GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I'll be completely honest, this is the first time ever in my life that I've had dedicated snow/winter tires (studless), and I'm sliding around all over the place. I'm guessing they're just not good on dry roads. I figured it was time to put them on because it was snowing and freezing and not going above 40ish most days. I guess I'll just have to adjust my driving style. I spun in fourth trying to pass a truck on the highway..

BRAND spanking new tires will be greasy for the first few hundred KMs. (This is invigorating if you forget... when you put new tires on your motorcycle.)

Otherwise, winter boots will have slightly better traction on dry asphalt below freezing, and somewhat worse on warm asphalt. As mentioned above, pressure comes into play of course. I actually run mine a little soft when winter hits for real.

There's literally no contest on snow/ice. Modern winter tires are amazing compared to what was available 30+ years ago.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
What is it about direct injected cars belching out a bunch of brown smoke when the driver puts the go pedal to the floor? I notice it all the time with cars in front of me, and saw the same in my rear view when I gapped some tailgating sister f*cker on the freeway earlier today.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What is it about direct injected cars belching out a bunch of brown smoke when the driver puts the go pedal to the floor? I notice it all the time with cars in front of me, and saw the same in my rear view when I gapped some tailgating sister f*cker on the freeway earlier today.
Haven't ever noticed that. Or seen brown smoke at all. Only white or bluish or black.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
bad pcvs. they are maintenance items and need replaced once in awhile.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
bad pcvs. they are maintenance items and need replaced once in awhile.
Haven't ever noticed that. Or seen brown smoke at all. Only white or bluish or black.
Probably not my PCV. Car's only 7 months old. However, my windows are tinted, so honestly I can't say the smoke was brown. The cars I notice this from are usually fairly recent models, but maybe.

Usually white=coolant, blue=oil, black=diesel, or demons.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Which tires?
Size?
What size wheels?
Pressure?
How many miles on them?
Suspension mods?

If they're brand spanking new the mold release needs to wear off, so drive it hard for a bit. Pressure depends on the answers but if you have soft sidewall snows, you can make up for a bit of the slop by running 2-3psi higher than your summers. It's a balance between handling and ride quality.
- Continental Viking Contact
- 225/45/18
- 18x7.5 OEM alloys
- 37 psi
- 100 miles on them, they're brand new
- air ride

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
- Continental Viking Contact
- 225/45/18
- 18x7.5 OEM alloys
- 37 psi
- 100 miles on them, they're brand new
- air ride

Those appear to be pretty good winter tires. I'd re-evaluate after 500 miles. No winter tire is going to be that good in warmer weather on dry pavement, at least compared to summers. If you're tuned, that makes it worse. Scuff them up a bit and check back.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Do I need to worry about monitoring LTFT if I run e20-e30 on a 91 octane tune?

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Those appear to be pretty good winter tires. I'd re-evaluate after 500 miles. No winter tire is going to be that good in warmer weather on dry pavement, at least compared to summers. If you're tuned, that makes it worse. Scuff them up a bit and check back.
The tune doesn't help. If I floor it in any gear except sixth, I spin.

Dajones89

Car(s)
MK7.5 GTE
New forum member here. I recently purchased the last regular new 2021 Golf left in California. There was only one well equipped trim level for 2021 but it looks like VW decided to delete the rear console vent from the specs as a cost savings. The kidlets immediately complained of a lack of AC in the backseat so I have started to investigate how to retrofit the console ductwork. I forum search didn't turn up much information but maybe I didn't try the right search terms. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. A link to the appropriate VW parts diagram might be a good start.

BTW Ace92028, California requires a smog every 2 years from first registration except at the first 2 year mark for a new car. Assuming your GTI was purchased in purchased in September 2021 the next smog will be due in September 2023. It is your car & you can do what you want to but if it were me I'd stick with only CARB compliant mods. I will save you a lot of hassles later on.
If you didnt get anywhere with this then give me a PM ive got some diagrams.

in a nutshell theres 3 outputs on the bottom of the heater unit, the middle will have a plug in the place of the rear ducts, ive just retrofitted an armrest and going through this now. On about £60, got all parts and that includes the full armrest front to back console.

CamarosRus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf SE
Asking for advice on where to buy Best Value/Best Quality replacement 2019 Golf Right Door Assy WITH Blind Spot,
Heat

Need complete with GLASS/MIrror or Part # or Vendor

Cant wait for Overseas delivery

Chuck 253-263-Five One Nine Zero

Last edited:

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Would you spend $2k for the ST40s w/ 355mm rotor? Or $1k for ST41s w/ 328mm rotor? Current set up non PP brakes, spirited DD