GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
If I could make what I make now doing that I would too. Also good Mad Max skill to have.
My wife said she would work with me and give me two years to make it work lol

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
My wife said she would work with me and give me two years to make it work lol
I think if you went for master mechanic you could make good money. Average regular mechanic salary isn’t much more than a well paid cook.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I think if you went for master mechanic you could make good money. Average regular mechanic salary isn’t much more than a well paid cook.
Daaaaang that sucks

Every “school” these days is flexible with people with “normal” lives (9-5, yada yada)
Good point.... Night School lol

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
Daaaaang that sucks

Good point.... Night School lol

Even if you went to school it could take you a while to get up the pay scale. You may find an engine builder class, but that doesn't cover much depending on where you would want to work.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I was surprised that the salaries were as low as they are. I work in the tech industry and part of my workload includes making apps to help bolster the appeal of the auto industry to encourage STEM path students to take interest in auto mechanics. Apparently there’s a higher demand than supply for mechanics. Now I know why. That said, the work we do is for diesel mechanic oriented students.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Get an SAE and start a mobile service business. That would probably be the way to go.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Even if you went to school it could take you a while to get up the pay scale. You may find an engine builder class, but that doesn't cover much depending on where you would want to work.
Yeah I literally want engine knowledge at this point.... if I really went down this road I’d want it all

I was surprised that the salaries were as low as they are. I work in the tech industry and part of my workload includes making apps to help bolster the appeal of the auto industry to encourage STEM path students to take interest in auto mechanics. Apparently there’s a higher demand than supply for mechanics. Now I know why. That said, the work we do is for diesel mechanic oriented students.
That sounds downright cool

Get an SAE and start a mobile service business. That would probably be the way to go.
Thought about this actually

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Me and my buddy have considered doing it as a side gig also. He’s definitely the better mechanic between us and an SAE would be cakewalk for him. If you did an average of 10 oil changes a day that would amount to well over 100K a year. Of course you could make much more with complex tasks thrown in.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
ASE are not requirements for most OEM's, they have their own internal certification standards. You absolutely can make a lot of money on the side if you have the clientele.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
From the small research I’ve done working for a company and not yourself is out of the equation.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
From the small research I’ve done working for a company and not yourself is out of the equation.

There are usually few in the top earnings, this would be dependent upon location and work culture also. Usually nothing amazing about the benefits either.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I know a guy who is a master mechanic and works for a dealer and he makes over 100K per year.

cb1111

I think I asked this already, but never got an on-topic answer. Will a 18/20 oz KleanKanteen or Hydroflask fit into the Golf/GTI/Alltrack cup holders?