GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

Why can’t one use the 502 5w40 in the newer gti’s? I doubt clearances changed any. It doesn’t make sense
Warranty for one. 508 has a dye so VW can tell if it has been used. There is a huge thread around here somewhere on the 2019 stalling issue that also , peripherally, discusses viscosities. It was started by dietcokefiend.

In short, while tolerances may not have changed, the coding has and was optimized for the thinner oil. I'm not sure anybody knows what the long term effects of using the wrong oil may be.

But why not just run what the engineers suggest - and it isn't just emissions or fuel economy.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Warranty for one. 508 has a dye so VW can tell if it has been used. There is a huge thread around here somewhere on the 2019 stalling issue that also , peripherally, discusses viscosities. It was started by dietcokefiend.

In short, while tolerances may not have changed, the coding has and was optimized for the thinner oil. I'm not sure anybody knows what the long term effects of using the wrong oil may be.

But why not just run what the engineers suggest - and it isn't just emissions or fuel economy.
yup.

The whole viscosity thing -with connection to stalling was a theory that’s was consistently debunked.

And I’m in agreement just run what’s specs... I ran motul sport in my 2019 for one cycle and otherwise have been running the spec 508 in my highly modified car and sent in Samples of the 508 and reports came back with zero flags and the typical Blackstone “you should think about extending your oil change intervals” lol

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

Good points thanks. I’ll be running the 5w40 at the track anyways

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
idk but I THINK the 7.5 is 508 spec. it's more for MPG and wtty

it’s not a 7/7.5 delineation, it’s down to the individual model years that VAG decided to switch over. P sure the ‘19 GTI/R’s are 508, while the 18’s (also 7.5) are 502. My ‘19 7.5 Alltrack w/ 1.8T is still 502. That was a big relief for me knowing I’d be pushing ~300WHP

cb1111

it’s not a 7/7.5 delineation, it’s down to the individual model years that VAG decided to switch over. P sure the ‘19 GTI/R’s are 508, while the 18’s (also 7.5) are 502. My ‘19 7.5 Alltrack w/ 1.8T is still 502. That was a big relief for me knowing I’d be pushing ~300WHP
Correct. The 1.8 is one of the few VW engines that didn't change to 508 in 2019. The 1.4 and 2.0 engines changed over to 508.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Maybe I wrote it wrong, In any case, if you look at the link I posted, you'll see that it says that it is for plastic and trim and they have other stuff for leather that isn't called ICE.

Use that Leatherique stuff and you may change your mind about ICE.
All done. My brother in laws shop is at a constant 68-70f. Since the car is new and barely has 3k miles. The steering wheel cleanup wasn’t severe. Wheel looks new And feels a bit softer too. I wiped fairly quickly. And reapplied several times. I wanted to avoid sheen or shine. Soon as the wheel was done, threw on some new nitrile (spelling?) gloves and went home.

thanks again for the help.

cb1111

All done. My brother in laws shop is at a constant 68-70f. Since the car is new and barely has 3k miles. The steering wheel cleanup wasn’t severe. Wheel looks new And feels a bit softer too. I wiped fairly quickly. And reapplied several times. I wanted to avoid sheen or shine. Soon as the wheel was done, threw on some new nitrile (spelling?) gloves and went home.

thanks again for the help.
Yeah, leatherique is great stuff. Do your seats and wheel every half year and the leather will continue to look new and have that slightly matte finish.

Glad it worked.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yeah, leatherique is great stuff. Do your seats and wheel every half year and the leather will continue to look new and have that slightly matte finish.

Glad it worked.
Will do. I used a small brush on the wheel but after the wiping the microfiber was still (almost) clean. The most soil seems to have come from the 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock positions.

I’ll probably do it yearly. I drive like 5k miles a year LOL