GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

ScorpionT16

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 MK7.5 Autobahn
Me? I'd probably go to the dealer first and see what they say. Where do you feel the vibration - in the seat or in the steering wheel?
In the steering wheel, and through my legs, maybe a little through the seat at the headrest. On the winter tires a week ago (which were brand new, on brand new rim too) the car was super smooth, no vibes, or noises

Other thing was, driving on the hwy a few hrs after the dealer did the swap, TPMS went off, came home, and all tire's had low and different pressures, like 31psi low, and that was hot after a ride. Topped it off to recommended 38-39 when cold, and the vibes are more pronounced

cb1111

In the steering wheel, and through my legs, maybe a little through the seat at the headrest. On the winter tires a week ago (which were brand new, on brand new rim too) the car was super smooth, no vibes, or noises

Other thing was, driving on the hwy a few hrs after the dealer did the swap, TPMS went off, came home, and all tire's had low and different pressures, like 31psi low, and that was hot after a ride. Topped it off to recommended 38-39 when cold, and the vibes are more pronounced
Here you go:

1620254444608.png

cb1111

what is a road force rebalance? It's fairly annoying when driving and I hoped the new rims/rebalance would eliminate it.

I'll have to see about the warranty, cause the car was a demo model (just owned by the finance manager at VW, he did less than 3k kms on it, it wasn't test driven due to covid, I got it with 3,500kms on the odo) So the stock tires do have 3,500kms on them. The Rotary rims are discontinued, luckily another dealer a few km's away had a set of 4 new ones in stock. So a different VW dealer did the swap and rebalance, so not sure they will honor any warranty on them. Odd thing is, the stock rims which I sold had a lot of weights on them, and now so do the rotaries. When I get them rebalanced, I'll inquire
There is a separate tire warranty (included with your owner's manual) that should cover defects. If a tire won't balance then any Bridgestone/Firestone dealer should take of it.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Hey guys.... I guess this question can go here...

Does anyone know what was the stock value for a Mk7 Golf R (NA/US) is in [03-ABS Brake] > Byte 29? Where you adjust how the ESC button operates?

What did yours come with? Mine was on "08"... is that what everyone else has? I thought it was supposed to be 06?

View attachment 212427 View attachment 212426

So after searching for literally weeks, the only thing I can find on this is here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/esc-coding-discovery.361528/

This kind soul registered 2 years ago to make that thread, didn't receive much attention and didn't really log in again.. but he left some good info... (@Diggs24 did swing by)

The claim "There are R's with 08 and 88 coding" I cant confirm anywhere.... but it at least confirms that my stock coding "08" was in fact correct...

He sort of compiled info on byte 29, all assumptions by him but very good educated guesses :

On the first digit:
- A if you have ACC and lane assist
- 8 if you have only ACC
- 2 if you have only lane assist
- 0 if you have neither

This would make sense as my car has nothing and its first digit is "0" too...

On the second digit, the conclusion is "6 or 8, might have to do with the diff/haldex"

Which would makes sense as the 08 was a GTI PP thing with the Haldex VAQ and the "08 and 88" in the Golf R with the Haldex AWD....

The guess is that the first digit disables a system (In my case, nothing needs to be disabled)

And the second digit.... keeps "something" enabled? The Haldex?

Could it have anything to do with XDS / EDL? I'm always wondering if it stays on when ESC and ASR are "OFF"....

Research tells me the answer is it does stay on, but obviously its not clear... anyone is welcome to chime in.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted

hopefully the same "tech" that didn't check psi didn't fail to torque wheels properly. I would go back to dealer. Hint after properly inflating tires you should go into settings and hit reset on tpms then go for a ride. It takes the car some time for the sensor to calibrate since it works off wheel speed sensors.

Mud

ScorpionT16

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 MK7.5 Autobahn
There is a separate tire warranty (included with your owner's manual) that should cover defects. If a tire won't balance then any Bridgestone/Firestone dealer should take of it.
Went to the dealer I got the car from, they have a Road Force machine, though said they have to charge to do it, so stick with the dealer that installed the rims/tires, who do not have a RF machine and see. The rep did say whatever the outcome, they won't do anything under warranty, as it's a wear and tear item and not covered. He said just ride it out, let the flat spot self-balance, or put the winter tires on early, uhm.. no.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Anybody notice shop rates going up? I was quoted $100 for an oil change, and $380 to install a RSB ($190), dogbone insert ($65), and a front/back short shifter($125). That was from the indie shop I've gone to forever. Couldn't believe the prices...Guess I'll just do it myself or I can check 1 other shop. If it all would have been about $250 I might have done it, but that's honestly twice what I expected.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Anybody notice shop rates going up? I was quoted $100 for an oil change, and $380 to install a RSB ($190), dogbone insert ($65), and a front/back short shifter($125). That was from the indie shop I've gone to forever. Couldn't believe the prices...Guess I'll just do it myself or I can check 1 other shop. If it all would have been about $250 I might have done it, but that's honestly twice what I expected.

I mean you can definitely do the short shifter. Just watch a youtube video and copy them. All you have to do for access to the transmission is take the intake off.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I mean you can definitely do the short shifter. Just watch a youtube video and copy them. All you have to do for access to the transmission is take the intake off.
None of them are things I can't do, and they're all parts I've installed on my previous VWs lol
Just didn't expect everything to be so high. From what I've heard from other shops I'm kinda worried it's gonna be a wide spread thing. $100-120 hourly rates might be coming to an end.

cb1111

Went to the dealer I got the car from, they have a Road Force machine, though said they have to charge to do it, so stick with the dealer that installed the rims/tires, who do not have a RF machine and see. The rep did say whatever the outcome, they won't do anything under warranty, as it's a wear and tear item and not covered. He said just ride it out, let the flat spot self-balance, or put the winter tires on early, uhm.. no.
First - you need to find a new dealer - they are idiots.

They are correct that it isn't covered under the VW warranty but it IS covered under the separate tire warranty and the dealer would do the warranty claim for you.

Once you've narrowed down the problematic tire, go to your local favorite tire dealer that sells Bridgestone tires and have them file a warranty claim on that tire.

After you've gotten that resolved, call VW of Canada and complain about the original dealer.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
flat spots really aren't much of a thing anymore...and the winters on early!?!? :LOL:

cb1111

flat spots really aren't much of a thing anymore...and the winters on early!?!? :LOL:
It is never too early to put winters on....

If a modern tire has a persistent flat spot (not a "I let the car sit for a half year and got a bit of a thumpety thump for the first couple of miles") then the tire is defective.

It is far easier for the dealer to say "buy a new tire" than it is for them to put in a warranty claim with Bridgestone".

Most Bridgestone dealers will warranty this without question - new'ish tire with a defect that keeps it from balancing.

Your dealer needs to be slapped by VW of Canada.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It is never too early to put winters on....

If a modern tire has a persistent flat spot (not a "I let the car sit for a half year and got a bit of a thumpety thump for the first couple of miles") then the tire is defective.

It is far easier for the dealer to say "buy a new tire" than it is for them to put in a warranty claim with Bridgestone".

Most Bridgestone dealers will warranty this without question - new'ish tire with a defect that keeps it from balancing.

Your dealer needs to be slapped by VW of Canada.
If you're going to put winter tires on in early May you might as well run them year around.