GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

Anybody have thoughts on the costs of the 10, 20, 30 and 40k required services at the dealer. I agree that it is far easier/cheaper to either do it yourself (oil changes certainly) or find an indy shop, but it is helpful for comparison.

Edit: Whoopsie - 2019 Alltrack 6 speed DSG so the DSG and Haldex service should be in there once.
Recap:

Cost of:
10k service at dealer = $
20k service at dealer = $
30k service at dealer = $
40k service at dealer = $

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Anybody have thoughts on the costs of the 10, 20, 30 and 40k required services at the dealer. I agree that it is far easier/cheaper to either do it yourself (oil changes certainly) or find an indy shop, but it is helpful for comparison.

Recap:

Cost of:
What car exactly? GTI's w/ the PP require additional maintenance, so does DSG, etc

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

Edit: Whoopsie - 2019 Alltrack 6 speed DSG so the DSG and Haldex service should be in there once.
Recap:

Cost of:
i think 10k and 20k are super cheap.

10k = oil change, tire rotation and ac filter
20k = same as 10k plus engine air filter
30k = same as 10k plus dsg fluid swap and brake fluid swap

i just don't know the pricing. some dealers are more affordable then others

RuffledJersey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 S DSG
i think 10k and 20k are super cheap.

10k = oil change, tire rotation and ac filter
20k = same as 10k plus engine air filter
30k = same as 10k plus dsg fluid swap and brake fluid swap

i just don't know the pricing. some dealers are more affordable then others

Of course, with the dealer, you have to make sure they stick to the required services.

I looked at one of my local dealers to see if they had pricing online (of course they didn’t) but you had a choice of three different levels of service for each interval:
  1. VW Recommended Service
  2. Dealer Recommended Service
  3. Dealer Premium Service

cb1111

Of course, with the dealer, you have to make sure they stick to the required services.

I looked at one of my local dealers to see if they had pricing online (of course they didn’t) but you had a choice of three different levels of service for each interval:
  1. VW Recommended Service
  2. Dealer Recommended Service Recommended Service plus wallet vacuum
  3. Dealer Premium Service Dealer needs to make a boat payment
Fixed it for you.

Yes, all dealer recommended and premium services are useless and potentially harmful. Avoid them at all costs.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Fixed it for you.

Yes, all dealer recommended and premium services are useless and potentially harmful. Avoid them at all costs.
I’ll concede that many are evil. But there’s a few stand up ones. So far I’ve only interacted with 1 good honest vw dealer service center. But statistically I’d say there’s a few more good ones out there.

cb1111

I’ll concede that many are evil. But there’s a few stand up ones. So far I’ve only interacted with 1 good honest vw dealer service center. But statistically I’d say there’s a few more good ones out there.
Agreed. We have a very good Honda dealer that doesn't try to upsell us anymore. My comment was directed more towards the add-on dealer services that are useless.

Dealers don't make a lot of money on the required services, but they make lots of money on the add-ons that are 90% profit.

You also need to be careful as to what you ask for. Here's an example.

Honda/Acura breaks down their services by A/B and 1, 2, 3 etc. For example, an A1 service is an oil change, basic inspection ( and tire rotation.

If you go to my local Acura dealer, an A1 service is $129. If you ask for an oil change it is $59 and a rotation is $20 - so $79. The oil change includes a "free" multipoint inspection.

I asked the dealer "what's the difference" and he said "nothing. We found it too hard to keep track of oil changes/rotations vs A1 services, so we just do the same thing for either"

gti_up

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I know this has been asked a million times...

I'm looking into Neuspeed RSe11Rs, 18x8.5. Trying to decide between 235/40/18 and 245/40/18 tires. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm leaning towards 245.

I'm going with PS4S tires for what it's worth.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
I had a small oil leak. I'm going to be replacing the gasket (dropping the oil pan). Can I reuse the oil pan bolts?

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I know this has been asked a million times...

I'm looking into Neuspeed RSe11Rs, 18x8.5. Trying to decide between 235/40/18 and 245/40/18 tires. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm leaning towards 245.

I'm going with PS4S tires for what it's worth.
If you are lowered or going to lower, the 235s are the safe choice. 245s may rub in certain situations, if your car is lowered.
No plans to lower, then definitely go for the 245s. The taller sidewalls will fill up more of the wheel gap and give a slightly better ride, as well as look fatter on the wheels.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
If I wanted to eliminate the high-flow cat smell from my exhaust, would it be better to:
-Buy a $400 GESI cat and replace the cheap 200 cell that sits at the end of the dp
or
-Buy a $500 ARM dp with the cat in the factory spot right after the turbo

I guess another way of asking this question- I know the GESI cat would be better quality than what's in the ARM but how much difference does the placement really make?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
If I wanted to eliminate the high-flow cat smell from my exhaust, would it be better to:
-Buy a $400 GESI cat and replace the cheap 200 cell that sits at the end of the dp
or
-Buy a $500 ARM dp with the cat in the factory spot right after the turbo

I guess another way of asking this question- I know the GESI cat would be better quality than what's in the ARM but how much difference does the placement really make?
Placement mostly helps with catalyst light off; basically how fast it warms up and starts working. Having it in the factory location means it will heat up faster and stop smelling bad sooner. Once everything is already up to temp, it doesn't make much difference. Having the cat further down can protect it from excessive heat, but I haven't heard of that being a problem on this platform.

gti_up

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
If you are lowered or going to lower, the 235s are the safe choice. 245s may rub in certain situations, if your car is lowered.
No plans to lower, then definitely go for the 245s. The taller sidewalls will fill up more of the wheel gap and give a slightly better ride, as well as look fatter on the wheels.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear, you're the man.

No plans on lowering though. The roads around here are horrendous.