GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Stupid question

when one goes and installs a front mount intercooler. Does the old one just stay installed? Or do y’all remove it?

it hit me just now LOL

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Stupid question

when one goes and installs a front mount intercooler. Does the old one just stay installed? Or do y’all remove it?

it hit me just now LOL
It's up to you.
You can be lazy & leave it (and cap the ends), or they sell the intercooler delete plates so you can remove it & keep everything aligned still.
But it being there still just blocks air flow & is dead weight, essentially.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It's up to you.
You can be lazy & leave it (and cap the ends), or they sell the intercooler delete plates so you can remove it & keep everything aligned still.
But it being there still just blocks air flow & is dead weight, essentially.
Makes sense. Thanks.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Stupid question

it hit me just now LOL
The question is why would you want to when the highest flowing IC 's are in the stock location.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I dunno. Just asking what folks with fmic to with the stock one
I think the real best answer is that if you're going to go through the trouble of removing the stock one, you should do a stock location replacement. The best reason to do a front mount is the ease of install, which is mostly predicated on not dropping the crash bar and radiator. So yeah, leave the stock in place.

cb1111

Another stupid question - a 2019 GTI Autobahn for ~$26k or a new 2021 Autobahn for ~$34k? The 2019 has under 5k miles. With the longer warranty 6/72, the 2019 has about 4 years and 67k miles warranty left while the 21 will have 4/50 warranty.

IIRC, the only difference is the USB-A port on the 19 vs the USB-C on the 21.

Any thoughts?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Another stupid question - a 2019 GTI Autobahn for ~$26k or a new 2021 Autobahn for ~$34k? The 2019 has under 5k miles. With the longer warranty 6/72, the 2019 has about 4 years and 67k miles warranty left while the 21 will have 4/50 warranty.

Any thoughts?
The 19 for the longer warranty unless you're going to mod it.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

Any thoughts?

Do you know the conditions the 2019 was kept in? What month of what year it sold (is it an early build date 19, or a late build date?). The 2019 has more miles on warranty but same time. If you don’t drive enough to push the envelope on that 12.5K miles, the 2021 may be a better choice just to start fresh with something that’s entirely yours, you can seal the paint when it’s new etc etc. I’m glad I went brand new with my Alltrack last April, though that was only 25.5

cb1111

Do you know the conditions the 2019 was kept in? What month of what year it sold (is it an early build date 19, or a late build date?). The 2019 has more miles on warranty but same time. If you don’t drive enough to push the envelope on that 12.5K miles, the 2021 may be a better choice just to start fresh with something that’s entirely yours, you can seal the paint when it’s new etc etc. I’m glad I went brand new with my Alltrack last April, though that was only 25.5
That's what I was thinking too. I don't have an in-service date but suspect it was early 2019. The color was a delayed availability of late 2018, so delivery couldn't have been before February of 2019 or so. Then, you always have to ask "why was a car with under 5k miles traded in? I've asked for a CARFAX just for grins - but we know what that is worth.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
That's what I was thinking too. I don't have an in-service date but suspect it was early 2019. The color was a delayed availability of late 2018, so delivery couldn't have been before February of 2019 or so. Then, you always have to ask "why was a car with under 5k miles traded in? I've asked for a CARFAX just for grins - but we know what that is worth.

you never know. Definitely worth seeing.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Do I need new hardware when I do my RSB and endlinks? Trying to swap them out next weekend, just need to know if I can reuse the bolts / screws.
When my RSB was installed the stock end links and hardware were reused. 90,000 miles since then and all is well.

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
I initially reused the stock end links and brackets/bolts with my Eibach RSB.

For whatever reason, the stock end links wouldn't stay torqued (I eventually replaced them with Moog end links and haven't had any subsequent issues), but the OE brackets and bolts have been fine. I have no idea why the stock links gave me trouble; I tightened everything down with all 4 wheels on ramps in both cases.