GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Stock 2015. New owner. I think I just had my first big heat-related power loss. 90 degrees today, car was already fully warmed up. I was driving ~30mph for several minutes then at a stoplight for a minute. Once I turned onto the next street, I gunned it to wind out 3rd and it was meh -- felt like 3/4 throttle at most. But then after that high speed push, I turned around and did another run and the full power was back.

So -- was this heat soak, and the high speed run force air through the IC to cool it off? Or something more nefarious...

And if it was heat soak, is a FMIC the easiest solution in hot climates?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Stock 2015. New owner. I think I just had my first big heat-related power loss. 90 degrees today, car was already fully warmed up. I was driving ~30mph for several minutes then at a stoplight for a minute. Once I turned onto the next street, I gunned it to wind out 3rd and it was meh -- felt like 3/4 throttle at most. But then after that high speed push, I turned around and did another run and the full power was back.

So -- was this heat soak, and the high speed run force air through the IC to cool it off? Or something more nefarious...

And if it was heat soak, is a FMIC the easiest solution in hot climates?
Hard to say for sure, but it sounds like it. Yes on the IC. I'm not wading into the FMIC vs stock location debate though; they all help immensely.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Hard to say for sure, but it sounds like it. Yes on the IC. I'm not wading into the FMIC vs stock location debate though; they all help immensely.
Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm also paranoid about the turbo since it's a 2015 and I know the early versions were known to go bad. But after 53k miles, I think I'm probably safe. Have a CPO warranty anyways. I'll start researching FMIC options since those seem to be the easiest to install.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm also paranoid about the turbo since it's a 2015 and I know the early versions were known to go bad. But after 53k miles, I think I'm probably safe. Have a CPO warranty anyways. I'll start researching FMIC options since those seem to be the easiest to install.
Make sure you don't have the square radar in the middle of the lower grille, 2015-17s with ACC or collision warning (I forget which radar it is, or maybe it's for both?) can't run an FMIC and have to get a stock location replacement. MK7.5s have the radar relocated so it isn't an issue.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Make sure you don't have the square radar in the middle of the lower grille, 2015-17s with ACC or collision warning (I forget which radar it is, or maybe it's for both?) can't run an FMIC and have to get a stock location replacement. MK7.5s have the radar relocated so it isn't an issue.
I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure gtijake told me I couldn't use a FMIC in my 18 SE mk7. 5 because of the collision braking camera behind the emblem.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure gtijake told me I couldn't use a FMIC in my 18 SE mk7. 5 because of the collision braking camera behind the emblem.
Believe a few 7.5's with Collision braking are currently running an FMIC. Most FMICs only call out the radar in the lower grille as not being able to fit, they mention nothing about radar behind the emblem.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Thanks. I'm good. S model with no bells or whistles.

RisingFallens

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI!
Anything I should be checking on / inspecting before my Dyno runs tomorrow? It’s supposed to be a nice 0% humidity and a high of 82 degrees, so I hope it’s not to hot in the shop 😌

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
If I remember right, click the up arrow twice from the fuel economy screen.
Yup, there it is, thanks.

I find navigating the small info screen really clunky. Up/Dn, OK, and the weird left/right circular menu scroll. VW could have done better there.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Starting to get cyl 2 misfires. Going to swap coil pack and plug, check gap as well to see if the issue follows. Are injectors an issue with this few km (MY2018 with 67,000 km/41,600 miles) or is it likely carbon build up?

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Starting to get cyl 2 misfires. Going to swap coil pack and plug, check gap as well to see if the issue follows. Are injectors an issue with this few km (MY2018 with 67,000 km/41,600 miles) or is it likely carbon build up?

I don't know if it's still a thing with these cars, but on my '95 VR6 I had to replace the plug wires every 30K Km, because they were some kind of 'carbon conductor' rather than actual wire, and it wore out over time???

The only other times I've had to replace plug wires at all was in conjunction with a high-energy ignition upgrade (think carbureted bikes and cars).

On a modern car chasing misfires, I'd only throw coils at it if I were getting a code specific to 'unable to fire/control coil on cylinder X'.

Probably plugs. You may be able to re-gap them and squeeze some more life out of them. I did that on my truck once before putting new ones in. You need to be gentler with them if they're platinum/iridium than if they were old copper types.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I've seen the silver 'ribbed for yer pleasure' bumper protector VW sells, but has anyone ever seen a nice stainless or aluminium one?