GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Still have the oil pan off, NAPA incorrectly told me that it was an RTV seal, so now I'm waiting on parts. I will get you a measurement when I get some oil in it.
1. Should the wastegate move when in the closed position? Video attached, if possible. Can't see a video but it sits open. It sits about where ever.
2. Will holding the actuator arm closed and setting voltage and running adaptation tell the actuator to hold the wastegate closed? If it hasn't been touched before it should already be set. If it isn't sitting in the 3.5v range at idle it is probably going bad.
3. Can I buy only the wastegate actuator if I don't need a new turbo? Yes.
4. Anyone in the Northern Virginia area that isn't a dealer who you'd recommend look at it? It's new to me, so I'm not sure what's been done to it, I replaced the clutch and someone put on a solid flywheel, ECS Tuning Clutch Bleeder, and it looks like aftermarket downtube also.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

TSIproblems

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI
1. Should the wastegate move when in the closed position? Video attached, if possible. Can't see a video but it sits open. It sits about where ever. Yes it does. I actually had my friend start it up with the downtube off to see what happened this afternoon, looked like it cycled the way it is supposed to when he hit the gas. Took a very poor video of that but I haven't figured out how to add those onto the forum yet.
2. Will holding the actuator arm closed and setting voltage and running adaptation tell the actuator to hold the wastegate closed? If it hasn't been touched before it should already be set. I've only had the car for a couple months. My Toyota mechanic said it looks like a brand new turbo, if that is worth anything. If it isn't sitting in the 3.5v range at idle it is probably going bad. I was able to get some measurements with it running this evening. IDE00396 - Charge air pressure actuator: acknowledgement = 2.915 V, IDE03934 Charge air pressure actuator: adaptation for lower stop = 3.511 V, IDE03935 Charge air pressure actuator: adaptation for upper stop = 0.511 v
3. Can I buy only the wastegate actuator if I don't need a new turbo? Yes. Good to know. Found a lot of information going both ways.
4. Anyone in the Northern Virginia area that isn't a dealer who you'd recommend look at it? It's new to me, so I'm not sure what's been done to it, I replaced the clutch and someone put on a solid flywheel, ECS Tuning Clutch Bleeder, and it looks like aftermarket downtube also.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
7spd DQ381 fluid changes- specifically on a 2018 S3, but don't think it would be any different from a 7spd DSG R. How much fluid does it realistically take to fill? The pre-assembled kit from FCP comes with 7L of fluid. However, the kit for the 6spd DQ250 comes with 6L of fluid, yet it takes under 5L to fill. Other retailers, some come with 6L, some come with 7L. Just want to ensure plenty of fluid on hand.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Pretty sure that panel is sitting in my living room with my weathertech drivers floor mat. Doing some BCM wiring so i've left it out. Could see if I can pull the PN for you guys.
Would appreciate that, thanks! I wonder if it's a different part for DSG vs. 6 speed, it looks from @Acadia18 like the clutch pedal would get in the way.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Would appreciate that, thanks! I wonder if it's a different part for DSG vs. 6 speed, it looks from @Acadia18 like the clutch pedal would get in the way.

What's a clutch pedal?

🤣🤣

That might be the case, because yeah, it looks like it would be in the way.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Anyone have a good option to replace this BFI insert I’ve destroyed in the last 10 months? Not trying to rattle my dentures out of my head either. Thanks

755E7058-8AE2-406F-A81C-334BD89A9E38.jpeg

31C84AE7-E9C5-498C-A63F-E97486BC34A7.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Powerflex Hybrid is nice if you don't mind removing the OEM bushing. I really only noticed additional NVH when in reverse.
Additional NVH over stock or over a BFI Stage 1? I'm half happy with my BFI Stage 1 and would consider the hybrid if it calmed reverse and first (DSG) down a bit. Stage 1 EQT ECU/TCU with BFI Stage 1 motor and transmission mounts.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Additional NVH over stock or over a BFI Stage 1? I'm half happy with my BFI Stage 1 and would consider the hybrid if it calmed reverse and first (DSG) down a bit. Stage 1 EQT ECU/TCU with BFI Stage 1 motor and transmission mounts.
Reverse for me is better with the puck, but I'm also manual. A/C is worse though

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Could just do a powerflex insert. They have a 55A, 70A (BFI stage 1 hardness, but the powerflex is longer and fills the upper voids too), 80A and 90A I think. Don't need to remove the lower bushing. NVH on the Diesel insert I used (Car is non-diesel) is low after about 400 miles. Reverse and cold stops before the engine warm up are the worst and not even that bad currently. AC isn't too bad, honestly the raised RPMs kinda smooths things out.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
What's the biggest tire one can fit on a 17x8 et45 at stock height?

Currently on 225/45/R17s, but wouldn't mind a little more sidewall or wider if possible.