GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
There’s visual but with discrimination

for example. A Subaru, mustang, gti; there’s gonna be visual on top of visual

10,000whp Kia shows up; no visual. It’s a Kia.

Ugh, I was hoping Colorado would be nicer about that. I want to go IS38 on the wagon but not if there's going to be visual inspection. I was hoping to leave that behind in California.

The DP is pretty well hidden behind the turbo and engine, so maybe you could get away with it? Either way I believe an R DP wouldn't line up with the rest of your exhaust.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Ugh, I was hoping Colorado would be nicer about that. I want to go IS38 on the wagon but not if there's going to be visual inspection. I was hoping to leave that behind in California.

The DP is pretty well hidden behind the turbo and engine, so maybe you could get away with it? Either way I believe an R DP wouldn't line up with the rest of your exhaust.
I have read that it in fact won’t line up? Plus all is38 tunes mess with emissions sensors due to their assumptions that your running an aftermarket downpipe

I’m so confused now LOL.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I have read that it in fact won’t line up? Plus all is38 tunes mess with emissions sensors due to their assumptions that your running an aftermarket downpipe

I’m so confused now LOL.
My plan was to flash to stock, swap in stock DP, drive it easy, inspect, swap DP and reflash. Granted there isn't a whole lot of info on smog currently as most won't be due for a couple more years out here in CA.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
My plan was to flash to stock, swap in stock DP, drive it easy, inspect, swap DP and reflash. Granted there isn't a whole lot of info on smog currently as most won't be due for a couple more years out here in CA.
Getting emissions readiness, those drive cycles, they can take as much as a whole tank of gas to complete man.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Getting emissions readiness, those drive cycles, they can take as much as a whole tank of gas to complete man.
Wasn't aware it would take that long. Granted I'm not sure what they're looking for outside of failed readiness on the ODBII scan now that they don't use rollers out here in CA.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

I’m so confused now LOL.

If you're running a catted aftermarket downpipe there should be no reason to shut off your emissions sensors in the tune.

I have a tuned Miata with an aftermarket catless header (that I put the stock heat shield on so it looks stock). I just put the O2 sensor in the midpipe instead of the header, and the tune didn't mess with the emissions sensors, so it passes both visual and OBD check.

Usually it should take around 50-100 miles in my experience, but it can definitely take longer than that as well. Plus, I wouldn't want to be swapping a downpipe every two years.

Wasn't aware it would take that long. Granted I'm not sure what they're looking for outside of failed readiness on the ODBII scan now that they don't use rollers out here in CA.

CA just looks at OBD scan and visual.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
If you're running a catted aftermarket downpipe there should be no reason to shut off your emissions sensors in the tune.

I have a tuned Miata with an aftermarket catless header (that I put the stock heat shield on so it looks stock). I just put the O2 sensor in the midpipe instead of the header, and the tune didn't mess with the emissions sensors, so it passes both visual and OBD check.

Usually it should take around 50-100 miles in my experience, but it can definitely take longer than that as well. Plus, I wouldn't want to be swapping a downpipe every two years.

CA just looks at OBD scan and visual.
That’s my guess too but I’ve read that one of the sensors are indeed shut off.

keeping the stock heat shield on there is genius LOL.

god swapping a dp every two years would be upsetting for sure. I’m not down for that at all.

cb1111

Doesn't it really depend on where the car is registered in CO? The half year I was in C Springs I had a variety of rentals but I seem to recall no emissions testing there - but testing in Denver and environs. I also seem to recall an exception for any car less that seven years old.

Has that changed?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Doesn't it really depend on where the car is registered in CO? The half year I was in C Springs I had a variety of rentals but I seem to recall no emissions testing there - but testing in Denver and environs. I also seem to recall an exception for any car less that seven years old.

Has that changed?
You are correct. Smaller cities and the springs and a few other cities have kept emissions away. For now.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I’ve been getting a screeching noise when coming off a stop if I dont give enough rpm. What could that be? it doesnt sound good when I do it

Last edited:

cb1111

Anybody here from Albuquerque? I'm buying an Alltrack at University and would like to see if I could persuade somebody to swing by to take a quick look at the cosmetics.