GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/mk75-gti-gloss-black-rear-diffuser/007565la01kt/

Is that the one? How's the fitment? Any reason you went with that over TCR?
Yup that one.

Fitment is perfect, very pain free install.

Love the TCR but there one big issue with them that’s always bothered me was how excessive the outer corners “sweep” out its like step and just don’t naturally flow well to me with out adding that tall trim piece that the oem ones come with and adding that trim wasn’t an option for me cause I don’t like the look that trim gives the car.

Also I liked how the ECS one hang a lot lower with more aggressive fins so when I air the car down the height matchs the rest of the cars sides and fronts better. On thing that kept me from doing it before was that I knew it’a would hide my mufflers with I really liked how they used to peak out… but give n take as usual.

Height before -
9F075DB6-E158-4988-BE2D-76D61CA82287.jpeg

Height after *no change with suspension -
7F9475C0-A638-4B6B-BDFF-88B344E04778.jpeg

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Yup that one.

Love the TCR but there one big issue with them that’s always bothered me was how excessive the outer corners “sweep” out its like step and just don’t naturally flow well to me with out adding that tall trim piece that the oem ones come with and adding that trim wasn’t an option for me cause I don’t like the look that trim gives the car.

Also I liked how the ECS one hang a lot lower with more aggressive fins so when I air the car down the height matchs the rest of the cars sides and fronts better. On thing that kept me from doing it before was that I knew it’a would hide my mufflers with I really liked how they used to peak out… but give n take as usual.

Height before -
View attachment 220398

Height after *no change with suspension -
View attachment 220397

Ohhhh that looks good. Love it even more with the drop.

I recently ordered the same diffuser (only in cf since I've got the ecs cf front lip). This reassures me I made the right choice.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Yup that one.

Height before -

Height after *no change with suspension
Perfect! That's one of my only issues with the TCR, how it sticks out like you said. Got any more pics with different angles by any chance? Also, by any chance you used the OEM mud flaps prior and tried to put it on?

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Perfect! That's one of my only issues with the TCR, how it sticks out like you said. Got any more pics with different angles by any chance? Also, by any chance you used the OEM mud flaps prior and tried to put it on?
Yeah the before pics I was running the oem flaps on the rear… with the new dif I tried to fit them but you have to cut them soo much to clear the new size you end of getting into the back structure supports of them and created a whole in the front some, also you would have to drill into the new diffuser to get the bottom tab to remount.

In the end I just ended up destroying in the one I tried to get to fit with it, lol.
D4FA425E-1139-4E35-9F23-69D3AFB00B00.jpeg

8C1A920F-6CDD-4CCF-87D8-5E0F3FD82FE4.jpeg

BBD8DED5-65AB-4227-820D-44C6E3271B41.jpeg

AAD9FE52-4661-4D86-B3C3-370FC5BFF216.jpeg

E00FB9EE-2CF8-4C31-A34F-9F2C8331BE5B.jpeg

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Has anyone ever had a perfectly straight steering wheel after an alignment? I don’t think I ever have. It’s the thing I dread having done to my car most. I always know leaving the shop the wheel is going to be slightly off center to either the left or the right. Fucks with my OCD.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Mine was straight enough for me not to notice anything. Could be off by a degree or two, but not enough to trigger my anal retentiveness.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Mine was straight enough for me not to notice anything. Could be off by a degree or two, but not enough to trigger my anal retentiveness.

Mine was off by at least ten degrees or more. When I held it straight it pulled me to the side of the road. Drove around the block and took it right back lol.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Has anyone ever had a perfectly straight steering wheel after an alignment? I don’t think I ever have. It’s the thing I dread having done to my car most. I always know leaving the shop the wheel is going to be slightly off center to either the left or the right. Fucks with my OCD.
I’ve had difficulty with this before until I found a guy (performance alignment shop) who actually cares and doesn’t just call it done when the arrows show green.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I’ve had difficulty with this before until I found a guy (performance alignment shop) who actually cares and doesn’t just call it done when the arrows show green.

Need to find my own place like that. I’ve been here for two and a half hours and it’s been “done” twice. Both times I’ve driven it after and it’s still pulling.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Need to find my own place like that. I’ve been here for two and a half hours and it’s been “done” twice. Both times I’ve driven it after and it’s still pulling.

Not sure where you live but Performance Automotive in Malvern PA did my alignment after lowering my car and it was spot on. They set up a lot of Porsche race cars and work on mostly euro stuff in general. They know what they're doing.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Was going to say what @Ezekiel81923 said. Find the shop that services the Porsche race cars.

1L19

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Imagine you are creating a form for a GTI owner to fill out before a sound test to indicate any upgrades he/she has on the car. It has a field for each of the parts he/she could change to alter the sound of the engine. So far I have:

cold air intake
turbo charger
exhaust pipes (turboback/downpipe/catback/axleback)
catalytic converter
resonator
muffler
drop in filter
butterfly valve

I don't want to include any fake sound generators. Am I missing anything?

Thank you!

itskohler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 1998 4runn
I had to replace my battery the other day, which caused me to recalibrate my key. I went through the procedure in the manual, and the proximity part works. But before I replaced the battery I could press the hash mark on the handle and unlock the driver door, then press again to unlock all of the doors. I could also touch that spot and lock the doors after I got out. That functionality is gone now. Where did I go wrong? Is there a different calibration I need to do? Thanks all!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I had to replace my battery the other day, which caused me to recalibrate my key. I went through the procedure in the manual, and the proximity part works. But before I replaced the battery I could press the hash mark on the handle and unlock the driver door, then press again to unlock all of the doors. I could also touch that spot and lock the doors after I got out. That functionality is gone now. Where did I go wrong? Is there a different calibration I need to do? Thanks all!
I never thought that touching the hash mark to unlock and then touching it again did anything but lock it again. Never heard of touching twice to unlock all doors.

itskohler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 1998 4runn
I never thought that touching the hash mark to unlock and then touching it again did anything but lock it again. Never heard of touching twice to unlock all doors.
Maybe I'm going crazy and it didn't unlock all of the doors. But it still doesn't work to either unlock or lock the doors. I can hear the doors unlock as my hand reaches for the handle, but thats it, don't even have time to touch the hash mark. And there's no way to lock it unless I use the fob.