like a longer version of the oil change reset button. Then when it prompts, press 0.0 to confirm.

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
So I have a 2016 vw golf tsi and purchased rims for my car ( NS 1507)and can't find any info on if the stock lugs will work. The ones i have are round where the thread meet the head and wonder if I need flat of slanted.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
So I have a 2016 vw golf tsi and purchased rims for my car ( NS 1507)and can't find any info on if the stock lugs will work. The ones i have are round where the thread meet the head and wonder if I need flat of slanted.
You probably have to reach out to the wheel manufacturer or the vendor your bought them from. VW uses ball seat nuts (the rounded shape you are describing); most aftermarket wheels use conical seats (slanted), but not all do. Asking on here is kind of a long shot of hoping someone has these wheels and happens to know.

cb1111

You probably have to reach out to the wheel manufacturer or the vendor your bought them from. VW uses ball seat nuts (the rounded shape you are describing); most aftermarket wheels use conical seats (slanted), but not all do. Asking on here is kind of a long shot of hoping someone has these wheels and happens to know.
Right
Gee, you could ask on a forum about wheels that aren't very common, or you could reach out to the manufacturer https://ns-wheels.com/wheels/ns1507/

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Picking up an isweep front brace....it bolts up to a hole near the dog bone mount.....anyone know what those bolt holes are....M8? it isn't coming with any hardware.
isweep.jpg

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
They couldn't give me an answer, they said call back when the manager is back from vacation.
I realize it may be too late to return them, but I'd be wary of running wheels from a company that can't quickly and easily tell you what hardware their wheels require.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I realize it may be too late to return them, but I'd be wary of running wheels from a company that can't quickly and easily tell you what hardware their wheels require.
Agreed, assuming he bought them new.

If you're familiar with wheels, it's pretty easy to tell with your eyes whether the lugs should be conical (OEM style) or tapered. Compare your OEM wheel lug holes to the aftermarket. Conical are usually a straight bored hole with a rounded seat. Tapered have a straight bored hole with a tapered (flat angle) seat. There are standard tapers, but you have to get the right one. Conical is conical, you can reuse your OEM bolts unless you've added a stud kit or spacer. In that case, you better know what you're doing or you could kill yourself.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Is it sketch to drive around if a coil has a broken lock tab? I figure it's fine since it's fairly snug in place but want to make sure I'm not gonna blow the engine on the freeway lmao

image_2022-07-03_122049734.png

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Agreed, assuming he bought them new.

If you're familiar with wheels, it's pretty easy to tell with your eyes whether the lugs should be conical (OEM style) or tapered. Compare your OEM wheel lug holes to the aftermarket. Conical are usually a straight bored hole with a rounded seat. Tapered have a straight bored hole with a tapered (flat angle) seat. There are standard tapers, but you have to get the right one. Conical is conical, you can reuse your OEM bolts unless you've added a stud kit or spacer. In that case, you better know what you're doing or you could kill yourself.
conical and tapered are the same thing. they are flat, look like a cone. Used by most aftermarket wheels.

VW OEM lugs are ball seat, AKA spherical.