GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
What could cause a spark plug gap to close? I replaced a set of Ruth's that had maybe 15k miles on them, and the gap had closed to ~0.020 or so. When I installed them, they were pre-gapped to 0.024 - 0.025 (same as the new ones), and I had left them as-is. Usually they open after time, not close...
Maybe they are for Australian models?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What could cause a spark plug gap to close? I replaced a set of Ruth's that had maybe 15k miles on them, and the gap had closed to ~0.020 or so. When I installed them, they were pre-gapped to 0.024 - 0.025 (same as the new ones), and I had left them as-is. Usually they open after time, not close...
I've not heard of that either.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
That’s impossible. Shouldn’t it widen little by little?!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
:) I only asked because I wasn't smart enough to check behind the manufacturer the first time I purchased pre-gapped plugs.
The Ruthenium plugs come pre-gapped to 032. He gapped his to 024 and after 15,000 miles the gap had tightened. Plugs always open up the gap after some mileage.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I've not heard of that either.

That’s impossible. Shouldn’t it widen little by little?!

You confirmed this?

The Ruthenium plugs come pre-gapped to 032. He gapped his to 024 and after 15,000 miles the gap had tightened. Plugs always open up the gap after some mileage.

Yes, I distinctly remember checking them when I got them. Both sets, the old and the one new today, were pre-gapped around 0.024 - 0.026. Gap wasn't touched on either set.

These are both old ones. The one on the right, I opened the gap to ~0.024 for comparison. The one on the left, I can barely check with my gap tool which starts at ~0.020 (one of those metal circular ones the size of a half dollar):

1619910287173.png

1619910343666.png

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes, I distinctly remember checking them when I got them. Both sets, the old and the one new today, were pre-gapped around 0.024 - 0.026. Gap wasn't touched on either set.

These are both old ones. The one on the right, I opened the gap to ~0.024 for comparison. The one on the left, I can barely check with my gap tool which starts at ~0.020 (one of those metal circular ones the size of a half dollar):

View attachment 212161

View attachment 212162
What is the white scale on them?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
In your picture it looks scaly on the side electrode. Maybe it's just the picture or my eyes.

Ohhh... I thought there was some scale of how white your plugs should be or something that I didn't know about...