GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
you can with no real loss...crack it open and you'll hear the oil in the filter draining down into sump. fwiw I would suggest doing both rather than trying to save $25 and 1/2 hr.

LMFAO $25... If I could get the oil for anywhere close to that, I would. It's $16/L here. Scheduled maintenance is included on mine, but the interval is pretty long at 15K Km. I thought I'd swap filters halfway. I don't intend to keep the car beyond about 100K Km.

RuffledJersey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 S DSG
How would it be to go through every day thinking everyone is out to screw you over.

To each their own.
Total misreading - never said, nor do I believe, that everyone is out to screw you over. Quite the opposite.

Most people are reasonable and, even if they don’t always succeed, try to do the right (or at least avoid the wrong) thing.

But there’s always a couple of loose cannons lurking about in the shadows so why give them an opening?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
There's been a grinding/squealing noise from my front passenger wheel area when turning the steering wheel to the right.

The noise sounds like it's the brakes but it doesn't happen during braking, in fact I've noticed the noise doesn't appear to happen at all when turning and braking at the same time.

Any ideas?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Wheel bearing?
Possibly.. some of the things I'm reading sound like the issue I'm having but other things don't... for example I only notice it at low speeds such as when I'm driving through my neighborhood.

and the videos I've seen don't sound like what my car is doing

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Yeah I guess a bearing really doesn't have a squealing sound, more along a deeper grinding noise.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Maybe a rock stuck in the brake assy. somewhere. Wheel bearings usually roar or rumble.
That was my first thought and i should've mentioned I've taken the wheel off twice and looked around but didn't see anything.

It seems to be a grinding sound that i can only hear sometimes when driving near a wall and then when turning the wheel it makes a squeak squeak sound

Last edited:

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
That was my first thought and i should've mentioned I've taken the wheel off twice and looked around but didn't see anything.

It seems to be a grinding sound that i can only hear sometimes when driving near a wall and then when turning the wheel it makes a squeak squeak sound
Any scoring on the rotor? If it's debris stuck on the pad or at the edge of the caliper, taking the wheel off won't help, but you might see it scratching lines in the rotor face. I have had that happen to me before. Usually going in reverse pops it right out, but I suppose it could be really in there. Did you ever check the CV boot?

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I've not had the wheels off mine to look, but.. do these have a metal dust shield on the inside?

I've had a stone get hung up between the rotor and dust shield MANY times on other vehicles. You wouldn't see it unless you took the caliper off to take the rotor off...

I got good at getting them out by tapping on the edge of the shield with a wooden drift and mallet, gently-ish.

ETA: Oh yeah, it's not the wear indicators on the pads, right? (Do these pads have wear indicators?)

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Any scoring on the rotor? If it's debris stuck on the pad or at the edge of the caliper, taking the wheel off won't help, but you might see it scratching lines in the rotor face. I have had that happen to me before. Usually going in reverse pops it right out, but I suppose it could be really in there. Did you ever check the CV boot?

I've not had the wheels off mine to look, but.. do these have a metal dust shield on the inside?

I've had a stone get hung up between the rotor and dust shield MANY times on other vehicles. You wouldn't see it unless you took the caliper off to take the rotor off...

I got good at getting them out by tapping on the edge of the shield with a wooden drift and mallet, gently-ish.

ETA: Oh yeah, it's not the wear indicators on the pads, right? (Do these pads have wear indicators?)
Checked the boot and it appeared to be fine, no rips or anything else that looked out of the ordinary.

I used to do a lot of canyon driving and the car is a little over 30k miles so I figured it's possible it could be the pads/rotors. The rotor looks like it has some minor scoring, feels completely smooth to the touch, but if the brakes are the culprit wouldn't I notice it more-so during braking? It's quiet under braking, still bites strong, and I don't feel any vibrations in the pedal

Black&WhiteGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 GTI '92 Miata
My sister had a similar sound coming from her Mazda, I immediately figured that it was the parking brake sticking slightly. It was making a dragging type of noise under certain circumstances. Even though it seems that my parking brake is way different from hers (my handle is way stiffer), it might be good to still check. My second theory was a wheel bearing going out on her car. FWIW I don't really know what it sounds like when a wheel bearing is going out lol.

If you think it is brake related- check the wheels for brake dust build up. What I mean by that- if one wheel obviously has way more brake dust buildup (especially inside the barrel of the wheel), I think you found your culprit.

Another way to check to see if your brakes are acting up, is to drive around a little, make sure to take it easy on the brakes. What I did was felt the differences in temperature of the two rear rotors with my hand, I'm not recommending that you use your hand for the possibility of the rotors burning you (obv). If the one of the sides of the brake is sticking then one side should be hotter than the other (or even the front rotors). It may have been a very specific case of one side sticking, but I ended up figuring it out.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
The outside face of the rotor looks fine. But need also to check the inside face which is more difficult. And there is a dust shield on the inside. A rock chip lodged there is still a possibility.
Bern