GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Is the shifter cable alignment procedure on the mk7 the same as it was for the mk4? Hopefully doing delrin bushings on the cable ends in the near future, and I want to make sure I do it right.
when I did my cable alignment it was really just trial and error, added a couple threads here and there to get it right. At first it was stuck and wouldn't go into first, added some threads and it was good.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Why does VW insist on TTY and one time use hardware?

What a waste.
3018BA55-CC26-4DA9-A910-459F32039759.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
VW probably has controlling interest in companies that make the bolts.

cb1111

When we first got our Alltracks, both of us had issues with our phones working initially with Android Auto. The only we could get it to work is to connect our phones before we start the car and then it mostly worked. After about 20 or so connections, the system normally works as intended and one can usually plug in the phone after the car has been started. But we've found a few peculiarities.

If I drive my wife's car, my phone won't connect via BT the first time I start the car, but will connect nicely the 2nd time (and therafter.

My wife's phone won't connect to her the first time if I have been driving her car.

The above weirdness is also on my car when my wife drives it.

Also, on AA, the system will (after start) switch to Google Maps by itself and mute the radio. Pressing the Radio button turns the volume back up to the earlier level and then manually switching to Maps leaves the radio on. I'm not sure if this a AA issue or a VW issue.

Both cars are identical with the exception of the exterior color (2019 Alltrack SEL) and the phones are the same (LG V20 on T-Mo)

RisingFallens

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI!
I’m looking for a decent ceramic coating to put on my wheels and calipers after they get refinished this week. Any recommendations? I don’t know if it’s any different then the ones for exterior paint, given the heat

do you find that the ceramic coating makes it hard for wheel weights to stay on?

Last edited:

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I don’t know if it’s any different then the ones for exterior paint, given the heat
Sorry, no recommendation, but It is.
do you find that the ceramic coating makes it hard for wheel weights to stay on?
Not the one I used (Avalon King). My wheels are definitely still coated and the new weights stuck on fine.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I’m looking for a decent ceramic coating to put on my wheels and calipers after they get refinished this week. Any recommendations? I don’t know if it’s any different then the ones for exterior paint, given the heat

Check my build thread….I used geon but can’t remember the exact type. Has held up good so far

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Total n00b question. How do I get android auto to work? I plug my phone in to the little thing and get nothing. Does the cable type matter?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Total n00b question. How do I get android auto to work? I plug my phone in to the little thing and get nothing. Does the cable type matter?
yes it needs to be a data cable. you need to have the android auto app installed on your phone too