GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Are 19" wheels really that bad? I see so many posts about "harsh ride quality" 🤔
There's a difference, but it really isn't that bad. If the roads around you are terrible, might not be worth the risk of damaging them though. The tires are also a big factor. The factory all seasons are a pretty garbage tire, so swapping up to 19" wheels with halfway decent summer tires did result in a little less compliance, but the steering feel is improved and turn in is sharper. Overall, I thought it was a good trade off, especially considering how much better 19's look proportionally.

cb1111

If you are keeping the stock diameter then you must reduce the tire to accommodate the bigger wheel. Less tire sidewall=harsher ride. Or you can go dump truck, but then it is less aesthetically pleasing.
Yeah, an accurate speedometer or odometer are way overrated.

Cop - You were speeding
You - no, it is OK, I have oversized tires

Then there may be issues with clearances, but that's OK too - the body or suspension bits crashing into your tires over bumps shouldn't be too bad...

1651076561314.png

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Does the car revert to one of the driving 'modes' by default after key cycling? I thought I had left it in Eco mode today, but 22.5 psi getting on the highway disagreed. IIRC Eco normally only allows for 9 PSI or so, so I'm curious if the car reverts back to another mode when ignition is turned off and then later turned on.

If this is the behavior, is there any way to have it 'stick' to the mode selected, rather than have it revert? TIA

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Stupid thought: Does the accerator feel like it has deadzone for anyone else? I FEEL as tho I have no response till 10% its very odd to explain.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Stupid thought: Does the accerator feel like it has deadzone for anyone else? I FEEL as tho I have no response till 10% its very odd to explain.
OEM programming felt like that to me. With the tune, 10% throttle gets you going quickly.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Driver profile settings..."eco mode"??........ 🤷‍♂️

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Anyone run an 8mm spacer w/o a lip on the rears w/o issue? Looking at adding 3mm front, 8mm rear.