Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Just curious what your reason was?
Oh God, this may make me look like an idiot, but I thought it'd just bounce off of the Rev limiter a while longer instead of cutting fuel. I thought it'd be cool to have that instead of the car shifting for me. In retrospect I really don't see why I need it now.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
Oh God, this may make me look like an idiot, but I thought it'd just bounce off of the Rev limiter a while longer instead of cutting fuel. I thought it'd be cool to have that instead of the car shifting for me. In retrospect I really don't see why I need it now.
If you just wanna bang off a limiter you could probably tune a soft limiter at 6300 or something and just bang off that and avoid the fuel cut off

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Appreciate the honesty. 👍

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Bruh the red obviously means "danger".

I hit redline once. Never again.
Again… hitting “redline” while accelerating only kicks on the limiter (nanny/safety that’s on modern cars with ecu’s) to prevent you from over reving. Our “redline” starts at 6k many members including myself spin our cars to 7k yet they’ve not blown up instantly.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yeah our limiters aren’t like most JDM cars were it just “bounces” off the limiter but keeps accelerating, it literally feels like hitting a wall and the cars face just drops on you

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Again… hitting “redline” while accelerating only kicks on the limiter (nanny/safety that’s on modern cars with ecu’s) to prevent you from over reving. Our “redline” starts at 6k many members including myself spin our cars to 7k yet they’ve not blown up instantly.

I was being sarcastic. I guess that doesn't translate well online. On one of my last cars I had a tuner raise the rev limiter and I'd shift past where the tach ended. :p

Although I haven't hit redline in the Golf in a while since I'm still breaking in the clutch. It's been pretty boring lol.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
If you just wanna bang off a limiter you could probably tune a soft limiter at 6300 or something and just bang off that and avoid the fuel cut off
Did not know that was possible. While very cool I don't think it's worth paying a custom tune just for that. I'll probably just end up adding back the auto shift to avoid it happening again.

1L19

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Ok that's five webpages I read without an answer to my question so I'll ask the experts. I have three driving modes... normal, sport and custom. If I pick normal it puts a D on my instrument panel, if I pick sport it puts an S there.

So how are the Custom settings applied? It doesn't seem like there is a C mode or anything so when are those settings used? Does it modify sport mode maybe? How can I tell?

Thank you!