GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
His pants were soaked from wading through the water to get to the car.

Definitely not the same as trying to drive through rushing water.

Big mistake-y.

Just hang out and leave the car on the high ground.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Did water just come in even with the doors closed? or you opened the door?

Right now my street is super bad (side walk submerged in water). The worse part is knee deep. Luckily my driveway is at an Incline.

No I was stuck at work during a bad storm and our lot flooded. When I got off the rain didn't seem to be letting up so I thought I better risk driving in it opposed to having the water level potentially rise above the door openings. The only water that got inside was from my soaked clothing. Funny thing is the rain stopped about 10-15 minutes after I left so I'm sure it would have been fine lol.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
After three days the water has gone down ALOT thank god. Last night I went in through some puddles and then this morning when I went to start my car I stalled. I leave my car in 1st gear over night and for some weird reason it was super hard to get out of first gear. I turned on the car in first gear clutch in and my car stalled. When I turned on the car it was like the clutch wasn’t pressed in which caused me to stall even tho I had it all the way in. I guess my shit got wet abit even tho I went slow through some minor street flooding smh.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Here is a stupid question for LOLs what years was the 1.8T available in the golf?

For the MK7/7.5 the last year was 2018. I drove Golfs with both engines and the 1.4 isn't bad, you really only notice the difference at highway speeds.

viperfan7

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GTI
Where is the vehicle speed sensor on the mk7 GTI, is it just using the ABS sensors, or is there a specific sensor for the speedo?

jcme0557

Passed Driver's Ed
Where is the vehicle speed sensor on the mk7 GTI, is it just using the ABS sensors, or is there a specific sensor for the speedo?
To my knowledge, all modern cars w/ABS use the wheel speed sensors to determine vehicle speed. That information is usually input into the ECM and output as a speed signal to your instrument cluster.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
To my knowledge, all modern cars w/ABS use the wheel speed sensors to determine vehicle speed. That information is usually input into the ECM and output as a speed signal to your instrument cluster *based on factory wheel + tire specs

ftfy

so if your wheels aren’t 18x7.5 with 225/40/18 tires, then your Speedo will be off. Even an 18x8 with a 225/40/18 will be off a little bit due to the sidewalls being pulled out a bit.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
I have replaced my air cabin filter. For some reason, I think the one I have been ordering is too big or for another car. It was scrunched when I pulled it out and the new one does the same thing. Do the 2018+ have a longer filter? Am I crazy? Bad air filter insertion technique, perhaps? Let me know. I have been searching the forums/Google and can’t find anything that sticks for this one. Thanks in advance... Feel free to tear me apart on this one 🤣

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I have replaced my air cabin filter. For some reason, I think the one I have been ordering is too big or for another car. It was scrunched when I pulled it out and the new one does the same thing. Do the 2018+ have a longer filter? Am I crazy? Bad air filter insertion technique, perhaps? Let me know. I have been searching the forums/Google and can’t find anything that sticks for this one. Thanks in advance... Feel free to tear me apart on this one 🤣
Im not here to comment on other dudes' insertion techniques

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Are you installing it sideways?

Mk7tsi3door

Go Kart Newbie
Speaking of lube my drivers window all of a sudden seems to bind up when halfway down, goes up and halfway down just fine but won’t go down all the way, should I lube up the track?what do I lube it with? I don’t want to have to take off the door panel if I don’t have to lol