GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
How much does it cost? My AEM dry flow is somewhere around $40 for a replacement. Too expensive to toss.
The injen one I’m running and will rebuy is probably that price too

the Cobb filter, no idea tbh. But the Cobb filter is basically a better considered version of that shitty k&n one. The oil that’s used in the Cobb is also different too. I’m gonna guess the Cobb filter is at least 40-60$

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The injen one I’m running and will rebuy is probably that price too

the Cobb filter, no idea tbh. But the Cobb filter is basically a better considered version of that shitty k&n one. The oil that’s used in the Cobb is also different too. I’m gonna guess the Cobb filter is at least 40-60$
I guess since you don't drive that many miles it's affordable but for me it would be too expensive.
By the way I have noticed way less drop off in power in the hot weather since adding the ECS air intake.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I guess since you don't drive that many miles it's affordable but for me it would be too expensive.
By the way I have noticed way less drop off in power in the hot weather since adding the ECS air intake.
My ecs air duct thing is sagging in the middle. I’m gonna cut open the stock one and put that back in. Performance is the same, it just looks ugly due to the sagging

yeah my low mileage lifestyle buys me some privilege 😂

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Yes. I do. But the cone filter is garbage. They all are. I like the Cobb oiled filter. I’ll run that one for 10-12k miles for sure. But the dry ones suck, their filtration rate tanks little by little.
AFAIK any filter will flow less but filter more during use as the passages get filled with whatever it traps (ignoring any bypass).

OP,
Hold filter up to light and see how much light passes through to check on the toss/clean decision.

K,
privilege is addictive be careful with it.

Mud

:)

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
AFAIK any filter will flow less but filter more during use as the passages get filled with whatever it traps (ignoring any bypass).

OP,
Hold filter up to light and see how much light passes through to check on the toss/clean decision.

K,
privilege is addictive be careful with it.

Mud

:)
My only privilege is driving like 3-5k miles a year. I’m able to toss the filter after every 5k miles and it doesn’t financially hurt me. Someone like Jim could afford it, but he’d have to do it like every 3-4 weeks. That adds up. That’s money he could’ve spent on mayo

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My filter replacement is like $150 bucks, screw that lol

Maybe I'll have to get the BMP upgrade someday, then I can just use regular cone filters.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
@GTIfan99 @jimlloyd40 @Keehs360

Ed got back to me. He said he'd still suggest sticking to 5w40 despite the changes to the oil pump. He also mentioned the manual recommends oil weight based on conditions and use, and go beyond the basic 0w20 recommendation, thus why he'd suggest 5w40.

Sounds good, though I'm not sure 19+ have the conditions based recommendations.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Sounds good, though I'm not sure 19+ have the conditions based recommendations.
I’ll say this. Cold start in the 2020 gli with the 5w40 is rough as fucking fuck after 24fx update was installed. It was fine before it. But after, nope.

cold start on the 2020 stage 1 GTI with the 0w20 after 24fx is as smooth as silk.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don't see his reply.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I’ll say this. Cold start in the 2020 gli with the 5w40 is rough as fucking fuck after 24fx update was installed. It was fine before it. But after, nope.

cold start on the 2020 stage 1 GTI with the 0w20 after 24fx is as smooth as silk.
Can you elaborate on the roughness? I remember on my 2018, cold start had some of the heartbeat/stumbles but it was fairly quick. On the 19 now (no 24fx), with the 0w20, it's fairly smooth but takes a long ass time. And it doesn't even matter sometimes if I drove for a bit. I could park the car, come back to it an hour or two later, and it'll be a long start too before the RPMs drop.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Can you elaborate on the roughness? I remember on my 2018, cold start had some of the heartbeat/stumbles but it was fairly quick. On the 19 now (no 24fx), with the 0w20, it's fairly smooth but takes a long ass time. And it doesn't even matter sometimes if I drove for a bit. I could park the car, come back to it an hour or two later, and it'll be a long start too before the RPMs drop.
It is as if it wants to stall. The day I had 24fx flashed the dealer went through a checklist with me. Asking me if I’m tuned, what oil is in the car etc. the gli is stock but I did tell them the 5w40 was in there. Service writer told me it was gonna idle like shit on cold start. So I wasn’t exactly surprised.

dealership I go to is also an apr dealer. They make sure folks who aren’t apr tuned understand they will lose their tune if they reflash an ecu update.

they’ll also lend u their battery tender so u can flash via access port too

they also do apr plus warranty stuff too

but yeah. No surprise about my cold start. In aug the gli will be due for another oil change. I’ll make sure it’s the 0w20 this time