GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Any tips or tricks? Going to be tackling this on my GSW to cut back on labor costs for some of the work i'm doing. Debating if I just want them to swap the rotors and calipers and do a brake flush, or see how much tacking the Turbo swap on might be. Figure mounts and maybe the turbo might be easy enough to save some cash on. I don't have any bleeder tools for the brakes, so figure let them handle it. A flush is about 100 bucks, figure labor for a rotor and caliper swap wouldn't be much more.
No tricks or tips that aren't covered in the videos. It was pretty straight forward & simple

cb1111

Two questions - first - how long does VW cover alignments on new cars? Mine is an in service date of January 2021 with 1300 miles. I think it is 6 months if I'm not mistaken.

Second - when Firestone took my winters off today, they did a free alignment check. Any thoughts on the values?

1618779449058.png

Attachments

• 1618779075063.png
    1618779075063.png
    10.2 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Two questions - first - how long does VW cover alignments on new cars? Mine is an in service date of January 2021 with 1300 miles. I think it is 6 months if I'm not mistaken.

Second - when Firestone took my winters off today, they did a free alignment check. Any thoughts on the values?

View attachment 210788
First. No idea.

second I’d get that squared away as quick as possible but it’s just some toe differences. Not anything major but still worth getting that reeled in.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1

View attachment 210788
I'd be surprised if any dealer covered alignment under warranty. One good pothole can change it. Those numbers aren't that far out of spec either.

Did you get the firestone lifetime alignment while you were there? It's like $150 and you get them for the life of the car. I get it aligned every time I swap wheels now.

cb1111

I'd be surprised if any dealer covered alignment under warranty. One good pothole can change it. Those numbers aren't that far out of spec either.

Did you get the firestone lifetime alignment while you were there? It's like $150 and you get them for the life of the car. I get it aligned every time I swap wheels now.
I figured I'd give VW a shot first this week, then get the Firestone lifetime. It is $199. now - a deal as I do alignments once a year after winter, but the twice a year makes sense.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I figured I'd give VW a shot first this week, then get the Firestone lifetime. It is $199. now - a deal as I do alignments once a year after winter, but the twice a year makes sense.
If you have forward collision emergency braking and need a 4 wheel alignment the camera needs to be calibrated so I would ask Firestone if they can do the camera calibration. And I don't know why it's only when the rear wheels get aligned that the camera needs to be calibrated.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
If you have forward collision emergency braking and need a 4 wheel alignment the camera needs to be calibrated so I would ask Firestone if they can do the camera calibration. And I don't know why it's only when the rear wheels get aligned that the camera needs to be calibrated.
In my neck of the woods I’ve been told only the dealership can do it. Any truth to that?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Good points all. Yep, I have ACC
Dumb question related to ACC -- I have a 2019 GTI S. I don't think it has ACC, but I'm honestly unsure -- is there a safe way to know? I don't want to find out before it's too late. I've had the car yell at me to check rear traffic/signal to me that I'm getting a little too close to a car ahead of me in the front (where the odometer is), but I'm not keen on finding out the hard way that my vehicle doesn't have ACC equipped.

Is the icon on the cruise control button different for those that have it versus those that don't? I do have a sensor behind the VW emblem in the front, but I don't know if that automagically means that I have ACC.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Dumb question related to ACC -- I have a 2019 GTI S. I don't think it has ACC, but I'm honestly unsure -- is there a safe way to know? I don't want to find out before it's too late. I've had the car yell at me to check rear traffic/signal to me that I'm getting a little too close to a car ahead of me in the front (where the odometer is), but I'm not keen on finding out the hard way that my vehicle doesn't have ACC equipped.

Is the icon on the cruise control button different for those that have it versus those that don't? I do have a sensor behind the VW emblem in the front, but I don't know if that automagically means that I have ACC.

Your car doesn’t have adaptive cruise control. Only the Autobahn comes with it.

cb1111

If you have an S then you don't have ACC. If you had ACC and pushed the CC button, then you'd have a picture of a lane and the back of a car in your instrument cluster.