GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I forgot what it was called. It might have been straight ahead braking. Essentially while braking the calipers take turns sort of pulsating for the sake of keeping the car straight. Or straighter. I’m not sure how well that works tbh. I’ve read here, for normal feeling brakes that will perform as expected it should be turned off
Can't you change it back and compare the same situation to see if it was the problem?

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I turned off both straight ahead break stabilization and hydraulic brake assistance when I first got my OBD11 and I've never experienced what you or the audizine post described. But I also don't think I've had to emergency brake or brake aggressively since then either. Braking feels very normal.

Turning those off is suppose to eliminate the jerkiness you described, it won't create it.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I turned off both straight ahead break stabilization and hydraulic brake assistance when I first got my OBD11 and I've never experienced what you or the audizine post described. But I also don't think I've had to emergency brake or brake aggressively since then either. Braking feels very normal.

Turning those off is suppose to eliminate the jerkiness you described, it won't create it.
I’m about to hit the alley and brake with straight ahead brake thingy on and off. I’m starting to think maybe the straight ahead thing doesn’t work till u brake while turning? And that’s weird as hell. Now I see why folks turn it off pre track

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m about to hit the alley and brake with straight ahead brake thingy on and off. I’m starting to think maybe the straight ahead thing doesn’t work till u brake while turning? And that’s weird as hell. Now I see why folks turn it off pre track
Out sleuthing around in the alley. 😂

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I was hoping to leave that connected to the transmission and drop everything out as a unit. I was also planning on installing the Tyrolsport Deadset kit while the subframe was out anyways.

Maybe I should just do both at once and get it over with. I feel like looking into the clutch is a whole new can of worms though. I'll probably just get the South Bend Stage 2 daily and call it a day.

dude, for the peace of mind definitely go stage 3. Same pedal feel, more headroom. Barely any price difference either

Dameon

Go Kart Champion
Is there a way to make this line on the rotors go away? Around 1100 miles on new rotors and pads and this showed up this week.
729B3CB9-7A99-4B46-923B-56B84E6A573A.jpeg

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Out sleuthing around in the alley. 😂
No difference. Did a few 70-0mph stops.

drove in circles for a bit to cool things off. I felt the brake pedal go soft. So after that I took a left hand turn a bit aggressively. I was doing 60, delayed braking and got to 40, no trail braking, I accelerated a bit post apex

this was the most aggressive I’m willing to go on the street. I’d like to avoid tickets

with that stable front braking thing turned on. Right before apex I felt more understeer. But it was weird. It was a big shock of understeer and it instantly went away

the sensation was very different from what I felt yesterday though.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No difference. Did a few 70-0mph stops.

drove in circles for a bit to cool things off. I felt the brake pedal go soft. So after that I took a left hand turn a bit aggressively. I was doing 60, delayed braking and got to 40, no trail braking, I accelerated a bit post apex

this was the most aggressive I’m willing to go on the street. I’d like to avoid tickets

with that stable front braking thing turned on. Right before apex I felt more understeer. But it was weird. It was a big shock of understeer and it instantly went away

the sensation was very different from what I felt yesterday though.
That doesn't sound like it's predictable enough to make me comfortable.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
That doesn't sound like it's predictable enough to make me comfortable.
I’m sure it’s a good thing to have while you’re daily driving. But I wouldn’t want to track with it. Sometimes it straight up feels wheel hop-ish.

i think it might save your butt if you turn in and drive through standing water with crappy tires.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Is there a way to make this line on the rotors go away? Around 1100 miles on new rotors and pads and this showed up this week. View attachment 209026
You can try and resurface. A lot of places typically won’t want to resurface a rotor that’s drilled and slotted though. Or just wait it out. You’ll eventually get deeper into the material as it chomps its way through

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I had a question confirming the meaning of GTI, but before I could ask it, I happened upon an episode of TV's Chasing Classic Cars where a 1962 Maserati 3500 GTI Supperleggera Coupe was featured. They said that GTI stands for Grand Touring Injection, which is what I would have guessed. Neat that the MKI GTI was fuel injected, quite the advanced automotive engine technology back then. (y)

Elwood

3-7-77
I had a question confirming the meaning of GTI, but before I could ask it, I happened upon an episode of TV's Chasing Classic Cars where a 1962 Maserati 3500 GTI Supperleggera Coupe was featured. They said that GTI stands for Grand Touring Injection, which is what I would have guessed. Neat that the MKI GTI was fuel injected, quite the advanced automotive engine technology back then. (y)
Well, yeah, sort of. The earliest car I can think of with fuel injection is a 1957 Corvette "fuelie". I'm sure there there were others - probably earlier. But, to your point, fuel injection on a mass-produced car for the masses is an accomplishment.