GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

Dumb ass question before I break something

I'm changing the mirrors to the Euro mirrors, both are heated with blind spot.

IIRC from my MkV days, you just:

• Point the mirrors as far outwards as possible
  • Put your fingers in the side closest to the door as far as you can and pull away from the mirror caps.
  • Remove wires
  • Reinstall wires on new mirror
  • Line up the circle on the back of the mirror with the circle in the housing and press from the center

Did I miss anything? Anything to make it easier?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Dumb ass question before I break something

I'm changing the mirrors to the Euro mirrors, both are heated with blind spot.

IIRC from my MkV days, you just:

• Point the mirrors as far outwards as possible
  • Put your fingers in the side closest to the door as far as you can and pull away from the mirror caps.
  • Remove wires
  • Reinstall wires on new mirror
  • Line up the circle on the back of the mirror with the circle in the housing and press from the center

Did I miss anything? Anything to make it easier?
You pretty much nailed it. Fingers as close to the middle of the mirror as you can so you don't crack it. Video just in case you want reference material:

cb1111

You pretty much nailed it. Fingers as close to the middle of the mirror as you can so you don't crack it. Video just in case you want reference material:
See, I did get it wrong. I remembered pointing the mirrors outward, but here they point them inwards.

I assume the Driver Assistance mirrors will have 4 wires - two for the heat and two for the blind spot.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So what spec is the 5w40 then?
I thought the 502 spec was available in different weights. Maybe I'm wrong. Actually I use the weight I think is best for Phoenix. 10w30 in the winter and 10w40 in the summer. And I buy oil from a company called Cerma and I don't even know if it is 502 spec. Must be okay though since I've got 117K miles on my 18 SE.