GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Here's a random one...what's the earliest build date for a 2017 that anyone has seen?

cb1111

I think I asked this question before - but is there anyone in the DC 'burbs in NoVA, or Maryland with a VCDS or OBD11? I'm getting my Alltrack sometime next month and want to do some minor mods (lane keeping tweak, full tails, hot weather - that sort of thing - can one bypass the nav entry when moving?) I had a VCDS back in 2006/08 when I had my GTI and R32, so I'm sure I'm awfully rusty and would rather have somebody who knows what they are doing look over my shoulder (from 6ft away of course) initially - or they do it and I watch them.

There used to be a spreadsheet with VCDS owners, but that doesn't seem to exist anymore and the listing of helpful owners is awfully sparse up here.

Once I get back in the swing of things, I'll be happy to help out others. I'm waffling between VCDS (that I know) and the OBD11 (I hate that credit system but it is far cheaper). VCDS now has its own issues - the VIN limitation if you're going to help others, but it does do more.

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
Once I get back in the swing of things, I'll be happy to help out others. I'm waffling between VCDS (that I know) and the OBD11 (I hate that credit system but it is far cheaper). VCDS now has its own issues - the VIN limitation if you're going to help others, but it does do more.

I'm afraid I'm too far away to help you out, but as far as the credits/apps on OBDeleven, don't let that be a detriment unless it's on principle. I haven't used a single credit in my three years using it - I just go straight to the adaptations or long coding. VCDS may be better, but for the limited amount I use it, OBDeleven makes way more sense for me.

cb1111

I'm afraid I'm too far away to help you out, but as far as the credits/apps on OBDeleven, don't let that be a detriment unless it's on principle. I haven't used a single credit in my three years using it - I just go straight to the adaptations or long coding. VCDS may be better, but for the limited amount I use it, OBDeleven makes way more sense for me.
Yes, the principle bothers me on OBD11, as does the requirement for an internet connection - can one use the hotspot from the phone you're using for the OBD11?

Having the device with you all the time is tempting, but so is the logging of changes with VCDS.

Anybody have any thoughts on the new OBD11 version. I'll be using android in any case so the iPhone capability is immaterial for me.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Yes, the principle bothers me on OBD11, as does the requirement for an internet connection - can one use the hotspot from the phone you're using for the OBD11?

Having the device with you all the time is tempting, but so is the logging of changes with VCDS.

Anybody have any thoughts on the new OBD11 version. I'll be using android in any case so the iPhone capability is immaterial for me.
Can confirm using hotspot is compatible. I use an android with no sim card and hot spot.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion

have used hotspot before it works, i am not pro with OBD11 but have done a few different tweaks. for me it was researching here and other spots for the codes, then just input of said codes. it seems it works better on android phone then my new android tablet which was a pita but oh well. :/ Maybe try to google sheet for people in each state and see if anyone around you has anything like that listed and reach out to them personally. I would try to help but im like 7 hrs away

stm25rs

How long does it take to put on the OEM roof rack?

Looking at getting one plus a cargo box for vacations. Figure I'll use the rack/box once a month or so, and will likely just remove the roof rack each time...unless it's a PITA, in which case I'd leave the rack on, and get a fairing.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
How long does it take to put on the OEM roof rack?

Looking at getting one plus a cargo box for vacations. Figure I'll use the rack/box once a month or so, and will likely just remove the roof rack each time...unless it's a PITA, in which case I'd leave the rack on, and get a fairing.
10 min max...that's why I keep mine in the shed....too easy to take on/off. VW nailed it with the front holes to secure it too...makes for easy alignment.

cb1111

Can confirm using hotspot is compatible. I use an android with no sim card and hot spot.
I'm confused. If the phone has no SIM card, then how can it create a hotspot?

Is it popular consensus that OBD11 is the way to go now - with the next gen still cheaper (but not by far) over VCDS, OBD11 no longer has a much greater price advantage?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I'm confused. If the phone has no SIM card, then how can it create a hotspot?

Is it popular consensus that OBD11 is the way to go now - with the next gen still cheaper (but not by far) over VCDS, OBD11 no longer has a much greater price advantage?
No sim card in my android phone, so I hotspot off of my iphone.

Leo ATX

Car(s)
'21 Mk7.5 GTI
I'm thinking about getting an US Mill Works license plate bracket, but my car has PDC. From what I've seen a you can adjust the position of the bracket so it doesn't interfere with the sensors. On their website it doesn't seem like they have one for cars with PDC. I know there are a lot of other brands out there but US Mill Works is pretty well known and the quick release is nice too. Anyone with PDC have experience with them before?