GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Stupid question

I can’t remember what was the name of the handle system. The one u touch to lock and put your hand in to unlock. Was it carr? Karr?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
That’s what it was. Thanks!!!!

the gli won’t honk when u touch the notch on the kessey handle. Door will lock on the first touch. But on the second it won’t honk or do anything. It used to. I used to touch it twice, first time it’ll lock the doors and on the second you’d hear the honk. But for some reason it won’t anymore. I’m wondering if it’s something in the cars infotainment settings

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
That’s what it was. Thanks!!!!

the gli won’t honk when u touch the notch on the kessey handle. Door will lock on the first touch. But on the second it won’t honk or do anything. It used to. I used to touch it twice, first time it’ll lock the doors and on the second you’d hear the honk. But for some reason it won’t anymore. I’m wondering if it’s something in the cars infotainment settings
If you didn’t mess with the setting on obd11 and it’s changed now then yeah with that display on better infotainment should have the “beep on lock” setting visible and adjustable

cb1111

I thought the "beep on second lock" was only via keyfob. Are you sure that touching the dimple a second time got it to chirp?

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
Dumb question. Just received my E30 tune, how do you guys recommend I fill up the very first time to get as close as I can to E30? I only have 91 octane available here in Phoenix and have a few E85 stations around me. However, I’m using the iOS E85 calculator app and a free calculator online about how to mix and get E30.

from what I have seen, the AP can also tell you what percentage of fuel level you currently have in your car. Anyone know how accurate that is? Saw a video stating it’s off and the person adds 10% on top of whatever the AP says you have.

the tune file recommends I add 9.7 gallons of gas and I think it was 3.5 gallons of E85?? But that’s with no fuel in the tank. I have about 60ish% of 91 octane fuel in my tank rn. Would I be able to just add E85 and top off with 91 octane fuel and call it a day or should I empty the tank as much as I can and fill up with the tune file recommends? I don’t drive the car much so it’ll probably take me a week of normal driving to even have the low gas light pop up lol

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
No the AP doesn’t show content on the VW.

Either get a content sensor on the car or buy the 10 dollar testing kit and test the content at your pump before you fill it, then when you determine the ACTUAL content of your pumps e85 that day use the online calculator.

Till then... don’t just guess your ethanol levels, flash that tune, then blame tuner for a knock happy tune file.

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
No the AP doesn’t show content on the VW.

Either get a content sensor on the car or buy the 10 dollar testing kit and test the content at your pump before you fill it, then when you determine the ACTUAL content of your pumps e85 that day use the online calculator.

Till then... don’t just guess your ethanol levels, flash that tune, then blame tuner for a knock happy tune file.
I’m not filling until my ethanol tester comes in tomorrow. I’m just asking once I know the ethanol level, should I try to empty the tank as much as I can to then fill up and mix or if mixing while my tank is 60ish% full of 91, go ahead and mix like that by using the ethanol calculator AFTER checking the ethanol levels. No way in hell was I gonna pump without the tester in my possession lol

and the AP does show the fuel level. Not the ethanol level but the fuel the car currently has. I believe on the access port the gauge is called “fuel level input”. I haven’t married my AP yet until I have my tester ready so I can then marry it and install my E30 tune so I can’t confirm the name of the gauge but from the videos I’ve watched, I think if I remember correctly, that is what it’s called

unless it’s not for VW’s. Cause now that I remember, the videos I watched the guys were showing it on a Ford and a Subaru. So I might be incorrect in terms of the gauge being the AP for VW

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I’m not filling until my ethanol tester comes in tomorrow. I’m just asking once I know the ethanol level, should I try to empty the tank as much as I can to then fill up and mix or if mixing while my tank is 60ish% full of 91, go ahead and mix like that by using the ethanol calculator AFTER checking the ethanol levels. No way in hell was I gonna pump without the tester in my possession lol

and the AP does show the fuel level. Not the ethanol level but the fuel the car currently has. I believe on the access port the gauge is called “fuel level input”. I haven’t married my AP yet until I have my tester ready so I can then marry it and install my E30 tune so I can’t confirm the name of the gauge but from the videos I’ve watched, I think if I remember correctly, that is what it’s called

unless it’s not for VW’s. Cause now that I remember, the videos I watched the guys were showing it on a Ford and a Subaru. So I might be incorrect in terms of the gauge being the AP for VW
I've read it's best to pump E85 then 91 or 93, I guess it mixes in the tank better. But I have done it the other way around with no issues (occasionally near the end of the tank the E level goes up a tick or two).

But otherwise your calculator should have an input for current fuel level and current E level. Just fill in all the blanks and it will tell you how much E to add.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Do you have obd11? You can enable a display on the dash mdi that will show something like gallons left or gallons to be full, (can’t recall what it is right now) but that could help also. And no you don’t have to wait till fully empty you just have the adjust the calculator setting for the amount of 91 you have so maybe 60% = 6-7 gallons. Then use that to know how much you can top off with.