GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I initially reused the stock end links and brackets/bolts with my Eibach RSB.

For whatever reason, the stock end links wouldn't stay torqued (I eventually replaced them with Moog end links and haven't had any subsequent issues), but the OE brackets and bolts have been fine. I have no idea why the stock links gave me trouble; I tightened everything down with all 4 wheels on ramps in both cases.

I'm replacing the end links when I do the bar just as a precaution. Figured that would be cheap insurance against unwanted side effects after the fact

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
When replacing rear sway bar, you ARE supposed to change the hardware! The hardware involved is all stretch bolts, and considered one time use. It is all in the shop manual.
I know some people will say that they never had a problem when re-using the hardware. But I'm the type of person that wants things done as close to the factory as possible, so when I replace mine (when the weather gets better), I'm using all new hardware. For the $5 or $10 that all the hardware costs, I can't imagine it being worth it to skimp.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Then, you always have to ask "why was a car with under 5k miles traded in?
Meh...you can't always read too much into that.
I'm on my 5th new car now in just the past 2.5 years with a prior past of trading in cars early too. First one had 1,200 miles on it & only had it for 4 months. Second one had 1,800 miles on it & only had it 6 months....3rd one had 5,300 miles on it & had it for 14 months....4th one had 900 miles and only had it 2 months when I traded them in.

Just traded up/got bored....nothing wrong with them.

I also don't drive far, so that's why they had low mileage too. And with the pandemic a year ago, LOTS of people weren't driving or going anywhere really so mileage/use may have decreased.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Any one know where to find the proper pinouts on the door controllers for the floor lights?
I've got the lights that replace the reflector housing for my doors. Looking in VCDS the lights can be coded on, I just don't know where the pins on the lights are supposed to go in.
Looking it up every one just seems to tap the lights into the door accent lights instead of properly pinning it.

cb1111

Anybody here who can get some service information on a specific VIN? I'm looking at a car, first registered in El Paso in March 2020, has less that 7k miles, looks great and is sitting on a regular used car lot in Ohio.

The car lot has a decent reputation and they say they got the off lease from VW. Autocheck (the Experian competitor to CARFAX.

It is several hours away from me so I can't just pop by and look at it.

I'd like to verify that there isn't anything weird in the service records. Autocheck shows only the registration information - no service info at all. Since it isn't at a vW dealer, they can't pull up anything either.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Is it ok to reuse the stock bolts from my OEM RSB and end links when I swap them out....and I need to read better. This was already asked just a few days ago...doh!

Last edited:

cb1111

19” wheels on stock suspension gti

I assume the gap would stay the same?
Assuming you use the proper size tire, yes. Otherwise....

1613622114377.png

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Has anyone here used US Wheel Adapters before?

They make custom spacers, among other things. To run the wheels I bought I need a 57.1 to 66.56 hub ring and then a 5 or 6mm spacer to be "flush" in the front. Stacking those on the front makes me nervous so I was going to have US Wheel make a hubcentric spacer for me. A pair would be $160ish but the peace of mind invaluable. Just wanted to see if anyone has tried them out and if they are legit.

I have 10mm spacers with a lip that I can move to the back. I feel better about running a hub ring on that spacer since it'll have full contact with the lip on the spacer (front 5mm spacer would be flat / no lip, hence looking at the custom option)