GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The outside face of the rotor looks fine. But need also to check the inside face which is more difficult. And there is a dust shield on the inside. A rock chip lodged there is still a possibility.
Bern
I checked between the shield and brake from above and below. Although I did not check the rear of the rotor

Black&WhiteGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 GTI '92 Miata
Okay so I need a solution...

Every morning when I park, it is dark out. I back into my parking spot so I have a fighting chance to get out of the parking lot in decent time. I also like to have my parking lights on so I can see what I am doing and what buttons I am pushing, otherwise I am in my complete cave of a car for about an hour. The issue is when the car across from me backs in they always flash their high beams back at me because my parking lights are extremely bright. Is there some way to add a dimmer for the front parking lights?

I have OBDEleven so I was looking at adding some type of menu that lets me control my ambient lighting with no avail. What could I do to have the interior somewhat dimly lit? I also looked into adding a dim overhead LED that shines down from the center console but I think it would be way too involved for what it is. I just really want to have a way to turn on the interior lighting but nobody seems to be talking about it... I'm sure I am not the only person with this issue, right?

An example of what I imagine what will work, but have no clue if it would even be compatible with my car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Okay so I need a solution...

Every morning when I park, it is dark out. I back into my parking spot so I have a fighting chance to get out of the parking lot in decent time. I also like to have my parking lights on so I can see what I am doing and what buttons I am pushing, otherwise I am in my complete cave of a car for about an hour. The issue is when the car across from me backs in they always flash their high beams back at me because my parking lights are extremely bright. Is there some way to add a dimmer for the front parking lights?

I have OBDEleven so I was looking at adding some type of menu that lets me control my ambient lighting with no avail. What could I do to have the interior somewhat dimly lit? I also looked into adding a dim overhead LED that shines down from the center console but I think it would be way too involved for what it is. I just really want to have a way to turn on the interior lighting but nobody seems to be talking about it... I'm sure I am not the only person with this issue, right?

An example of what I imagine what will work, but have no clue if it would even be compatible with my car.
Sounds like they need to be aimed.

Black&WhiteGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 GTI '92 Miata
Sounds like they need to be aimed.
Well it is just the general glow of them. They just glow extremely bright. My parking lights illuminate the whole front end of the white F150 that parks in front of me (it has a small lift kit on it, too). I compared my car to my friend's Tesla Model 3 today. His parking lights were not bright enough to light up the car in front of him... also I noticed that the mk6 gti (without the Lighting Package) had its DRLs on and it was dimmer than the Tesla.

Is it possible to just adjust the brightness of the front parking lights without it changing the brightness of the DRL in any other mode?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well it is just the general glow of them. They just glow extremely bright. My parking lights illuminate the whole front end of the white F150 that parks in front of me (it has a small lift kit on it, too). I compared my car to my friend's Tesla Model 3 today. His parking lights were not bright enough to light up the car in front of him... also I noticed that the mk6 gti (without the Lighting Package) had its DRLs on and it was dimmer than the Tesla.

Is it possible to just adjust the brightness of the front parking lights without it changing the brightness of the DRL in any other mode?
I don't know if they can be adjusted like that. I'm surprised a 16 has that bright of parking lights.

Fdotorres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Did a suspension change yesterday and now the tramlining is absolutely unbearable.

Went from:
OEM shocks
EMD springs

To:
Bilstein B6
OEM springs
Replaced most suspension components (joints, links, mounts, etc)
Added EMD "flush kit" spacers.

Would a wheel alignment solve this issue? I've changed to Bilstein B4 in the past and this wasn't an issue.

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Did a suspension change yesterday and now the tramlining is absolutely unbearable.

Went from:
OEM shocks
EMD springs

To:
Bilstein B6
OEM springs
Replaced most suspension components (joints, links, mounts, etc)
Added EMD "flush kit" spacers.

Would a wheel alignment solve this issue? I've changed to Bilstein B4 in the past and this wasn't an issue.

I would definitely get an alignment if you've made significant changes to the suspension, I get one anytime I have the suspension apart but if you've changed bushings/links/etc from your existing worn ones, that could make a massive change in geometry.

I don't know if that's going to be the direct answer to tramlining though, it may also simply be due to reduced compliance in worn parts. Either way, an alignment will help greatly with tire wear and overall drivability.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Gonna buy some new spark plugs.

NGK RS7 or stick to OEM?

.024 gap

Tuner recommends RS7 and says OEM is fine. Kinda on the fence on going RS7 but heard stories about them.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Gonna buy some new spark plugs.

NGK RS7 or stick to OEM?

.024 gap

Tuner recommends RS7 and says OEM is fine. Kinda on
Either one is fine at that gap. Or even the Ruthenium plugs which are equivalent to stock but only cost $8-10 per plug are getting popular. I'm running them currently.

vw_s

Ready to race!
Car(s)
vw
I have a 2016 GTI with the plastic valve stems so no kind of TPMS system other than what comes on the anti-lock brakes. I'm losing air in all four of my tires, about 1-2lb a week. These tires are new, I had the full valve/stem job done during install. I also had the same issue with my last set of tires. Where could this leak be coming from? I do have aftermarket Stoptech rotors and pads, but the rest of the hardware is stock small kit. Also I have the standard adaptations from OBDeleven applied for traction control. I believe these are "Starting Vibration Reduction", I suppose this is worth mentioning because it uses the brakes in some cases to limit torque response? Not positive there. The wheels are a little dinged up from a curb kiss or two from the original owner, but nothing serious.

Does anything immediately come to mind? How would you guys go about troubleshooting this? Is it possible for the ABS system to cause a leak?

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
No. There is no connection between the ABS system and the air in your tires. Your era GTI uses the ABS system to detect rotational speed variations as it's TPMS system. No connection there, either. Since you had all four valve stems changed, I'd look there first. Go back to your tire installer and have them leak check all four wheels.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
The fact that your last set of tires had the same issue implies it could be an issue with the wheels, but it is strange that it's all 4. Did the same shop do both sets of tires?

If you rule out install error, start checking the wheels for hairline cracks at both the seating edges and the barrel. Are they OEM wheels?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have a 2016 GTI with the plastic valve stems so no kind of TPMS system other than what comes on the anti-lock brakes. I'm losing air in all four of my tires, about 1-2lb a week. These tires are new, I had the full valve/stem job done during install. I also had the same issue with my last set of tires. Where could this leak be coming from? I do have aftermarket Stoptech rotors and pads, but the rest of the hardware is stock small kit. Also I have the standard adaptations from OBDeleven applied for traction control. I believe these are "Starting Vibration Reduction", I suppose this is worth mentioning because it uses the brakes in some cases to limit torque response? Not positive there. The wheels are a little dinged up from a curb kiss or two from the original owner, but nothing serious.

Does anything immediately come to mind? How would you guys go about troubleshooting this? Is it possible for the ABS system to cause a leak?
Getting a lot of variation with the cold mornings and warming during the day. At 80* in Phoenix my tires will show 37 lbs and by morning when it's 45* they will register 33* and rise with the temperature. I converted mine to TPMS.