GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
Am I the only one that likes the look of the rear wiper? Even on a coupe like the RSX I always thought it looked cool lol
I don't think you're crazy. I appreciate it in a form-follows-function sort of way - one of the things I've always liked about hatchbacks. I've even wished I had a rear wiper on some sedans I owned (especially before the backup camera era).

But I'm sure that has a lot to do with where I've lived - around Cleveland, for example, I think more of the year is "wipers weather" than not. And I do wish the interval on the rear wiper could be adjusted longer. Even the maximum setting through OBDeleven is too short for most situations, in my opinion.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don't think you're crazy. I appreciate it in a form-follows-function sort of way - one of the things I've always liked about hatchbacks. I've even wished I had a rear wiper on some sedans I owned (especially before the backup camera era).

But I'm sure that has a lot to do with where I've lived - around Cleveland, for example, I think more of the year is "wipers weather" than not. And I do wish the interval on the rear wiper could be adjusted longer. Even the maximum setting through OBDeleven is too short for most situations, in my opinion.

I didn't even know that was in OBD11. Thanks.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Am I the only one that likes the look of the rear wiper? Even on a coupe like the RSX I always thought it looked cool lol

I like having a rear wiper.
I like the look, it's functional and I absolutely need it here in VA. Honestly, I don't think it detracts from the look whatsoever.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It looks okay without it.

It's more symmetric if that kind of thing bothers you. If you're on the highway when it's raining you're fibbing if you're claiming you don't need it tho.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
40k service….VW replaced plugs with OEM plugs, but did gap them to .024 for me…..keep them in or swap to my ruths at home?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
40k service….VW replaced plugs with OEM plugs, but did gap them to .024 for me…..keep them in or swap to my ruths at home?
I would keep them and then put the Ruthenium in next time you're due to change. Nothing wrong with the OEM plug.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Yes, I always just end up tapping it every once on a while, it is way too frequent.
I didn't even know that was in OBD11. Thanks.
I also had no idea and now need to go mess with it.

By far the most useful feature is the automatic single swipe when you have your front wipers on and place the car in reverse. Genius.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
The other day I noticed something weird, and it's not the only time: I backed into a spot at a gas pump, and when I got out the rear camera was still in the 'up' position, in spite of the car being parked and ignition off. It didn't fold back in until I started the car and drove away.

The other time I noticed it I had backed into a parking spot, got out and went to open the hatch... same story. I had to cycle the ignition to make it fold in, so I could open my rear hatch.

WTF?

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
The other day I noticed something weird, and it's not the only time: I backed into a spot at a gas pump, and when I got out the rear camera was still in the 'up' position, in spite of the car being parked and ignition off. It didn't fold back in until I started the car and drove away.

The other time I noticed it I had backed into a parking spot, got out and went to open the hatch... same story. I had to cycle the ignition to make it fold in, so I could open my rear hatch.

WTF?
You likely did some combination of actions that caused the camera to stay open in a "service mode" setting, assuming one exists. You can do the same thing with the windshield wipers.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
What would you use if you wanted to change the colour of your springs?

I'm set on the H&R OE Sport springs, but that blurple colour is going to totally harsh my marshmellow... they need to be red on this car.

Couple coats with a rattle can, or something else?

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
You likely did some combination of actions that caused the camera to stay open in a "service mode" setting, assuming one exists. You can do the same thing with the windshield wipers.

I'm going to try recreating it on purpose today; I think it happens if you reverse, park, shut off the ignition and open the door quickly.