GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
So I installed my new shift knob yesterday and when I had the boot off I noticed this piece was completely ripped apart. Is this going to cause any issues down the road? Car only has 4500 miles on it... Also worried if I try to have the dealership fix it they will blame me for ripping it but it was like that when I took the boot off.
Mine was already ripped when I took the shift boot trim off. As KyACRASH said, it's brittle and will tear from regular shifting.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Mine was already ripped when I took the shift boot trim off. As KyACRASH said, it's brittle and will tear from regular shifting.

I wonder why VW uses that material if it doesn't last very long? Is that another example of cost savings?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think it was designed for sound deadening, perhaps longevity was an oversight....

I agree it's for sound deadening but certainly VW knows that it doesn't last very long so why not use a better material?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I guess most people would never even know if they didn't remove the shift boot.

True but if it's for sound deadening and it doesn't last very long and VW won't use a material that would last why bother putting anything there?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
True but if it's for sound deadening and it doesn't last very long and VW won't use a material that would last why bother putting anything there?
it's still functional. the foam goes down about 4-5" further and is pretty solid at the base, the only part that gets torn is towards the top where the shifter arm moves.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
it's still functional. the foam goes down about 4-5" further and is pretty solid at the base, the only part that gets torn is towards the top where the shifter arm moves.

Thanks for that clarification. Makes more sense now.

Brixy

Car(s)
2019 VW GTI
Hi, just joined. Purchased a black pearl 2019 SE towards the end of June. Probably the most fun car I've owned since my 1971 Cougar.

This forum has been incredibly helpful in getting me acquainted with my new GTI. So many great tips and collective knowledge, thanks.

Won't mod the engine due to warranty. However, immediately upgraded the sub-par OEM Bridgestone tires, they fit my kid's Mazda 3 and will eventually be used, pulled the snow-guard, added a high performance air filter, added the ECS red anodized climate control knobs and foam padded every interior compartment that can be opened, including the sun visors. It's near dead silent or at least as quiet as I would like.

So here's my stupid question: My night vision has gotten pretty poor over the years, so I don't drive much at night. Tonight I drove the GTI in the evening for the first time, and I didn't realize that the steering wheel had some sort of built in illumination. Blue lights lit up on the wheel when turning I think(?), or some other factor triggered it. I tried looking in the manual, searching here and on the web, but all the hits seem to be for led replacement steering wheel upgrades etc. So can someone clue me in concerning the illuminated steering wheel at night, and are the blue lights triggered by turning the wheel? I'm sure this is something quite basic but it's new to me. Thanks GTI compadres.

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
So I installed my new shift knob yesterday and when I had the boot off I noticed this piece was completely ripped apart. Is this going to cause any issues down the road? Car only has 4500 miles on it... Also worried if I try to have the dealership fix it they will blame me for ripping it but it was like that when I took the boot off.

Replaced my shift knob last weekend as well, 5700 or so miles and I was met with the exact same sight. Glad to see it's common, I guess.

FrgMstr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 R 19 GTI 15 GTI
Replaced my shift knob last weekend as well, 5700 or so miles and I was met with the exact same sight. Glad to see it's common, I guess.
Changed out my shift knob on my '19 R this weekend. That material was torn as well. It is extremely soft.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
Considering picking up a JB4. How do you handle state inspections? Set it to Map 0 and unplug the OBDII connector, or pull the whole unit?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Considering picking up a JB4. How do you handle state inspections? Set it to Map 0 and unplug the OBDII connector, or pull the whole unit?
Depends on what your state does for an inspection... I'm able to pass without removing the dp or tune