GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
You could also opt for 17" rims with 235/45/17 tires for an even better ride.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If I wanted to eliminate the high-flow cat smell from my exhaust, would it be better to:
-Buy a $400 GESI cat and replace the cheap 200 cell that sits at the end of the dp
or
-Buy a $500 ARM dp with the cat in the factory spot right after the turbo

I guess another way of asking this question- I know the GESI cat would be better quality than what's in the ARM but how much difference does the placement really make?
Just picked up the ARM catted DP with the 200 cell high flow. Hopefully should be installing this weekend.

Smell was a concern for me, but looking at DPs.. almost all from 500-800ish bucks come with 200 Cell. HPA has a 300 cell, but when I was looking around it was on backorder everywhere. MAP has a GESI catted or Catted and Ressed for 800. I think they were the only OTS with a GESI I saw when searching around. I'll update once I get the ARM in and put a 100 miles or so on to burn off any manufacturing oils how the smell is on cold start and at a stop.

Honestly if it does end up being an issue, I'll probably look into a local shop swapping the CAT for a 300/400 cell GESI.

The ARM has the cat butted up against the turbo, unlike the CTS turbo 3.5" pipe. The O2 bung is also Post cat rather than Pre-cat which is nice on the ARM:
1614985191378.png

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Just picked up the ARM catted DP with the 200 cell high flow. Hopefully should be installing this weekend.

Smell was a concern for me, but looking at DPs.. almost all from 500-800ish bucks come with 200 Cell. HPA has a 300 cell, but when I was looking around it was on backorder everywhere. MAP has a GESI catted or Catted and Ressed for 800. I think they were the only OTS with a GESI I saw when searching around. I'll update once I get the ARM in and put a 100 miles or so on to burn off any manufacturing oils how the smell is on cold start and at a stop.

Honestly if it does end up being an issue, I'll probably look into a local shop swapping the CAT for a 300/400 cell GESI.

The ARM has the cat butted up against the turbo, unlike the CTS turbo 3.5" pipe. The O2 bung is also Post cat rather than Pre-cat which is nice on the ARM:View attachment 205383
I'd imagine you'd still need a spacer with the ARM dp to avoid CEL, but if I'm wrong I'd love to know. If you don't then that's a very good sign the CAT is kickin ass in that spot. I've also been looking at the ARM fmic kit

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI

The ARM has the cat butted up against the turbo, unlike the CTS turbo 3.5" pipe. The O2 bung is also Post cat rather than Pre-cat which is nice on the ARM:View attachment 205383
Let us know how that turns out, can't say I have seen many people with this DP but I am super interested.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I'd imagine you'd still need a spacer with the ARM dp to avoid CEL, but if I'm wrong I'd love to know. If you don't then that's a very good sign the CAT is kickin ass in that spot. I've also been looking at the ARM fmic kit
Let us know how that turns out, can't say I have seen many people with this DP but I am super interested.
I'll update. Should hopefully go on this weekend. Still stage 1, so I'll see if it pops a CEL for the o2. If it does i'll probably look at a Vibrant medium straight spacer, though I think those were discontinued? Might have to do some some looking around.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

That was fast! Didn’t u buy that on Monday?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
That was fast! Didn’t u buy that on Monday?
Yup, Ordered the DP and FMIC along with a t-shirt direct from ARM on Monday. Showed up yesterday via UPS. DP box had a corner that was kinda smashed, like it had been dropped - But the DP and other parts were fine with no scratches or dents.

FMIC came packed really well too, a few spots that look like damage, but are not, on the fins - It's just some of the back paint/enamel either didn't adhere or fell off between the fins so cosmetic and not functional. Can still see light through the other side of the core. So I'm not going to worry about it, can't really tell unless you stare at it up close anyhow.

Only thing that was back ordered was the T-shirt.. Should be here around the 14th :ROFLMAO: So -10 HP for me until then.:LOL:

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yup, Ordered the DP and FMIC along with a t-shirt direct from ARM on Monday. Showed up yesterday via UPS. DP box had a corner that was kinda smashed, like it had been dropped - But the DP and other parts were fine with no scratches or dents.

FMIC came packed really well too, a few spots that look like damage but are not on the fins - It's just some of the back paint/enamel either didn't adhere or fell off between the fins so cosmetic and not functional.

Only thing that was back ordered was the T-shirt.. Should be here around the 14th :ROFLMAO: So -10 HP for me until then.:LOL:
Gotcha. Good info

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Anyone interested in a DP should take a look at the Trackslag 4 " DP. The turbo spools earlier and the throttle response is improved a lot. The catted version is expensive. I got the no cat one delivered for $600. Also look at the flex section which is the same as the OEM DP so it doesn't turn the DP into a motor mount. Too many of the other DP 's have a very small flex section which will result in the DP having too much stress on it.

https://www.trackslag.com/index.php?id_product=45&controller=product

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Anyone interested in a DP should take a look at the Trackslag 4 " DP. The turbo spools earlier and the throttle response is improved a lot. The catted version is expensive. I got the no cat one delivered for $600. Also look at the flex section which is the same as the OEM DP so it doesn't turn the DP into a motor mount. Too many of the other DP 's have a very small flex section which will result in the DP having too much stress on it.

wow thats a solid price

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

DP looks amazing..but at 1.2k for the catted version I don't know if an extra inch of pipe diameter is going to help with an IS20 build.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
DP looks amazing..but at 1.2k for the catted version I don't know if an extra inch of pipe diameter is going to help with an IS20 build.
Where it would help an IS20 the most is at the top end where the IS20 needs it the most.
That flex section is very important also.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
i agree, though i think jim is running the vortex swap?
No I'm running the TPC20 turbo. It spools a little later and the Trackslag made it spool almost 500 RPM sooner. The TPC20 already has a tremendous top end.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Where it would help an IS20 the most is at the top end where the IS20 needs it the most.
That flex section is very important also.
Good info. Still think it's price is outside my build specs for what I need. If I could run catless.. then maybe I'd consider it on the short list. Looking at a dog hauler/daily highway warrior and not a track beast out of the wagon.