GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

I'm thinking about getting an US Mill Works license plate bracket, but my car has PDC. From what I've seen a you can adjust the position of the bracket so it doesn't interfere with the sensors. On their website it doesn't seem like they have one for cars with PDC. I know there are a lot of other brands out there but US Mill Works is pretty well known and the quick release is nice too. Anyone with PDC have experience with them before?
There are a handful for sale in the "exterior parts for sale" section. Perhaps one of them came off a car with PDC

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
I'm thinking about getting an US Mill Works license plate bracket, but my car has PDC. From what I've seen a you can adjust the position of the bracket so it doesn't interfere with the sensors. On their website it doesn't seem like they have one for cars with PDC. I know there are a lot of other brands out there but US Mill Works is pretty well known and the quick release is nice too. Anyone with PDC have experience with them before?
I don't have PDC on mine. But if you find an answer to your question, I have one for sale that was not used for long. Standard w/ quick release if that is what you are looking for.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Catted downpipe for mk7.5 that won’t smell like fuel? Are they even a thing? All the options seem to have 200cel cats only

also, does the position of the cat matters? I’d like to avoid a cel, so should I get one with the cat closer to the turbo or should I get one with the cat further from the turbo?

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Catted downpipe for mk7.5 that won’t smell like fuel? Are they even a thing? All the options seem to have 200cel cats only

also, does the position of the cat matters? I’d like to avoid a cel, so should I get one with the cat closer to the turbo or should I get one with the cat further from the turbo?

Exhaust is hotter closer to the engine. Cats need to get to a certain temperature to work, which is why your exhaust smells more on cold starts. Manufacturers used to put the cat under the car. Now they are bolted right to the manifold, to get them hotter faster. So it will start working faster and earn a smiley face from the EPA.

Once the exhaust gets to temperature, the position of the cat will make less of a difference, but still cause a CEL because it doesn't clean like the factory catalyst. Most people with downpipes run an O2 spacer, which tricks the sensor and prevents a CEL. The J-shaped spacer works on my APR downpipe (which has the cat under the car) to prevent the CEL.

The APR cat has a very slight smell once warmed up, but if you want a cat with no smell at all, keep the stock one.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Anyone else getting an expired certificate message on mobile?
Yup. Certificate expired 2nd January 2021.

1609602991306.png

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Exhaust is hotter closer to the engine. Cats need to get to a certain temperature to work, which is why your exhaust smells more on cold starts. Manufacturers used to put the cat under the car. Now they are bolted right to the manifold, to get them hotter faster. So it will start working faster and earn a smiley face from the EPA.

Once the exhaust gets to temperature, the position of the cat will make less of a difference, but still cause a CEL because it doesn't clean like the factory catalyst. Most people with downpipes run an O2 spacer, which tricks the sensor and prevents a CEL. The J-shaped spacer works on my APR downpipe (which has the cat under the car) to prevent the CEL.

The APR cat has a very slight smell once warmed up, but if you want a cat with no smell at all, keep the stock one.
Good advice. Thanks!