GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thanks! Yea I recognized your handle from the YT channel.
So Uni didn’t ever turn out a tune for them, thought I had read something about it.
So water pump and injectors, basically same as ea888 😂

Wookie pipe and intake are on the short list, love the sound of the VR. I agree the TCU can use a tune, especially coming out of an EQT TCU trans.

Did you ever service/replace the injectors?
No on the injectors - happened once, cleared code, drive. Mine has the 6/72 B2B warranty and we are low mile drivers so not really concerned at 37K with 2 more years of warranty. The auto is v. eco-tuned and I drive it in sport mode almost always to get a little more hold on the shift points. It will do 0-60 in the 7s which really isn't bad for something so big. Nobody that I know of has a tune for it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
For example I know the 2.0t has water pump issues

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM (1).png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Also, familiarity with the motor is half the reason I've been gravitating towards GLIs, so I completely get that. I've heard "Dude that's so similar to the GTI, why not go for something different?" countless times.

Uhh, it being so similar is half the reason I'm considering it!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I’ve been spending some time digging into the threads on Vortex for the Atlas. Different community over there, and information is not as easily searched up. I did see a few names I recognized @tigeo @snobrdrdan
What are common issues with the Vr6/Atlas to look out for, or preventative maintenance.
For example I know the 2.0t has water pump issues, and timing cover leaks and cam bridge seals etc.
I heavily considered the 2.0t Atlas just because of my knowledge of the motor, but felt the v6 has more load/pulling capabilities and I really didn’t want to end up with a Stage 3 Turbo Atlas 😂 Although a JB4 could wake this 6cyl up some.
That's exactly why I would get the 2.0
And now it's available in 4motion sel premium (just not rline)

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I don’t mind gaining the new knowledge of the VR platform. Always liked the idea of a 3.6vr swap into a hatch with some boost.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I don’t mind gaining the new knowledge of the VR platform. Always liked the idea of a 3.6vr swap into a hatch with some boost.
You just need to drive both - many say the 2.0 is v. underwhelming on the big Atlas. The 3.6 is v. smooth.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I wouldn’t have sold my parts if I had any intent on getting into the 2.0t. It’s the gti motor in a 5k lb beast.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
You just need to drive both - many say the 2.0 is v. underwhelming on the big Atlas. The 3.6 is v. smooth.
But stage 1 with 390lbft should be pretty stout

tigeo

Autocross Champion

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
That’s all fine if you’re building the atlas for a street ride. Not sure the practicality of towing and backcountry usage.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG