GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
What’s a safe knock limit for the EA888 gen 3?

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
From the engine bay?
Yeah. It sounds like a grinding noise when the clutch is engaging under 1k rpms. Happens when I don't give enough gas or like if the light turned green and I wasn't paying attention I would release the clutch badly. I wonder if that's normal

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Hey guys... Southbend Stage 2 Daily clutch came in. It doesn't have any instructions in the box whatsoever, aside from don't install it backwards... does anyone know if the torque values for the install are different from the stock setup?

Also, for anyone who has handled a Southbend clutch, did you notice the pressure plate was a little tough to align on the riser pins from the flywheel? I had to do a little work to get it off and on, was worried it may be bent somewhere.

Attachments

• ktsif-hd-o-5.jpg
    ktsif-hd-o-5.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Ugh, I was hoping Colorado would be nicer about that. I want to go IS38 on the wagon but not if there's going to be visual inspection. I was hoping to leave that behind in California.

The DP is pretty well hidden behind the turbo and engine, so maybe you could get away with it? Either way I believe an R DP wouldn't line up with the rest of your exhaust.

I have read that it in fact won’t line up? Plus all is38 tunes mess with emissions sensors due to their assumptions that your running an aftermarket downpipe

I’m so confused now LOL.

APR’s new IS20/IS38 tunes work with stock downpipes

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Wouldn't an IS38 require a new DP (or at least an R DP in the case of an AWD wagon)?

Good question. I just checked their site, and I see they have separate drop downs for “Stage 3 IS20” and “Stage 3 IS20DP,” meaning the former is for stock down pipe cars with an IS20, and the latter with aftermarket DP. There is no IS38 non-DP file, so yes you would need an aftermarket one. The OEM R DP won’t even suffice.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Good question. I just checked their site, and I see they have separate drop downs for “Stage 3 IS20” and “Stage 3 IS20DP,” meaning the former is for stock down pipe cars with an IS20, and the latter with aftermarket DP. There is no IS38 non-DP file, so yes you would need an aftermarket one. The OEM R DP won’t even suffice.

Dang, I was hoping to get an IS38 + R DP for the wagon.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Dang, I was hoping to get an IS38 + R DP for the wagon.

If you have AWD, the R downpipe should fit and you could get a custom tune done.

^^^

That is correct. You could go R DP and get a conservative pro tune from Ed. Especially factoring in the DA in Colorado, combining that with the R DP on a 1.8 you’d want a pretty mild tune. More like a 280 HP tune than 300+

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
^^^

That is correct. You could go R DP and get a conservative pro tune from Ed. Especially factoring in the DA in Colorado, combining that with the R DP on a 1.8 you’d want a pretty mild tune. More like a 280 HP tune than 300+
Curious why go IS38 at that point? IE stage 2 on 91 is 243 HP/344TQ @ Crank and 221/313 at the wheel - This is based off 155HP/195TQ Crank & 141/178 stock at the wheel on their dyno. You can flash back to stock with their dongle (UM and APR require dealer visits), so you just need to swap DP every few years for smog.

I'm currently stuck picking between UM, APR, and IE for my 1.8T tune. I'd love to go IS20 or 38, but California Smog seems to limit that. APR it seems you can go IS20 without a DP tune according to their website, or at least the Dyno charts as someone else pointed out. UM would be nice, but don't think will fit beyond Stage 1, shot Frank @ UM an email to get more info on their emissions. APR may work up to an IS20, and IE for $700 I can just send it Stage 1, and upgrade to 2 for 100 bucks more once I get an TMIC and DP upgrade.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Does anyone else get these random white water spots all over their engine bay? They’re even under the engine cover and inside areas they shouldn’t be. Belly pans are intact, seems excessive as I clean my engine bay fairly frequently.
F325AB51-7707-492D-AB96-5C158A54810B.jpeg

672593C4-D9B7-476D-8327-6C811C7C1257.jpeg