GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I wouldn't call 45 deg warm, but I live in Florida, so what do I know?

I will second tire release compound making all new tires greasy and needing to be burned off, though.

I have you tried stock tune for winter driving? All that power is useless with fwd in the snow.
We call that weather 'early summer'.

My new Michelin winter boots took 500Km or so before they stopped feeling greasy.

I'm waiting 'till spring to tune my car, because why do that right when my country starts LARPing as Hoth for 5 months?

Dents27

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Autobahn GTI
We call that weather 'early summer'.

My new Michelin winter boots took 500Km or so before they stopped feeling greasy.

I'm waiting 'till spring to tune my car, because why do that right when my country starts LARPing as Hoth for 5 months?

Yup and the Toronto area drivers always forget how to drive when we get 0.5cm of snow. Yay for 5 months of dummies on the road.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
PA doesn't get enough snow for me. My five year plan is to be somewhere where it snows more. I want my winter to go from October to April.
You should go get that checked out! Sounds like an old undiagnosed head injury. J/K.

My plan is to move someplace where the rivers never freeze and the people have only seen snow on TV, where I can live on a sailboat and ride motorcycles year round.

The fact that people inhabit areas where it's possible to freeze to death while starving in the dark is proof humans are stupid.

ETA: Go FAR north. Having natural light from 4:30AM to near midnight is pretty neat... in the summer. I lived about an 8 hour drive North of here for 14 years. That's only about half way from here to the Arctic Circle.

Last edited:

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
You should go get that checked out! Sounds like an old undiagnosed head injury. J/K.

My plan is to move someplace where the rivers never freeze and the people have only seen snow on TV, where I can live on a sailboat and ride motorcycles year round.

The fact that people inhabit areas where it's possible to freeze to death while starving in the dark is proof humans are stupid.

ETA: Go FAR north. Having natural light from 4:30AM to near midnight is pretty neat... in the summer. I lived about an 8 hour drive North of here for 14 years. That's only about half way from here to the Arctic Circle.
I've been snowboarding since I could walk. My partner has been skiing since she could as well. My whole family is into winter sports. I'd love to be able to start snowboarding in October/November instead of around here where I have to wait until late December or early January and maybe get two months in.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I've been snowboarding since I could walk. My partner has been skiing since she could as well. My whole family is into winter sports. I'd love to be able to start snowboarding in October/November instead of around here where I have to wait until late December or early January and maybe get two months in.
Me too, except snowboarding hadn't been invented until I was about 10, so it was 2 planks before that. I believe I've ridden every mountain with a lift in Western Canada, and a few without. I even worked a couple seasons at a ski hill.

Winter is garbage, despite our ability to carve a silver lining out of it.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Does anybody know the TSB # for the fuel line rattle? I fixed mine with pipe insulation and zip ties, but want the dealer to do the complete repair when I go in for service.

There are SO, SO many threads...

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I haven't visited Texas yet, but the average January low temps aren't near enough to kill a Canadian LOL. That's fall camping weather.
Haha, I'm sure. I was referring to last year's cold spell that crashed their grid. Apparently nowhere is safe!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I can tell you how not to drive through Texas. I was driving from Arizona to Ohio and planned on driving to Florida then up to Ohio. When I got to Texas at El Paso I changed my mind and started angling across Texas and exited Texas at Texarkana, Texas. It was 1300 miles in just Texas.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I can tell you how not to drive through Texas. I was driving from Arizona to Ohio and planned on driving to Florida then up to Ohio. When I got to Texas at El Paso I changed my mind and started angling across Texas and exited Texas at Texarkana, Texas. It was 1300 miles in just Texas.
Texas never ceases to amaze in just how massive it is. I've done the Chicago to San Antonio drive and about 9 hours of it was just in Texas.

And to keep the earlier conversation going, I'd rather live somewhere where it snows sometimes and nothing is venomous rather then sharing my property with scorpions, rattlesnakes, and brown recluse spiders. Snow doesn't sit around waiting to surprise you.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Shit like that just blows my mind. RI is smaller than 50mi x 40mi. So to have a state that's like 800 miles across is wild.