GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

Thanks for the replies,
I linked the TSB - it is a pdf download.

TSB Number:V601605_2043788 Date: May 18, 2016

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/114621/V601605
Aside from being ancient, the TSB says "1) Vehicle may be outside any Warranty in which case this Technical Bulletin is informational only "

That said - is your car within that VIN range? If so, then you could write a letter (on paper, with a stamp and return receipt requested) to VW to the address in the back of your owners manual saying the follwing:

I have a VW .....
My sunroof blind is stuck
There is a TSB covering my VIN
The problem is caused by faulty parts and production was changed to use different parts
I understand that my car is no longer under under warranty
Due to the fact that this identified problem was caused by faulty parts, I request that the parts be replaced as a goodwill repair

No, "woe, is me, I'll go blind if this isn't fixed..." Just the facts.

Three choices:

They tell you to go away
They fix it on their dime
They split the repair with you - the most common possibility

Why a letter that is return receipt?

Somebody has to sign for it, fill out the green card, slice open the envelope and put it on somebody's desk where it festers like an open sore until it is answered. An email drops off the screen in a few minutes.

cb1111

Why? They must have appraised the car prior to the trade in. But for an example If he bought a VW and it was tuned and the dealer didn't know or say the customer will be the one who gets screwed. There is a thread recently for that.
Do you want some random person to have your personal information? If the mods break something, they'll not only have a claim against the dealer but will at least think about harassing you.. Can they find you anyway? Of course, but that may be lots of work and not worth it, but a message in the glove box just makes it so much easier.

If I buy a car from a dealer and I have an issue, I complain to the dealer and don't even think about going after the prior owner - unless there is a letter in the glove box that says "come after me"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Do you want some random person to have your personal information? If the mods break something, they'll not only have a claim against the dealer but will at least think about harassing you.. Can they find you anyway? Of course, but that may be lots of work and not worth it, but a message in the glove box just makes it so much easier.

If I buy a car from a dealer and I have an issue, I complain to the dealer and don't even think about going after the prior owner - unless there is a letter in the glove box that says "come after me"
It wouldn't bother me that the buyer contacts me about the car. Neither the dealer or buyer has any recourse against me. I would want to be helpful to the buyer. An example is when I traded in the Veloster Turbo a guy who knew me also knew the buyer. After a couple months the guy I knew called me about why the Veloster MPG would suddenly go down drastically. It turned out the buyer didn't know he had to empty the OCC and it was full. Just stuff like that to be helpful to the buyer.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32

It’s just an email address.

if the car is sold/purchased from a dealership then the previous owner is in no way liable if something goes wrong.

it’s a nice gesture to be willing to communicate the mods that were done to the new owner. The dealer won’t be able or willing to help with what kind of tune or fueling is required, only the previous owner will know any of that.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

in my case the dealer knew what they were getting.

I don’t see it as a bad, bad idea, and would do it again if I traded in this car.

Its just simply an email, and info, not that big of a deal.

Alfaguy

Ready to race!
With my 2015 MK7 getting old I was wondering how to replace the door mechanism. I’ve seen videos on the replacement for a mk6 which involves removing the door skin is that still how to access it? I don’t see the access to the screws in the MK7.

RuffledJersey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 S DSG
It’s just an email address.

if the car is sold/purchased from a dealership then the previous owner is in no way liable if something goes wrong.

it’s a nice gesture to be willing to communicate the mods that were done to the new owner. The dealer won’t be able or willing to help with what kind of tune or fueling is required, only the previous owner will know any of that.
The issue is you never know who’s going to buy the car down the road.

While the previous owner has no liability, nothing will prevent the new owner from making trouble if they’re so inclined. (And while it may be just an email, anyone determined enough has a decent chance of tracking someone down from it.)

Never underestimate the capacity of a random American to be an a-hole given the opportunity.

cb1111

The issue is you never know who’s going to buy the car down the road.

While the previous owner has no liability, nothing will prevent the new owner from making trouble if they’re so inclined. (And while it may be just an email, anyone determined enough has a decent chance of tracking someone down from it.)

Never underestimate the capacity of a random American to be an a-hole given the opportunity.
My point exactly and it gets you nothing - except the possibilty of problems.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My buddy bought a used tacoma and somehow got the previous owners number. I think the dealership didn't clean it out well enough so he found it in the truck. He gave the guy a call just to find out what he's done to it and maybe have a friendly chat about the truck. The dude was so pissed he called. Didn't give him any of his time and immediately said do not call this number again.

cb1111

Years ago (2001ish), I whacked a deer with my A6 wagon. Got it fixed and traded it in for a S6 a few weeks later. The dealership was in Maine (I was in MD) so we did the deal over email and phone and I drove up and swapped cars. I disclosed and signed the form that said that there was accident damage. Although the car looked good, the body shop didn't do a good job (one reason for me selling it).

I gave the dealer a stack of maintenance records and the info on the repair. They said that it wouldn't go to the new owner. A couple of months later, I get this angry call from the new owner about why I had not disclosed the accident damage. Luckily I still had a copy of the forms that I signed at the dealership. That took the wind out of his sails and he said he found a stack of maintenance records in the owner's manual. I think he sued the dealership, but I learned an important lesson - sanitize the car before you sell it and never give the dealer more than you have to.

Dealers are lazy. One of the Alltracks I bought early this year was a VW executive car. When I got it, the phonebook was packed with the names and home numbers of a slew of VW executives. I deleted them.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Does the oil filter and housing completely drain when the car sits? In other words, is it trivial to spin off the housing and replace the filter more often than replacing the oil?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
you can with no real loss...crack it open and you'll hear the oil in the filter draining down into sump. fwiw I would suggest doing both rather than trying to save $25 and 1/2 hr.