GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I propose that we play "six degrees of Kevin Bacon" whenever we get a "my xyz broke, is it covered under warranty because I'm tuned?" question.

This fellow AC issue - dealer or elsewhere? | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum just asked about his AC. My first reaction was "there is no connection" but later I thought "is there a scenario where a tune could affect the operation of the AC?" It clearly depends on what was "tuned", but I'm thinking that we could give more comprehensive answers if we said "Unrelated, however if...."

Dealers are becoming even more risk averse these days and I think we should point out unintended consequences - no matter how farfetched it may be.
Dealers have no say in what is covered under warranty. They try to discourage warrantied repairs because they can't gouge you for the work.

cb1111

Dealers have no say in what is covered under warranty. They try to discourage warrantied repairs because they can't gouge you for the work.
That's one of those old wives' tales. Dealers like to keep the customer happy by doing warranty work because that way they'll get the customer to come back for other stuff.

What dealers don't want is for VW to charge back warranty work because VW determined that the damage was most likely caused by a mod. Some dealers have been burned by approving warranty work, VW determined that the problem was caused by a mod and VW charged back the dealer. Those dealers will often deny claims because they go to great lengths to connect mods to a failure.

Dealers do have the first "say" about what is covered under warranty. If an educated customer disagrees, then they can call VW and argue their case.

That is why it is important for customers to get educated about all of the possible pitfalls of a mod - including those that are nearly impossible - but theoretically possible.

I had a BMW dealer try to tell me once that my driveline warranty was "void" because I had aftermarket wheels. I did, but they had the identical offset, size and weight of the OE wheel and the manufacturer was an OEM and made some BMW wheels. The dealer said "any aftermarket wheels will void your warranty". I asked to use his phone to call BMWUSA and we got that straightened out pretty quickly, but how many other customers would have bought that - hook, line and sinker?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Since wwarrantyIs the topic, I am going through an ordeal right now. My drivers side mirror delamenated and the glass fell off. Went to the deal and had them look at my headlights while i was there. Dealer looked at both and took pictures. Today i finally got a call back. Dealer states the mirror would be covered no problem, but the headlights was denied by VOA. The headlights are spiderwebed and cracking on the inside of the lens. Dealer states VOA claims external causes is why they are cracked. The outside is smooth. First time ever with warranty work, so I have no idea what to do next.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Since wwarrantyIs the topic, I am going through an ordeal right now. My drivers side mirror delamenated and the glass fell off. Went to the deal and had them look at my headlights while i was there. Dealer looked at both and took pictures. Today i finally got a call back. Dealer states the mirror would be covered no problem, but the headlights was denied by VOA. The headlights are spiderwebed and cracking on the inside of the lens. Dealer states VOA claims external causes is why they are cracked. The outside is smooth. First time ever with warranty work, so I have no idea what to do next.
What exactly makes headlights spiderweb and crack on the inside? UV? If it’s uv damage I can see why they’d say that. Sadly.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Have no idea. Looking for a way to contact VOA to file a dispute.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Speaking of warranty stuff (I may have posted this elsewhere): I had my clock spring go out a few weekends ago and I am out of warranty by a few month. After some research, determined that certain VINs have an extended warranty on the clock spring itself. I called up my local dealer and they told me that my clock spring was covered until 2027/120,000 miles. Set up an appointment, took it in, got lucky because they had the part in stock, took it in and had it fixed and the trim replaced under the recall as well.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Does a deadset kit actually have an impact? I see everyone installing it with an FSB or LCA and commenting on the improved steering feel - but I'm left unsure if it's the LCA/FSB or deadset kit.
I think if you're doing a FSB you may as well do the dead set kit as well. The subframe needs to be dropped so thats the time to do everything at once since it's got to get realigned.

I've never heard of anyone doing all three mods, but just one at a time. That would be thr only person who could tell us the real impact of the dead set kit on its own.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I think if you're doing a FSB you may as well do the dead set kit as well. The subframe needs to be dropped so thats the time to do everything at once since it's got to get realigned.

I've never heard of anyone doing all three mods, but just one at a time. That would be thr only person who could tell us the real impact of the dead set kit on its own.
So I'm probably just going to do the FSB. If I get any weird clicking or popping pre-alignment then I'll do the deadset kit.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Has anyone ever had a tire valve fall out or did someone fuck with my tire?

99% someone fucked with your tire.

1% freak of nature event.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Almost crashed my car again. 4 way stop. Car on the right goes first. Then the one in front and then I was up. Had my turn signal to make a left, I proceed to make the left once the car in front of me went and as I'm already making the left the car that was next couldn't wait or was retarded and ran the stop sign like if I wasn't making a turn. Had to swerve hard asf, honked at him. My friend flicked his ass off since he was in the passenger. Stupid driver's in South FL (aa Hialeah). Close call, glad he didn't hit me.

Anyways, I got an inspection message coming up on my dash. How do you reset this? Car is creeping up at 70k. OBD 11 I can't manage to find a reset for the inspection.