GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

sheldon902

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
Maybe this is in the wrong thread but, it also may fall under the title of a stupid question...

i bought a used 2017 GTI and apparent;y it was tuned with Unitronic Stage 1. I don't think the TCU was tuned so, my question is, would it be fine to tune the TCU now and should i go with the Unitronic one or use another brand?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Maybe this is in the wrong thread but, it also may fall under the title of a stupid question...

i bought a used 2017 GTI and apparent;y it was tuned with Unitronic Stage 1. I don't think the TCU was tuned so, my question is, would it be fine to tune the TCU now and should i go with the Unitronic one or use another brand?
Does your gear readout in the top right corner of the MFD display the gear next to the letter D/S? So D1, D2, D3; S4, S5, etc? If so your TCU is tuned.

Unitronic’s TCU tune for the 2015-2017 6-speed DQ250 equipped GTIs is likely the worst on the market, abhorrent garbage that isn’t worth the money. I got my 2015 GTI Uni ECU/TCU tuned and the difference after the TCU tune was so negligible I thought the flash went bad. Flashed back to stock, then re-flashed again. Still no noticeable change. It’s basically snake oil.

the other alternative is it truly wasn’t tuned. If you don’t have the gears present next to D/S in the top right of the MFD then they never tuned the TCU.

either way, go get new tunes. Uni’s suck for the MK7. I hear they’re greatly improved for the 7.5 though

sheldon902

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
Does your gear readout in the top right corner of the MFD display the gear next to the letter D/S? So D1, D2, D3; S4, S5, etc? If so your TCU is tuned.

Unitronic’s TCU tune for the 2015-2017 6-speed DQ250 equipped GTIs is likely the worst on the market, abhorrent garbage that isn’t worth the money. I got my 2015 GTI Uni ECU/TCU tuned and the difference after the TCU tune was so negligible I thought the flash went bad. Flashed back to stock, then re-flashed again. Still no noticeable change. It’s basically snake oil.

the other alternative is it truly wasn’t tuned. If you don’t have the gears present next to D/S in the top right of the MFD then they never tuned the TCU.

either way, go get new tunes. Uni’s suck for the MK7. I hear they’re greatly improved for the 7.5 though
Thanks for the reply. In D or S mode there are no gear numbers. As for the ECU tune, it feels ok but, I'd definitely be open to trying something else. I've been considering APR, UM and IE. However, the closest shop near me is a 4 hour drive each way. so, theres that too heh

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Then go EQT. Your car isn’t under warranty for much longer anyway.

Boost Weather sale should be happening soon, EQT’s Stage 1 OTS tunes are free with the purchase of a Cobb Accessport through EQT’s online shop.

they make the best OTS tunes at this point, pretty much every single user has exclusively positive reviews. And you get to flash at home.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Sry vwolks for totally OT question but since most of you live much closer to the source, perhaps you could help me. I’m looking for specific Mexican product, some variety of tequila with gold particles in it. It is called Hacienda de Chihuahua oro puro. If someone is also a fan of booze (besides cars of course), can you please search some webpages of suppliers as I’m not familiar with such pages. Thx!
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/hacienda+de+oro+puro+sotol+anejo+chihuahua+mexico

looks like you can buy it and get it shipped. at least to where i live

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/hacienda+de+oro+puro+sotol+anejo+chihuahua+mexico

looks like you can buy it and get it shipped. at least to where i live
Sry vwolks for totally OT question but since most of you live much closer to the source, perhaps you could help me. I’m looking for specific Mexican product, some variety of tequila with gold particles in it. It is called Hacienda de Chihuahua oro puro. If someone is also a fan of booze (besides cars of course), can you please search some webpages of suppliers as I’m not familiar with such pages. Thx!

good taste... best tequila I’ve ever had.

and thanks for finding it nick! I’ve been talking about this stuff since I had it in Colorado in 2015. I’m buying some :)

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I got a low coolant level warning yesterday. Checked the reservoir and sure enough it was under the minimum level. I stopped by VW got some concentrate and mixed it so I could top off what I lost. My GTI is a 2018 with 43k miles.

I'm going to call VW tomorrow but it sounds to me like I should have them at least check the water pump, especially since I've still got a warranty.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I got a low coolant level warning yesterday. Checked the reservoir and sure enough it was under the minimum level. I stopped by VW got some concentrate and mixed it so I could top off what I lost. My GTI is a 2018 with 43k miles.

I'm going to call VW tomorrow but it sounds to me like I should have them at least check the water pump, especially since I've still got a warranty.
Have them visually check the thermostat housing for signs of leaking. FYI a leaking thermostat housing will pass a pressure test.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Dumb question (that's what we're here for, right?) -- With the stage 1 91-92 EQT tune, can I continue to run the stock plugs? I'm thinking of buying during the boost season sale, and simply running the factory clutch until it starts to slip, as I'm pretty gentle with the car in 99% of cases, which I think should help longevity until I'm ready to pull the trigger on a clutch. Ideally, I'd like to stick with factory plugs as long as I can, since there seem to be a number of reports of issues with various upgraded plugs.

Anything else I should be thinking about/considering? The car is a 2019 with 24k on it, I'm not really planning to do any major upgrades for quite a while. Also, what options do y'all recommend? I'm not really interested in burbles or flat-foot shifting, but how's the Cobb traction control? I see that it's adjustable, how does that work?

Thanks everyone!

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
With the stage 1 91-92 EQT tune, can I continue to run the stock plugs?

The factory plugs are fine.

Some higher stage tunes recommend a 'one step colder' plug with different gapping, but even then it is just a recommendation and not a requirement.

simply running the factory clutch until it starts to slip, as I'm pretty gentle with the car in 99% of cases, which I think should help longevity until I'm ready to pull the trigger on a clutch.

Im 85k on a mk6 gti with stage 2 tune with the stock clutch. It is all about how you drive.

CiDirkona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK3 TT, MK1 Atlas SE
Not really a stupid question, but I bought the "MAGIK" Chinese ebay turbo inlet pipe and turbo muffler delete, and neither of them fit. I now have to mail them back to China to get a refund.

I might have been able to get the turbo inlet pipe to work if i rounded out either of the two bracket holes on the driver side so that the hold-down arm could migrate a bit upwards, but didn't seem like the kind of thing I wanted to do in the middle of an IS38 upgrade.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224324283144

Attachments

• 20210925_183201.jpg
    20210925_183201.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • 20210925_181821.jpg
    20210925_181821.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Dumb question (that's what we're here for, right?) -- With the stage 1 91-92 EQT tune, can I continue to run the stock plugs? I'm thinking of buying during the boost season sale, and simply running the factory clutch until it starts to slip, as I'm pretty gentle with the car in 99% of cases, which I think should help longevity until I'm ready to pull the trigger on a clutch. Ideally, I'd like to stick with factory plugs as long as I can, since there seem to be a number of reports of issues with various upgraded plugs.

Anything else I should be thinking about/considering? The car is a 2019 with 24k on it, I'm not really planning to do any major upgrades for quite a while. Also, what options do y'all recommend? I'm not really interested in burbles or flat-foot shifting, but how's the Cobb traction control? I see that it's adjustable, how does that work?

Thanks everyone!
Yes but I would gap them to 024.

Uselessmechanic

Car(s)
2015 golf 1.8tsi
Hello, I am new to this forum, but I recently purchased a manual golf 1.8 tsi coupe and it was in excellent condition. No problems on the first few drives, but after a few days i put the handbrake up and realized it wouldn't come down, it was fully stuck. Anyways, through some less-than-professional tactics, we were able to get the brake to come back down, and on it went with no more problems until 2 days ago, and that time it was truly, completely stuck. I ended up disconnecting the e brake from the calipers, so i could at least get home, which is when i was able to narrow the problem down to the actual handle. The issue was that the previous owner had seemingly "mended' a lost spring by using a rubber grommet from the underside. This, apparently worked great, until it didn't, so now i am unsure what to do because i don't know the actual part number or to be honest, the oem location of said missing spring. Can anyone help me??

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Hello, I am new to this forum, but I recently purchased a manual golf 1.8 tsi coupe and it was in excellent condition. No problems on the first few drives, but after a few days i put the handbrake up and realized it wouldn't come down, it was fully stuck. Anyways, through some less-than-professional tactics, we were able to get the brake to come back down, and on it went with no more problems until 2 days ago, and that time it was truly, completely stuck. I ended up disconnecting the e brake from the calipers, so i could at least get home, which is when i was able to narrow the problem down to the actual handle. The issue was that the previous owner had seemingly "mended' a lost spring by using a rubber grommet from the underside. This, apparently worked great, until it didn't, so now i am unsure what to do because i don't know the actual part number or to be honest, the oem location of said missing spring. Can anyone help me??
@golfdave night be able to help with Part Numbers/Diagrams