GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
It is as if it wants to stall. The day I had 24fx flashed the dealer went through a checklist with me. Asking me if I’m tuned, what oil is in the car etc. the gli is stock but I did tell them the 5w40 was in there. Service writer told me it was gonna idle like shit on cold start. So I wasn’t exactly surprised.

dealership I go to is also an apr dealer. They make sure folks who aren’t apr tuned understand they will lose their tune if they reflash an ecu update.

they’ll also lend u their battery tender so u can flash via access port too

they also do apr plus warranty stuff too

but yeah. No surprise about my cold start. In aug the gli will be due for another oil change. I’ll make sure it’s the 0w20 this time
I wish my dealership was like that... Mine was just "Tuned? Warranty voided, everything". He asked me what my tuner was, I said EQT. He says never heard of it, must not be good... All he knew was APR.

What would you do in my case? Not flash 24FX and switch to 5w40 then? Cause right now no point in me flashing 24fx until the Cobb files (and EQT are updated with it).

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I wish my dealership was like that... Mine was just "Tuned? Warranty voided, everything". He asked me what my tuner was, I said EQT. He says never heard of it, must not be good... All he knew was APR.

What would you do in my case? Not flash 24FX and switch to 5w40 then? Cause right now no point in me flashing 24fx until the Cobb files (and EQT are updated with it).
Man in your case I’d avoid 24fx if you wanna keep using the 5w40

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My only privilege is driving like 3-5k miles a year. I’m able to toss the filter after every 5k miles and it doesn’t financially hurt me. Someone like Jim could afford it, but he’d have to do it like every 3-4 weeks. That adds up. That’s money he could’ve spent on mayo
I've got better things to spend it on instead of mayo. Beer comes to mind. 🍻

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
They don't and "Ed" won't pay for any repairs that VW denies because you used the wrong oil.
I'm tuned already, VW won't pay for shit anyway. This is why I am even looking into it. If warranty is likely voided, might as well say fuck it and protect myself by going 5w40. But I am still investigating.

cb1111

I'm tuned already, VW won't pay for shit anyway. This is why I am even looking into it. If warranty is likely voided, might as well say fuck it and protect myself by going 5w40. But I am still investigating.
except, of course, you are assuming that 5w40 "protects" better than what the manufacturer requires.

Let's see, who to believe? A bunch of guys on the internet who "think" that their seat of the pants testing shows that 5w40 is better based on a conspiracy theory that VW changed the oil for grins and giggles - or the manufacturer that actually tests this stuff and modifies soft and hardware which mandates that 508 oil.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ed has tuned them and must not have had any negative feedback with problems from the heavier weight oil but there's no way he would pay for repairs if it did cause a problem. I would run the 5w40 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
except, of course, you are assuming that 5w40 "protects" better than what the manufacturer requires.

Let's see, who to believe? A bunch of guys on the internet who "think" that their seat of the pants testing shows that 5w40 is better based on a conspiracy theory that VW changed the oil for grins and giggles - or the manufacturer that actually tests this stuff and modifies soft and hardware which mandates that 508 oil.
VW said 502 oil for my 18 SE and at 1000 miles changed the oil and never used 502 once since then. 131,000 heavily tuned miles later and going strong.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Ed has tuned them and must not have had any negative feedback with problems from the heavier weight oil but there's no way he would pay for repairs if it did cause a problem. I would run the 5w40 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter.
I think the latest 24fx update will throw a monkey wrench in what folk’s opinion of 5w40 in a vw508 GTI would perform.