GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

Where do y'all mount your EZ-Pass transponder? With the sensors and cameras (rain sensor/high beam assist), I can't put it directly behind my mirror - hidden from my view - like I did in my Acura.

Does the EZ-Pass work through the "frit" (the dots on top of the windshield)?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Where do y'all mount your EZ-Pass transponder? With the sensors and cameras (rain sensor/high beam assist), I can't put it directly behind my mirror - hidden from my view - like I did in my Acura.

Does the EZ-Pass work through the "frit" (the dots on top of the windshield)?
It will. Didn’t know that was called frit. Cool

edit. Yours is rfid right? Rfid will be fine under the frit

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Thank you. Yes, it is RFID

Frit - it isn't a fritter.
Rfid is all about proximity. The frit won’t be thick enough to interfere.

we once built an rfid system for 18 wheelers. Close the trailer after putting the scanner in. It would inventory everything since everything had a tag. The way trucks are loaded, it was stuff on top of stuff on top of stuff. And the receiver was in a shitty location too, Right on the floor inches from the dual doors. Worked just fine and inventory was done in less than 20 seconds. It would even spit out an excel sheet with columns for origin, weight, item etc

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Stupid question. 2020 dsg autobahn GTI. Stage 1 and dsg tuned. Intake intercooler and cat back

specifically speaking about the first to second shift at pthrottle. In first the rpm’s will get to what looks like 2000-2200 rpm. Then transition for the up shift happens. Then it’ll go into second

at times. The transition feels like a clutch slip. But it can’t possibly be. Considering the low range and low throttle input. I know a dsg can occasionally see a bit too much tq and delay the up shift transition a wee bit before completing its up shift. Is that what’s happening?

sorry if I’m not making sense. I’m trying. So the rpm gets to about 2k or 2.2k in first. Transition for up shift begins and I see the revs drop maybe 400rpm. There’s a slip sensation (feels like it at least). Then upshift happens with revs immediately dropping about another 200rpm.

I've seen this happen in both D and S too. And it doesn’t happen all the time. Maybe 5% of the time is when I’ll experience this

if someone can explain what I’m experiencing I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

Yes - the DQ381 is tuned from the factory to slip between gears more like a torque converter. I noticed this on the 2019 GTI loaner I had for a month 2 years ago. Presumably APR's tune piggybacks OEM tuning and just makes it "better" - tells it to shift higher, and faster depending on throttle input.

It's noticeably less snappy in day to day driving compared to the 2 DQ250 cars I've spent over 50K behind the wheel. Not really an issue to me, I enjoyed the DQ381 programming from the factory a lot more than my 2015 GTI's DQ250. D was still too shifty but S was perfect for me, I could own a DQ381 car and feasibly enjoy the stock tune forever.

In fact - if the 381 was available on the Alltrack I would've 100% gone that route over the 6MT, but my outgoing experience with my 2015 GTI's DQ250 was so sour I couldn't take the risk that I would feel the same way about it on the Alltrack. That, and I knew this was my last chance to buy a brand new 6MT for under 30K lol

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yes - the DQ381 is tuned from the factory to slip between gears more like a torque converter. I noticed this on the 2019 GTI loaner I had for a month 2 years ago. Presumably APR's tune piggybacks OEM tuning and just makes it "better" - tells it to shift higher, and faster depending on throttle input.

It's noticeably less snappy in day to day driving compared to the 2 DQ250 cars I've spent over 50K behind the wheel. Not really an issue to me, I enjoyed the DQ381 programming from the factory a lot more than my 2015 GTI's DQ250. D was still too shifty but S was perfect for me, I could own a DQ381 car and feasibly enjoy the stock tune forever.

In fact - if the 381 was available on the Alltrack I would've 100% gone that route over the 6MT, but my outgoing experience with my 2015 GTI's DQ250 was so sour I couldn't take the risk that I would feel the same way about it on the Alltrack. That, and I knew this was my last chance to buy a brand new 6MT for under 30K lol
Oh I see. It’s just such a weird sensation considering it wasn’t happening all the time. It was as if the upshift’s rev wasn’t matched well too.

I’ve seen YouTube videos of folks just driving around in the 6 speed dsg and it does seem less dynamic and more purposeful in its shifting strategy compared to my 7 speed. As if the 7 speed just wants to squeeze out that extra 0.03 miles per gallon 😂

as far as the manual altrack vs dsg. I dunno. If my left leg wasn’t so banged up I think I’d be seriously stuck between both LOL though I probably would’ve gravitated towards the manual for sure.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Question for people running a 5mm spacer.. it seems like none of them come with a built in centering ring, are you guys using a hub centering ring with these? Also most don’t come with new bolts, are you ordering longer ones or using the factory ones?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Question for people running a 5mm spacer.. it seems like none of them come with a built in centering ring, are you guys using a hub centering ring with these? Also most don’t come with new bolts, are you ordering longer ones or using the factory ones?
You’ll definitely want to go with the slightly longer screws. That much I know.

oh and if it’s for the front. Iirc, folks here have said something about not getting the ecs one and instead going with another brand. Sorry, I can’t remember. I’m sure someone will kick in the info in a sec.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
You’ll definitely want to go with the slightly longer screws. That much I know.

oh and if it’s for the front. Iirc, folks here have said something about not getting the ecs one and instead going with another brand. Sorry, I can’t remember. I’m sure someone will kick in the info in a sec.
I‘m thinking the same with the bolts, but most don’t come with them which is odd. I sent shopdap a message on IG too.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI

Check 42DD. I'm running 5mm front and 10mm rear and both are hubcentric and wheelcentric. Technically mine are adapters since the wheelcentric side is for a different bore than the hubcentric side but they can make whatever you need I believe.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/wheel-spacers-adapters/

They did not come with bolts, I bought longer bolts from Otis Inc LA

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Here's another one; every time I drive the car, I have to turn the blind spot monitoring ON in the menu; it reverts to OFF between drives. What am I missing here? It should be always ON by default, right?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Here's another one; every time I drive the car, I have to turn the blind spot monitoring ON in the menu; it reverts to OFF between drives. What am I missing here? It should be always ON by default, right?
It doesn't have to be on by default but if you turn it on it should stay turned on and not reset to off when you turn off the car.