GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
With keyless start is there any way to unlock the steering wheel without battery power?

Samb

Car(s)
Golf MK7
Hello, I'm having an issue with my Golf where the "vehicle status" and "digital cockpit" shows multiple errors when I try to start it. When I try to start the vehicle, this happens. I understand it's an electrical problem, but I'm not sure what it may be because the power steering and all other electrical equipment work as they should when the ignition is turned on. The car, however, will not crank or start.

The only way I can start the car is to unplug a headlight connector, and it will start without any errors popping up. When the car starts, it may turn off after a few seconds (very rarely). In addition, for the first time, when travelling at around 16mph on a public road, the engine turned off, the errors reappeared. However, the car's other electrical and mechanical system, such as the headlights, infotainment system, digital cockpit, and brakes, all worked perfectly.

I had to replace my low beam (H7) bulb on the left hand side because it had gone out, As a result, I decided to replace both H7s as well as install LED high beam lights on the car. (This is why I decided to unplug a headlight.) I had the vehicle inspected by the company who carried out the work and they couldn't figure out what the issue may be (it was their first time of hearing about such a thing).

Also, the headlights come with the ballasts (and everything else they need to work), and they don't appear to be of low quality, and they come with a 12-month warranty. In addition, I had the vehicle diagnosed by two electricians, who were unable to detect any problems.

Please see the accompanying photographs for a visual representation of the problems that appear on the screen.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

*UPDATE*

The problem has been solved. It had to do with corroded wiring beneath the battery, which had to be replaced.

Attachments

• C011043E-DCAA-4F3F-A39D-422A72EB43A4.jpeg
    C011043E-DCAA-4F3F-A39D-422A72EB43A4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • 573B508F-05E3-45EA-B176-D09E7A579896.jpeg
    573B508F-05E3-45EA-B176-D09E7A579896.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • 70CDF59D-BB4C-473E-9CCC-909C5CA6DE69.jpeg
    70CDF59D-BB4C-473E-9CCC-909C5CA6DE69.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello, I'm having an issue with my Golf where the "vehicle status" and "digital cockpit" shows multiple errors when I try to start it. When I try to start the vehicle, this happens. I understand it's an electrical problem, but I'm not sure what it may be because the power steering and all other electrical equipment work as they should when the ignition is turned on. The car, however, will not crank or start.

The only way I can start the car is to unplug a headlight connector, and it will start without any errors popping up. When the car starts, it may turn off after a few seconds (very rarely). In addition, for the first time, when travelling at around 16mph on a public road, the engine turned off, the errors reappeared. However, the car's other electrical and mechanical system, such as the headlights, infotainment system, digital cockpit, and brakes, all worked perfectly.

I had to replace my low beam (H7) bulb on the left hand side because it had gone out, As a result, I decided to replace both H7s as well as install LED high beam lights on the car. (This is why I decided to unplug a headlight.) I had the vehicle inspected by the company who carried out the work and they couldn't figure out what the issue may be (it was their first time of hearing about such a thing).

Also, the headlights come with the ballasts (and everything else they need to work), and they don't appear to be of low quality, and they come with a 12-month warranty. In addition, I had the vehicle diagnosed by two electricians, who were unable to detect any problems.

Please see the accompanying photographs for a visual representation of the problems that appear on the screen.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Those faults are all to do with the ABS module.....it needs a scan & the fault codes need to be looked at.....it could be a bad earth connection, loose wire, etc...or it could the fact the battery is on its way out...so that needs to be checked...

Is the car second hand?...has it had a facelift front end retro fitted?

Samb

Car(s)
Golf MK7
Those faults are all to do with the ABS module.....it needs a scan & the fault codes need to be looked at.....it could be a bad earth connection, loose wire, etc...or it could the fact the battery is on its way out...so that needs to be checked...

Is the car second hand?...has it had a facelift front end retro fitted?
Yes, the vehicle is pre-owned. Also, the previous owner facelifted it to a Golf R Spec, and I've been told to install larger earth wires for the headlights because the new bulbs (H7/LED) are more powerful and require more power (They are brighter than the previous bulbs), and I'm not sure the battery is about to fail because when the car wants to start normally as it should, it takes a single crank/2 seconds/starts quickly enough for me not to suspect the battery.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yes, the vehicle is pre-owned. Also, the previous owner facelifted it to a Golf R Spec, and I've been told to install larger earth wires for the headlights because the new bulbs (H7/LED) are more powerful and require more power (They are brighter than the previous bulbs), and I'm not sure the battery is about to fail because when the car wants to start normally as it should, it takes a single crank/2 seconds/starts quickly enough for me not to suspect the battery.

A lot of DIY "facelifts" are bodge jobs..many to hide the fact the cars been in a front end smash....so they raid a crashed top spec car & throw the stuff on...I've seen many MK7 so called "upgraded" to MK7.5..which doesn't fit 100%...as the shut lines a different.

PM the reg plate I want to check something out...just to make 100% certain

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

So its a December 2013, 1.4lt 122PS, 7speed DSG, 5 door in either an S or SE trim....which in the UK has Halogens from factory..

Now xenon's were not a factory option for the S trim.....the SE trim only had xenons without LED DRLs as an option....

Xenon's with LED DRLs were only an option on the GT trim (mine) & standard fit on the GTI/GTD/R

The R have double "U" LED DRLs...

Basically the wiring loom in your car wasn't made for the Xenons with the LED DRLs.....& it sounds like they haven't retro-fitted the required loom either..

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Here is just the wiring at the headlamp plugs...first is your car factory Halogens.....second is the Xenon's with LED DRLs..(may be the single & not the double U, but you get the idea)..

Halogen Left.jpg

Bixenons left with LED.jpg

Last edited:

Samb

Car(s)
Golf MK7
Here is just the wiring at the headlamp plugs...first is your car factory Halogens.....second is the Bi-Xenon's with LED DRLs..(may be the single & not the double U, but you get the idea)..

View attachment 247002

View attachment 247003
I'm not sure because such information would only be known by the prior owner. However, the OE headlights were almost certainly halogens, and the current headlights are not bi-Xenons.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm not sure because such information would only be known by the prior owner. However, the OE headlights were almost certainly halogens, and the current headlights are not bi-Xenons.

Edited..Xenon's with LED DRLs...."R" & GTI...can't tell if it has single or double "U" LED DRLs from the diagram...but its the same as on my car...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The current headlights are normal aftermarket 7.5 HID H7 headlights with an aftermarket LED high beams.

what???.....So MK7.5 units on a MK7 ?...that bodywork shut lines aren't 100% as the top rear corner is shaped differently

Aftermarket which make?..& what are they made for fitting to?..ie cars with halogens, MK7 or MK7.5?....as all are different combinations of wiring looms.

cb1111

The current headlights are normal aftermarket 7.5 HID H7 headlights with an aftermarket LED high beams.
Can we get a photo of the lights - including front and a clear picture of the side fitment? Also include (in your typed response) any markings on the headlamps themselves.

You may have done some significant damage to the wiring harness with those crap LED bulbs - one reason why those conversions are illegal (and won't pass MOT)