GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
VW said 502 oil for my 18 SE and at 1000 miles changed the oil and never used 502 once since then. 131,000 heavily tuned miles later and going strong.
I have a stock 2020 gli. Well, it’s my wife’s but u know what I mean

last oil change I poured in the vw502 5w40. All was fine. After the 24fx update, the car sounds and feels like it wants to stall during cold start. And for some weird reason her oil temps average about 10-15f higher than mine. Before 24fx my oil temps were about 5-10f higher than hers.

I think 24fx introduces an actual need to use the 0w20

cb1111

VW said 502 oil for my 18 SE and at 1000 miles changed the oil and never used 502 once since then. 131,000 heavily tuned miles later and going strong.
You have an 18. You don't have a dog in this fight.

I put 150k miles on my V12 Jaguar. IIRC, it used 20w50. Using your logic, everyone should use 20w50.

VW changed the software and some hardware bits for the 2019 2.0 engine - and changed the oil requirements at the same time.

There are reports in this thread that 5w40 causes issues with the latest update from VW, so there clearly is a reason why VW mandates 508.

EDIT - I wrote the above before Keehs jumped in. The problem is, that many here think they know everything better than the manufacturer.

I think y'all should run my maple syrup Kung PAO sauce and Corona instead of 508. I recommend it and I'm on the internet so I have to be right.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I put 150k miles on my V12 Jaguar. IIRC, it used 20w50. Using your logic, everyone should use 20w50.

VW changed the software and some hardware bits for the 2019 2.0 engine - and changed the oil requirements at the same time.

There are reports in this thread that 5w40 causes issues with the latest update from VW, so there clearly is a reason why VW mandates 508.
Well time will tell if we start hearing about problems from guys who ran the 5w40. I agree with you though there's no way EQT will pay for repairs as a result of their recommendation to use 5w40.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

I’m hoping a 0w30 or 0w40 with the 508 certification is created one day.

cb1111

I bought my 19 Alltrack in January 21 (which is when they allegedly did the PDI) - build date July 19. Today I got a "service due in 27 days" message.

It clearly needs no service (3k miles) and the time in service date was January 2021 - so the first service is due in January 2022 or 10k miles (whichever comes first).

How do I reset the nag without resetting the actual service due? Or is there some way to manually set the first service due using VCDS?

If there isn't a way to just reset the nag, how do I reset it and still keep the next service as being the first service - or doesn't VW log the type of next service like Acura/Honda (where doing a reset would screw you up royally unless you cheated and reset it a whole bunch of times)?

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I bought my 19 Alltrack in January 21 (which is when they allegedly did the PDI) - build date July 19. Today I got a "service due in 27 days" message.

It clearly needs no service (3k miles) and the time in service date was January 2021 - so the first service is due in January 2022 or 10k miles (whichever comes first).

How do I reset the nag without resetting the actual service due? Or is there some way to manually set the first service due using VCDS?

If there isn't a way to just reset the nag, how do I reset it and still keep the next service as being the first service - or doesn't VW log the type of next service like Acura/Honda (where doing a reset would screw you up royally unless you cheated and reset it a whole bunch of times)?
Service due is your 2 year service, separate from the oil change notification. If your oil change was changed January, when you go through the menu, just make sure to pick to reset just the service one.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

I had this problem. Using obd11 I just reset the service minder. Costed 10 credits and it didn’t reset the oil service