GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
FWIW I've had a pretty disappointing CarPlay experience in my 2019 w/ MIB2. Every phone call I've ever made has fuzzed out and become distorted within minutes no matter what cable I use. Unplugging and replugging it fixes it but it's plagued me from the start. If an MIB3 retrofit ever becomes feasible, I'd consider it to try and resolve this if nothing else.

Same here in my 2017. Songs and podcasts sound great. Phone calls always become distorted and robotic.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Why hasn't someone created an off-center steering column gauge pod mount for the MK7 yet? I had the Podi one on my MK6 and loved the placement (and the gauge). Old picture for reference:

thumbnail_IMG_3762.jpg

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
CarPlay can be hit or miss for me sometimes. I had this weird issue where it kept using the phone/Siri speakers/volume setting for music and it was really aggravating. Turned out to be a bad cable. I ran into issues with CarPlay on the head unit in my old car as well, so I just kind of roll with them now. It works great for me 95% of the time. I will say a lot of the time, issues with CarPlay can be traced to the cable being used. I have found it best to just use an official Apple lighting cable.

cb1111

CarPlay can be hit or miss for me sometimes. I had this weird issue where it kept using the phone/Siri speakers/volume setting for music and it was really aggravating. Turned out to be a bad cable. I ran into issues with CarPlay on the head unit in my old car as well, so I just kind of roll with them now. It works great for me 95% of the time. I will say a lot of the time, issues with CarPlay can be traced to the cable being used. I have found it best to just use an official Apple lighting cable.
Yes, almost all CarPlay/Android Auto issues can be traced back to bad cables. As a general rule, you'll want to use a shorter cable rather than longer and use either an Apple cable or a top brand like Anker.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Is it recommended to detune while breaking in a performance (smfw) clutch?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I would, pretty sure the butt dyno doesn't lie, the EQT tune completely changes 1000-3000 RPM.
I detuned it before I had it installed, was just wondering if it will need a “second” break in once the EQT beast is unleashed.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Yes, almost all CarPlay/Android Auto issues can be traced back to bad cables. As a general rule, you'll want to use a shorter cable rather than longer and use either an Apple cable or a top brand like Anker.
Happens with multiple cables, including the Apple OEM one, so for this particular issue I don't believe it's related. But your point largely is correct for many issues, I'm sure.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Happens with multiple cables, including the Apple OEM one, so for this particular issue I don't believe it's related. But your point largely is correct for many issues, I'm sure.

Yeah, my spotify issue is definitely not a cable issue. The problem exists both with the phone's oem cable and my usual top of line aftermarket cable